Cadillac Moving Headquarters Back to Detroit

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/26/cadillac-moving-detroit-leaving-new-york-city/

The move to Manhattan was meant to give Cadillac more autonomy and put its leadership in a place where they could get a sense of what a luxury car buyer wants and needs. Detroit is great, but it can be an echo chamber, especially in a company as large and storied as General Motors. The problem is that Cadillac still relies heavily on Detroit and that poor communication was slowing development, according to the report.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 1

Heres my take on it. If you dont try anything different you will never change. Failure or not, I dont fault them for trying. I just question the research in that idea. Unfortunately it looks like they are a drift similar to the way Lincoln has been perceived.

GM has spent a ton of money on Cadillac - and Cadillac is still basically where Lincoln is at in terms of public perception.

The Cadillac turnaround effort is on decade three...

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

GM has spent a ton of money on Cadillac - and Cadillac is still basically where Lincoln is at in terms of public perception.

The Cadillac turnaround effort is on decade three...

Eh, I'd say Cadillac is ahead of Lincoln perception-wise. But they're not THAT far ahead when you consider the billions upon billions that have been thrown their way since '99 or so.

Eh, I'd say Cadillac is ahead of Lincoln perception-wise. But they're not THAT far ahead when you consider the billions upon billions that have been thrown their way since '99 or so.

They dont call them ghetto-lac for nothing. My personal opinion is the styling is played out. Everything still reminds me of the 2003 CTS when it came out. Stealth bomber look. Some of the new stuff is much better but still doesnt say wow to me.

I don't see many Cadillacs in the driveways of upscale neighborhoods around here. One is more likely to see a GMC Yukon Denali in those neighborhoods than a Cadillac.

Where I'm at in rich neighborhoods I only see CT6, CTS and XT5 as the only GMs period, no Escalade but I see loaded Suburbans for some reason.

Where I'm at in rich neighborhoods I only see CT6, CTS and XT5 as the only GMs period, no Escalade but I see loaded Suburbans for some reason.

Probably because a loaded Suburban is a better value than a similarly equipped Escalade.

There's also that rich rapper bling image the Escalade has that a fair amount of rich white people don't want to be associated with.

I still see Cadillac as aggressively obnoxious, inauthentic, and unsophisticated. It's a parody of a European carmaker and a perpetual CEO pet project with its priorities way out of wack. They are the VERY last luxury product I would ever consider.

So you want them to make retiree garbage like in the 90s?.

Refresh my memory here, wasnt Lincoln design and/or marketing based in Cali for a very brief period?

Yes, Lincoln (along with Mercury) HQ was re-located in Irvine California at one point, and then Ford moved PAG HQ there as well....

https://siteselection.com/ssinsider/bbdeal/bd000403.htm(article from 4/03/2000)

Call it another strong shot of "Motown West": On the heels of Lincoln-Mercury's historic move 18 months ago, Ford Motor Co. (www.ford.com) has announced that it's also locating its Premier Automotive Group (PAG) headquarters in Irvine, Calif.
  • Like 1

I never understood the move to NYC. They moved to a city where most people don't own a car. Atlanta/Miami/Dallas/Houston/LA would have all been a much better option.

Crossroads of the World - Wall Street - World Trade - Most populous city in the USA

New York City has been described uniquely as the cultural, financial, and media capital of the world, and exerts a significant impact upon commerce, entertainment, research, technology, education, politics, tourism, art, fashion, and sports. (From Wikipedia)

When I see Cadillac, I see a BMW chaser performance wise and roughly the same Cadi design language for almost 20 years. They make great performance cars, no doubt about that. However, they aren't my cup of tea. I think the thing people fail to realize is that despite being on a 20 year turn around, Cadillac doesn't sell much more than Lincoln. I almost think they have dumped at least 10 times the amount Lincoln has as well. I am sure the bankruptcy helped GM forget about that. They focused way too much on cars when SUV/CUV market was booming. I think they bought into the hype that ring times sell luxury cars.