2020 Ford F-150 hybrid to be built at Dearborn Truck Plant

For the F-150 It's a 3.5L EB Hybrid with the hybrid generator built into the housing of the Transmission.

F-150 is also getting a BEV.

The Ranger is not getting an HEV but the Bronco is getting the 2.7L HEV, same 10-Spd Hybrid Transmission. Ranger may get the HEV when it's redesigned for 2023, although I have no indications that's confirmed yet. Old Ranger has significant engineering limitations and it's a more price sensitive customer for a tech that's expensive.

Mustang V8 also getting that HEV transmission.

This is the same Hybrid transmission already undergoing hands-on testing in the 2020 PIU with the 3.3L V6. That will be the first application available to the public. I believe the 3.0L PHEV version for Aviator is running behind but that's yet another engine being coupled with this design.

The HEV treatment is still fairly expensive, adds another $4K at least to a vehicle's price, PHEV is going to be way up there. It's geared towards performance in most applications, getting more power out of smaller engines rather than just getting more economy out of them. It seems appropriate for Ford as it moves to larger more expensive vehicles for their core volume. I don't see any plans to couple them with I4s yet outside of the FWD Hybrids which use a very different uncoupled design geared toward higher mileage economy like their current hybrids. Their C2 AWD PHEV Hybrid adds a direct drive motor to the rear wheels which is where the Corsair gets the exclusive (and the fun). Ford's RWD HEVs and PHEVs are by far and away the most innovative electrification strategy coming to any automaker. The C2 HEVs get available AWD, only the Corsair PHEV gets AWD (standard).

It's all really great stuff on a larger scale than we've seen previously. This is the Ford I remember.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Id assume the Bronco and Ranger would get a similar system since its tied to the transmission. The Mustang also. Im just curious about the details on it.

As BORG said, it seems like basically anything that uses the 10-speed will get it. Bronco would presumably get it first, then Ranger get it after its redesign.

Is any of this tech comin to the expy or navi? I thought they were getting the hybrid 3.5l too.

I can't imagine they wouldn't receive the same tech. If they don't it's a big mistake, IMO.

? the Ranger redesign is the chassis the Bronco will be on no....so wont they just be released the same time frame….

It sounds like Bronco may get the hybrid from the get-go, whereas Ranger would get it after being moved to the new platform/redesign. Unless they do something stupid and delay the Bronco hybrid launch for years until Ranger is redesigned.

• Like 1

Isn't the whole point of the Bronco to compete directly with the Wrangler?

Compete with or be different to?

If you say compete then, the inference is that most buyers will be drawn form there

but if it's different to Wrangler then, buyers will be drawn mostly from other areas.

A lot of interest in Bronco is coming from Mustang buyers....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, I obviously misunderstood the context of the term, "Competes directly".

It does and it doesn't for reasons that will become more obvious the closer we get to reveal.

When you see Bronco, you will understand that it's more a fulfillment of a promise to Ford buyers

to deliver a "Ford Brand Iconic Vehicle" than to deliver a Jeep competitor but it doesn't hurt to

remind buyers that there's another player in town....

Edited by jpd80