MKX 3.7L vs Edge Ecoboost I4 : Real World MPG and more questions

Great, the transmission in my new car is going to blow up at any minute

I Party Pack ® more 6F35 than ALL types of repairs on ALL other *conventional* automatic transmissions combined. It is far, far more failure prone. I'm glad you have had good luck, but it has an unacceptable failure rate.

Are there things an owner an do that helps prevent premature failure, like adding a transmission oil cooler?

jpd80- Change the fluid often, do a drain and fill rather than flush. If I had one, I would probably drop the side cover off and clean the gunk out as well, hoping to prolong the filter/magnet life.

Fuzzy- I wish you luck.

Sully- that seems cheap for a HF35. Transfer gear bearing blow through the case in the damper housing?

akirby- As Fordtech has pointed out, the 50/55 just doesn't fail in civilian use very often, and certainly not at the level that the 6F35 does, and if it does, it does not stick to the pattern that the 6F35 does. We call them Party Packs® for a reason. It's always the same parts.

I remember a few years ago most people on here were saying the same things about the DPoS6. "its only x percent" "Its not as bad as you say" "the new ones aren't as bad as the old ones" The 6F35 is NOT as big a failure as the DPoS6, but a lot of them have issues that the owner ignores because they keep moving.

Eh, let it fail if it's going to fail. It's another lease and anything that happens while I have it will be under warranty.

Of course but it it was a keeper then following YTS90C's advice would be prudent..

Change the fluid often, do a drain and fill rather than flush. If I had one, I would probably drop the side cover off and clean the gunk out as well, hoping to prolong the filter/magnet life.

Why you should always get the tow package on any Ford vehicle if it is offered, you get a higher rated transmission and transmission cooler.

In the F150s, you get the auxiliary trans cooler (and SST), but the transmission is the same. At least on the 12th Gen F-150s, all of the 6R80s routed the fluid through a heat exchanger in the radiator; the tow package just added the auxiliary cooler.

Question: why not install only the more robust 6F50/55 across the board? Is there a technical reason, or is this a cost-saving measure?

It would have to be a technical reason; it would almost certainly cost less if Ford could standardize on a single transaxle. My guess is that the engines coupled to the 6F35 don't make enough torque for the 6F50/55 to give an acceptable driving experience.

I'm just guessing, but maybe it has something to do with length? The 4 bangers are longer than the V6s, leaving less room for the trans in those fwd/sideways engine setups.

Packaging issues was my second thought, but I was thinking the 6F transaxles shared a case--I remember it being a big deal how they got six gears in such a small package when the 6Fs were introduced. If I'm wrong about the cases, packaging could very well be it.

Packaging issues was my second thought, but I was thinking the 6F transaxles shared a case--I remember it being a big deal how they got six gears in such a small package when the 6Fs were introduced. If I'm wrong about the cases, packaging could very well be it.

This, the 2.3 EB was a late inclusion after global Ranger engine bay was locked in,

it's essentially a piggy back on the final T6 Gen 1 global truck so it's easier to change

engine accessories than to tear up a locked in design.

Hi Anthony, avoid the Ford 3.7L V6 if you value fuel efficiency and smoothness. It gets even worse fuel economy than the V6 in your Chevy Traverse. I had a Ford Explorer 3.5L V6 non-turbo a few years back as a rental vehicle. Fuel economy was pretty bad. Barely 15 mpg in mostly city driving. Lots of vibration and noise too. I would expect 3.7L V6 which is a bored out version of the 3.5L to perform similarly.

New generation Ecoboost 4-cylinder in 2019 Ford Edge should be peppy enough for everyday driving and reasonably smooth. It should get better fuel economy than the V6.

Good luck with your test drives sir!

Hi Anthony, avoid the Ford 3.7L V6 if you value fuel efficiency and smoothness. It gets even worse fuel economy than the V6 in your Chevy Traverse. I had a Ford Explorer 3.5L V6 non-turbo a few years back as a rental vehicle. Fuel economy was pretty bad. Barely 15 mpg in mostly city driving. Lots of vibration and noise too.

We’re getting 21 mpg with our 2016 3.7L MkX. Other than some exterior exhaust noise it’s very smooth. Not as much low end torque as the ecoboost but good power once it revs up.

Cost, weight, parasitic loss. 6F35 uses lighter thrust bearings, bushings and other components where the bigger trans has full caged rollers in areas that the 6F35 doesn't. The difference in assembly weight is only about 40lbs, give or take, so weight is not a huge factor, but at the same time, when every ounce counts, it is. The 6F50/55 is physically large, so it probably wouldn't fit in the smaller vehicles. Fusion Sports' powertrains are absolutely shoehorned in, and must be the lower limit platform wise as to where it can be put. All the internal components of the bigger trans are bigger. Most of the weight difference is there. This causes higher moment of inertia and higher parasitic loss. So, back to the example of the ecoboost 4 to the 3.5... a big, torque-y V6 is not going to be as affected by this than the 4, both in driving experience and fuel use.

Well, to bring this back on topic, we went today and signed the paperwork for a 2018 Edge SEL.

Much to the chagrin of the posts above, it is the I4 Ecoboost. Its a lease so if the trans does have issues, it'll be taken care of.

We got:

SEL AWD

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Panoramic Vista Roof

201A package

• Leather
  • Heated seats
  • SYNC 3 /
  • Premium Audio

Cold Weather Package

• Heated Steering Wheel
  • Floor Liners, Front and Rear
  • Windshield Wiper De-Icer

Ford Safe and Smart Package

• Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Forward Collision Warning with brake support
  • Auto-dimming Driver’s side view mirror
  • Auto high-beam headlamps
  • BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert,
  • Lane-Keeping System
  • Rain-sensing front windshield wipers

The only thing that seems extremely weird to me is that it has all of the above stuff but no motorized liftgate?

Either way, the wife was extremely pleased with how it drove and they gave us an extremely fair price for the Chevy trade-in (on the nose with what I was expecting). Between the X-Plan and rebates, the deal was a no-brainer and stress-free. We pick it up on Thursday.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 4

Heated steering wheels are better than heated seats.

We had the heated steering wheel on the Traverse. Definitely one of those things where if you dont have it, you dont know what you are missing.

We are giving up a few options going to the Edge from the Traverse: no more cooled seats, DVD entertainment for the kids and the worst being losing the power lift gate. But the vehicle is great, right-sized and much easier to live with on a daily basis. No complaints here!