Ford Shrugs Off Being Outsold by FCA: It's a Function of Timing

I was watching some dash cam crash videos the other day. I saw there was a Fusion in Europe. I did not know that.

American perceptions are short lived. It's not like the Fusion was a bad car. They could keep the name. Or not. I'm not that stuck on it.

Euro Fusion was a completely different vehicle. Current Fusion is Mondeo in Europe.

They did not have to say they were killing sedans especially when Fusion was planned to stay in production for at least 2 more years. They could say we're investing in these new areas and reallocating resources and leave it at that.

This 100%.

There are any number of other things that could have and should have taken place. The original plan was to shift Focus to Hermosillo

to make room for Ranger - why not fall back that, get the costs in better shape and just make Hermosillo into a multi - product plant.

If Focus and Fusion sales continue to drop then that would open up more production space for the new small Cs planned (natural attrition).

That might be too simplistic but thinking how Ford manages Valencia with six different products - it could have been a good transition plan

for Hermosillo to let car production reduce as the new Utes take up the production space.. but yes, all too late now.....

Edited by jpd80

This 100%.

There are any number of other things that could have and should have taken place. The original plan was to shift Focus to Hermosillo

to make room for Ranger - why not fall back that, get the costs in better shape and just make Hermosillo into a multi - product plant.

If Focus and Fusion sales continue to drop then that would open up more production space for the new small Cs planned (natural attrition).

That might be too simplistic but thinking how Ford manages Valencia with six different products - it could have been a good transition plan.

Build both on C2 and build them there.

Build both on C2 and build them there.

They had choices but chose to do nothing and have now landed in a big null area.

We all agree that decent refreshes of products would have avoided the collapse in sales,

that was almost deliberately engineered by Fields for whatever reason possessed him....

The opportunity has been missed.

Edited by jpd80

I thought the same thing - make them all C2 and just change production volumes to suit current market conditions. But I suspect that Ford could not afford to put those resources into keeping Focus and Fusion in other areas (engineering, etc.). All of the new hybrids, Ranger, Bronco, Maverick, Model E along with keeping F150, Transit, Super Duty, TC and Mustang updated are putting a strain on resources.

I thought the same thing - make them all C2 and just change production volumes to suit current market conditions. But I suspect that Ford could not afford to put those resources into keeping Focus and Fusion in other areas (engineering, etc.). All of the new hybrids, Ranger, Bronco, Maverick, Model E along with keeping F150, Transit, Super Duty, TC and Mustang updated are putting a strain on resources.

I wonder if the long term plan IS to just come out with C2 everything (sedan wise) in the future once they get this other product onslaught out and rolling.

You getting your generations mixed up? Gen X is older the millennial's and Gen Z is younger then them.

Gen Z is like the anti-millennial. They are pretty much a mix of Gen X and Millenials but with less common sense than both and a very short attention span. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

You getting your generations mixed up? Gen X is older the millennial's and Gen Z is younger then them.

I know, Gen Z is younger and they like cars, they don't want to drive the SUV's that their parents did and they like driving and the independence that it gives them. Gen Z is a very interesting generation. They are way more driven than Millennials and have very different tastes than they do.

Gen Z is like the anti-millennial. They are pretty much a mix of Gen X and Millenials but with less common sense than both and a very short attention span.

The funny thing is going by social media, people are making fun of Millennials, when most of them are in their 20-30s now when they are actually making fun of Gen Z?

Also found out I'm not really Gen X or a Millenial-I was born more or less between the two groups in the 1970s-we grew up with the early tech we have today, but weren't completely engulfed by it like Gen Z or Millennials or had to worry about social media like they do.

Edited by silvrsvt

The funny thing is going by social media, people are making fun of Millennials, when most of them are in their 20-30s now when they are actually making fun of Gen Z?

Also found out I'm not really Gen X or a Millenial-I was born more or less between the two groups in the 1970s-we grew up with the early tech we have today, but weren't completely engulfed by it like Gen Z or Millennials or had to worry about social media like they do.

You'd be part of the Oregon Trail Generation or Xennials. (1977-1983) That's where I fall too, it's a micro generation as there was a massive digital shift when we were growing up.

Gen Z kids are just graduating high school born in ~2000 or later where Millennial were born 1984-1999 roughly.

I identify with Gen X and Millennials, but not Gen Z which is where I'm really beginning to recognize a substantial cultural divide as I approach 40. Essentially Gen Z is the generation in which there is very little shared cultural experiences and touchstones.

I'm also old enough to understand how Generational categorization becomes a thing to make older people feel better about themselves.

But generally speaking I'm from a generation that grew up during the consumer technology and internet boom of the 80's and 90's which is why I find it hard to identify with Gen X in particular, but I also remember life before and after major innovations. It's also why I generally approach nostalgia with criticism because I've seen how much life improves with constant and major innovation.

There is a MASSIVE divide in car culture between the generations as well, mostly because there really isn't one beyond the Millennials. I'm from the generation that hated American cars and idolized everything Japanese. Millennials and beyond are generally German or Tesla...or uber. Few in my generation cares about vintage muscle, that's definitely something that will fade away with the Baby Boomers and older Gen X. This is why I think it's fundamental that Mustang find a way to transform itself or it risks becoming a boring anachronism next to everything electric. I know my generation is about to hit the 40s and I don't know any of them who cares about Mustang at all, including myself. I think they are going to fix that soon.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

I identify with Gen X and Millennials, but not Gen Z which is where I'm really beginning to recognize a substantial cultural divide as I approach 40. Essentially Gen Z is the generation in which there is very little shared cultural experiences and touchstones.

I'm also old enough to understand how Generational categorization becomes a thing to make older people feel better about themselves.

But generally speaking I'm from a generation that grew up during the consumer technology and internet boom of the 80's and 90's which is why I find it hard to identify with Gen X in particular, but I also remember life before and after major innovations. It's also why I generally approach nostalgia with criticism because I've seen how much life improves with constant and major innovation.

There is a MASSIVE divide in car culture between the generations as well, mostly because there really isn't one beyond the Millennials. I'm from the generation that hated American cars and idolized everything Japanese. Millennials and beyond are generally German or Tesla...or uber. Few in my generation cares about vintage muscle, that's definitely something that will fade away with the Baby Boomers and older Gen X. This is why I think it's fundamental that Mustang find a way to transform itself or it risks becoming a boring anachronism next to everything electric. I know my generation is about to hit the 40s and I don't know any of them who cares about Mustang at all, including myself. I think they are going to fix that soon.

Thats kind funny because I know quite a few people in my age bracket that like cars from the 1960s. Still lots of Mustang fans out there-vast majority of people in their 20s cant lt afford them with insurance costs etc. I scrimped by when I had mine and gave up other things instead.

Generalizations are Generalaztions though.