MKX 3.7L vs Edge Ecoboost I4 : Real World MPG and more questions

The first generation 2.0L Ecoboost in Ford, Lincoln, Jaguar, and Land Rover vehicles had severe turbo lag. Newer Ecoboost engines like 2.3L in your MKC and second generation 2.0L in Anthony's Edge are much better. Turbo lag with these engines is minor and not bothersome at all. Same deal with JLR Ingenium gasoline turbo engines.

The newer Ecoboost and Ingenium engines use twin-scroll turbocharger and optimized software for controlling boost. Those things really help reduce turbo lag and improve driveability.

Wrong.....I don't think you have any idea what the word "severe" means in relation to turbo lag, I have driven several EB motors and have found none...how many have you driven or owned?

Edited by twintornados

I kinda like lag myself. On my 2000 ranger that sports the T3 turbo off an 86 'bird, there's no boost at all until about 2100 rpm. But cruising at 2400 rpm, it's right on the threshold where the turbo can vary manifold vaccuum/boost up to about 5 psi just in response to engine load without really moving the throttle. It's great for floating hills. Just let the turbo match engine output to demand.

The lag is really a non-issue. If you want to go fast, just shift later. No lag at all by 2800 rpm.

Lag also makes it possible to hook. I'm making about the same power as a well tuned street cam'd 5.0HO windsor, but way faster than the V8 rangers that don't hook worth a ****.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

In something like a GDIT with an Auto trans,you're not going to experience any appreciable lag

but make that a manual trans and it's possible to be in the wrong gear below the tip in of the turbo.

That transition from light throttle to full power and the time the turbo takes to spool up has been all but eliminated

by the use of smaller turbos and auto with more gears.

Edited by jpd80