MKX 3.7L vs Edge Ecoboost I4 : Real World MPG and more questions

No luck - only shows 2018s like you said. I wonder if that was a demo and that's why it's not showing up? Just ask them to run X plan pricing on it - that will include any rebates. If there is dealer cash available that usually shows up as an additional X plan rebate.

No luck - only shows 2018s like you said. I wonder if that was a demo and that's why it's not showing up? Just ask them to run X plan pricing on it - that will include any rebates. If there is dealer cash available that usually shows up as an additional X plan rebate.

Can you use X-plan? I though the last day you could was March 31st of the calendar year following the model year. So a 2017 last day it could be sold is March 31, 2018.

Can you use X-plan? I though the last day you could was March 31st of the calendar year following the model year. So a 2017 last day it could be sold is March 31, 2018.

It just says current and prior model year - doesn't give any cutoff dates. But it doesn't show up in the normal online inventory either that's why I thought it might be a demo.

Hey, no problem, thanks for checking!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It just says current and prior model year - doesn't give any cutoff dates. But it doesn't show up in the normal online inventory either that's why I thought it might be a demo.

Good question on it being a demo. I really don't know. I just see it in their "new inventory". I'm heading there on Saturday to let the kids sit in the Edge / MKX to make sure everybody and their stuff can fit nicely. I'll check out the mileage and status then. We are going for test drives and working the numbers on Tuesday (sans children)

The 2.7L EB is awesome, maybe not as quiet and smooth at the bottom as I would like, but the engine finds that silent rubber-band power with the turbos once it's moving and it's so much fun.

There is a pretty big difference in the driving dynamics between a standard MKX and a Reserve MKX because of things like Adaptive Steering and Drive Control, but all of that chasis tech really works some magic.

Edited by Assimilator

The 2.7L EB is awesome, maybe not as quiet and smooth at the bottom as I would like, but the engine finds that silent rubber-band power with the turbos once it's moving and it's so much fun.

There is a pretty big difference in the driving dynamics between a standard MKX and a Reserve MKX because of things like Adaptive Steering and Drive Control, but all of that chasis tech really works some magic.

Adaptive steering is optional even on a Reserve, and Drive Control is only available on AWD models.

Oh hell no. I am not going for yet another craptastic Ford transmission, the V6 is starting to sound much better now. Haha. Lots of people are surprised I'm still buying a Ford after having the infamous Focus DCT.

I thought Chrysler was the ones who had bad trans?

Ive seen 6f35 trans last a long time and Ive seen a lot of them need repair. Its a crap shoot. The 6F50/55 has a very low repair rate aside from Range sensors and ISS and OSS sensors. I would take the latter any day. However Ive personally had a 09 escape that it had over 200k without being tore down

• Like 1

Fordtech- I freely admit, I stole it. I will give you credit for it though. And use it often now. :)

Akirby and silversvt- The older transmissions' converter strategy was far different, but they had much more issue with the solenoid pressure control valve damaging the valve body. On all Ecoboost (especially the 1.5 and 1.6) they rely too heavily on the converter clutch to dampen NVH. This makes a nice slurry of wear material for the trans to fight, and they reduced the quality of the solenoids in the trans, which compounds the issue. The replacement filters for the later trans include double the magnet capacity to try to fight this but I have yet to see a production trans with the updated filter in it. Couple that with existing 6F35 issues that have never been fully addressed, and your safe money is with a 6F50/55, given the choice. On a good note, 6F35 parts are ridiculously cheap. Very hard to total one out for a warranty claim or customer repair.

Frankly, if the DPoS6 didn't exist, you would all readily know the issues with the '35.

Advise I give EVERYONE when purchasing a car from ANY maker: Go to car-part dot com and price major components. If they are cheap that component is reliable. Price an AWD 50/55 from any year vs a 35 for the same year.

Edited by YT90SC

I Party Pack ® more 6F35 than ALL types of repairs on ALL other *conventional* automatic transmissions combined. It is far, far more failure prone. I'm glad you have had good luck, but it has an unacceptable failure rate.

Of course it’s an unacceptably high failure rate. But you still have to put it in perspective. Between Fusion/MKZ, Escape/MKC, Edge/MKX and TC they’re probably selling over 500K per year. That’s 2.5 million over the last 5 years alone. If there were 250K tranny failures (which seems high) that’s still only a 10% failure rate. So 9 out of 10 don’t fail. It’s still bad and far higher than it should be but percentage wise it’s not as bad as it sounds.

This is looking like a real easy decision. The 2.7 engine is the cream of the crop. Plus the V6s get the better trans. AND your dealer somehow still has a leftover 2017 Lincoln (in the color you want), with the the 2.7, even though 2019s are already hitting lots. Just go make a deal on it already! The dealer wants nothing to do with 2017s hanging around at this point and is almost guaranteed to beat whatever incentives exist for the 18s.

Of course its an unacceptably high failure rate. But you still have to put it in perspective. Between Fusion/MKZ, Escape/MKC, Edge/MKX and TC theyre probably selling over 500K per year. Thats 2.5 million over the last 5 years alone. If there were 250K tranny failures (which seems high) thats still only a 10% failure rate. So 9 out of 10 dont fail. Its still bad and far higher than it should be but percentage wise its not as bad as it sounds.

Also on that same note. The 6F50/55 is in edge, explorer, flex, mkx, mks, mkt, Taurus from 2007+ on some and 2009+ on others and the failure rate is much lower with a large amount in the market place.

Edited by fordtech1
  • Like 1

This is looking like a real easy decision. The 2.7 engine is the cream of the crop. Plus the V6s get the better trans. AND your dealer somehow still has a leftover 2017 Lincoln (in the color you want), with the the 2.7, even though 2019s are already hitting lots. Just go make a deal on it already! The dealer wants nothing to do with 2017s hanging around at this point and is almost guaranteed to beat whatever incentives exist for the 18s.

You would think so....but why is it still there? I'll find out more when we yak with the sale guy.