Edge ST races Focus ST & Fiesta ST

Well, it certainly won't make car fans happy since it's drawing the conclusion that Ford's ST utilities are faster than the cars they are dropping. Ultimately I think it's meant to just bring awareness to the Edge ST more than pass the baton. Obviously Focus/Fiesta ST customers aren't shopping Edge. I don't see a 2020 Escape ST on the docket which is a little surprising to me, but I know Ford is having a harder time charging more for Escape as the market gets crowded and competitive. They are trying to cut costs out of the Escape we have right now.

Either way Ford is just consolidating its shrinking performance portfolio with a clearer/better differentiated sub-brand, something less generic than "Sport" anyway.

Edited by Assimilator

Obviously Focus/Fiesta ST customers aren't shopping Edge. I don't see a 2020 Escape ST on the docket which is a little surprising to me, but I know Ford is having a harder time charging more for Escape as the market gets crowded and competitive. They are trying to cut costs out of the Escape we have right now.

Either way Ford is just consolidating its shrinking performance portfolio with a clearer/better differentiated sub-brand, something less generic than "Sport" anyway.

Which is just dumb if they don't do an Escape ST, Ford would have the ONLY performance SUV from a volume manufacture on the market. Ford is trying to cut costs out of any product they have on the market - even the F-Series.

Which is just dumb if they don't do an Escape ST, Ford would have the ONLY performance SUV from a volume manufacture on the market. Ford is trying to cut costs out of any product they have on the market - even the F-Series.

It's especially dumb because the Kuga is getting the treatment, maybe it'll show up with a MCE. I know their big push for Escape will be HEV and PHEV, I think too many standout variations up front will distract from their marketing focus on that.

It's especially dumb because the Kuga is getting the treatment, maybe it'll show up with a MCE. I know their big push for Escape will be HEV and PHEV, I think too many standout variations up front will distract from their marketing focus on that.

Then again, the Escape has never had a true "sport" trim in North America.

Kuga is getting a ST - or is it just the ST-Line appearance package?

Well, it certainly won't make car fans happy since it's drawing the conclusion that Ford's ST utilities are faster than the cars they are dropping.

"Utility" ???

I bought an Edge to replace a 10 year old Milan a couple of years ago not even thinking of it as a CUV. Just another car with a slightly taller seating position, good rear leg room, and a hatch back!

"Utility" ???

I bought an Edge to replace a 10 year old Milan a couple of years ago not even thinking of it as a CUV. Just another car with a slightly taller seating position, good rear leg room, and a hatch back!

Officially, yes it is a utility. What else would the "U" stand for? Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Ford would be downright stupid not to make an Escape St within 12-18 months of the 2020 model coming out.

I'd love to see an Escape with the 2.3 instead of Lincoln exclusive. If I had to replace my son's '07 Montego, I'd likely shop a used MKC with the 2.3EB and hand him down my Escape.

Looking on Fuelly, I'm seeing guys getting better mileage with the 2.3EB than my first gen 2.0EB. More power, better mileage, why NOT! :-)

• Like 1

Well since "supposedly" the Escape/Corsair or growing, I'm guessing maybe the 2.3L would trickle down, what would the Corsair bring to the table? 2.7L would be overkill IMO, but in the compact crossover group, the 2.3L gives the MKC bragging rights compared to the competition. The 2.3L could easily make a bit more power next go around than just 285HP.

Well since "supposedly" the Escape/Corsair or growing, I'm guessing maybe the 2.3L would trickle down, what would the Corsair bring to the table? 2.7L would be overkill IMO, but in the compact crossover group, the 2.3L gives the MKC bragging rights compared to the competition. The 2.3L could easily make a bit more power next go around than just 285HP.

The Corsair is going to have the same hybrid powertain as the NG Focus RS. Power will not be a problem for it. Think 350+ with instant torque.

In the context of the quote and thread I had assumed people would understand as it was about an Escape ST in the Compact SUV category.

My fault, then. I'm very sleep-deprived these days.

At any rate, I like the idea. The only other mainstream manufacturers that could make a competitor using off-the-shelf parts might be Volkswagen (Tiguan R) and Honda (CRV Type R), and I believe the latter couldn't care less about making a fun CRV.

Someone else mentioned that the Kuga was getting the ST-Line treatment across the pond (read: no extra power). That would be a waste of time for our Escape here... either make it hot or don't bother teasing us.