MKX 3.7L vs Edge Ecoboost I4 : Real World MPG and more questions

We had the heated steering wheel on the Traverse. Definitely one of those things where if you dont have it, you dont know what you are missing.

We are giving up a few options going to the Edge from the Traverse: no more cooled seats, DVD entertainment for the kids and the worst being losing the power lift gate. But the vehicle is great, right-sized and much easier to live with on a daily basis. No complaints here!

I'm awaiting our 3 cold days this year where I can use the heated steering wheel in my Mustang. I'm waiting for the cooled steering wheel haha.

Cooled seats imo arent worth it. The barely work in my SHO, so I dont use them. Heated seats are great through.

You obviously don't live in the south! The cooled seats definitely are worth it when you get into a 100+ degree car.

I'm awaiting our 3 cold days this year where I can use the heated steering wheel in my Mustang. I'm waiting for the cooled steering wheel haha.

You obviously don't live in the south! The cooled seats definitely are worth it when you get into a 100+ degree car.

The ones in our 2003 Aviator would freeze you out in just a few minutes especially if you back was sweaty. We used to use them all the time after a hot tennis match. The new ones just don't work as well but they are better than nothing.

The ones in our 2003 Aviator would freeze you out in just a few minutes especially if you back was sweaty. We used to use them all the time after a hot tennis match. The new ones just don't work as well but they are better than nothing.

The ones in my mom's '04 Expy were good too....much quieter than whatever loud units they use now. But the Mustang's work pretty well.

The ones in my mom's '04 Expy were good too....much quieter than whatever loud units they use now. But the Mustang's work pretty well.

The cooled seats in my Mustang are disappointing. They are loud, but not very effective. The heating element works great in cold weather, but the cooling feature doesn’t do much.

Well, to bring this back on topic, we went today and signed the paperwork for a 2018 Edge SEL.

Much to the chagrin of the posts above, it is the I4 Ecoboost. Its a lease so if the trans does have issues, it'll be taken care of.

We got:

SEL AWD

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Panoramic Vista Roof

201A package

• Leather
  • Heated seats
  • SYNC 3 /
  • Premium Audio

Cold Weather Package

• Heated Steering Wheel
  • Floor Liners, Front and Rear
  • Windshield Wiper De-Icer

Ford Safe and Smart Package

• Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Forward Collision Warning with brake support
  • Auto-dimming Driver’s side view mirror
  • Auto high-beam headlamps
  • BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert,
  • Lane-Keeping System
  • Rain-sensing front windshield wipers

The only thing that seems extremely weird to me is that it has all of the above stuff but no motorized liftgate?

Either way, the wife was extremely pleased with how it drove and they gave us an extremely fair price for the Chevy trade-in (on the nose with what I was expecting). Between the X-Plan and rebates, the deal was a no-brainer and stress-free. We pick it up on Thursday.

Congrats! I hope she's happy, so you can be happy ...

We have been looking at midsize utilities to replace Kate's Cruze when the lease is up next summer.

She wants something bigger than she has now but smaller then my Flex. The baby is coming in March... ;)

Big congrats on the new vehicle, I think you made the right choice...not that there was a bad one to make. And you won't have issues with that transmission, my Dad put 70K miles on his with not a single problem.

And I agree, once you have a heated steering wheel, it's the last amenity you want to give up.

Edited by Assimilator

Congrats Anthony sir on your family's new Ford Edge! As others have mentioned, you won't miss the V6 engine. New generation Ecoboost 4-cylinder is well suited to Ford Edge. Other than slight turbo lag (much better than older Ecoboost engines), I don't think you'll have any complaints. Keep us posted on the fuel economy numbers after the Edge is broken in.

Enjoy your new vehicle!

Edited by rperez817

Congrats! I hope she's happy, so you can be happy ...

We have been looking at midsize utilities to replace Kate's Cruze when the lease is up next summer.

She wants something bigger than she has now but smaller then my Flex. The baby is coming in March... ;)

Holy guacamole! CONGRATS!!!!????

it gets plenty hot in NJ-but if they don't really work or change the seat temp-why use them?

I know the older models worked better and it seems like your stuck with them if you want heated seats in most higher end Ford products.

Congrats Anthony sir on your family's new Ford Edge! As others have mentioned, you won't miss the V6 engine. New generation Ecoboost 4-cylinder is well suited to Ford Edge. Other than slight turbo lag (much better than older Ecoboost engines), I don't think you'll have any complaints. Keep us posted on the fuel economy numbers after the Edge is broken in.

Enjoy your new vehicle!

2017 MKC with the 2.3L EB and zero turbo lag. I step on the gas, that motor wakes right up with no waiting at all....you may be confused by all the Ingenium turbo lag complaints over on the Jaguar boards.

• Like 1

Probably more like torque limiting in the lower RPMs than turbo lag. 2.7L my Fusion Sport isnt all that responsive when not in sport mode.

No torque limiting on a 2.0LEB. The Electronic Throttle Control has a built in lag to make it less sensitive in normal driving. You can buy devices to defeat it or get a tune.

2017 MKC with the 2.3L EB and zero turbo lag. I step on the gas, that motor wakes right up with no waiting at all....you may be confused by all the Ingenium turbo lag complaints over on the Jaguar boards.

The first generation 2.0L Ecoboost in Ford, Lincoln, Jaguar, and Land Rover vehicles had severe turbo lag. Newer Ecoboost engines like 2.3L in your MKC and second generation 2.0L in Anthony's Edge are much better. Turbo lag with these engines is minor and not bothersome at all. Same deal with JLR Ingenium gasoline turbo engines.

The newer Ecoboost and Ingenium engines use twin-scroll turbocharger and optimized software for controlling boost. Those things really help reduce turbo lag and improve driveability.