Ford expands partnership talks with VW and Manhindra to cut costs

How old are you and whats your driving record like? That just insane. Most Ive ever paid out of pocket was $2600 a year because I had a major accident with my Mustang the year before-it was actually cheaper then the SVT Focus I had before it, before the accident.

I pay about 2200 a year for my SHO and my wifes 2017 Escape

Full coverage in Metro Detroit is going to run you $1500-$2000 per vehicle. In Detroit you're at $3000-$5000. It is not uncommon for people in the City to have insurance cost more than the payment. It is also why so many people don't have insurance.

Full coverage in Metro Detroit is going to run you $1500-$2000 per vehicle. In Detroit you're at $3000-$5000. It is not uncommon for people in the City to have insurance cost more than the payment. It is also why so many people don't have insurance.

Here in Pennsylvania, we have this problem in Philadelphia. This results in a very high percentage of people in Philadelphia driving without insurance (and in Pennsylvania, you must have insurance to legally register your vehicle).

Edited by grbeck

Here in Pennsylvania, we have this problem in Philadelphia. This results in a very high percentage of people in Philadelphia driving without insurance (and in Pennsylvania, you must have insurance to legally register your vehicle).

Same in Michigan. There's actually agencies within the Detroit city limits that will literally sell you a policy by the day just to get registration.
  • Like 1

It wasn't that long ago that insurance verification cards were the most frequently falsified documents in this state. I don't think they still are, as we've gone to electronic insurance registration. Your little fake insurance card won't do you any good, as the tax man knows when you're bad or good...

I doubt they have any tech that Ford wants. What they have is access to a huge potential market and an established manufacturing base that can build cars that won't really sell in any other market.

Agreed, and Ford could benefit from more access to their lucrative medium and heavy truck markets which would tie in with any VW collaboration as well.

• Like 1

Curious as to what tech Mahindra has that Ford wants.

It's not about technology. Mahindra has things that Ford cannot do, at least not cost effectively to compete in that part of the world.

Access to cheap cars and SUVs, knowledge of Indian market and consumer behavior, supplier network in India etc.

The way I see it, outside of North America. Ford needs to make radical changes

to put its global operations in the black and if partnering like this gets the job done,

then why not?

So, if Ford ROW partners with VW and Mahindra to develop a suit of vehicles suitable for Europe,

South America and Asia/India/China, then that will mean buyers in those regions have a different

perspective of Ford to what North American customers see.

In that instance I can see Ford Nth America wanting in on shared products for its plants there,

could this be a way of dropping C2 and getting VW shared platforms into the US and Canada

or is there going to be a line where Ford won't cross?

Sorry if this sounds like drunk typing...... :dogwalk:

Edited by jpd80

In that instance I can see Ford Nth America wanting in on shared products for its plants there,

could this be a way of dropping C2 and getting VW shared platforms into the US and Canada

Probably a line Ford won't cross, but Ford versions of the Tennessee produced Passat and Mexican Jetta to replace Fusion and Focus would be interesting but very unlikely.

The way I see it, outside of North America. Ford needs to make radical changes

to put its global operations in the black and if partnering like this gets the job done,

then why not?

Agreed.

So, if Ford ROW partners with VW and Mahindra to develop a suit of vehicles suitable for Europe,

South America and Asia/India/China, then that will mean buyers in those regions have a different

perspective of Ford to what North American customers see.

Absolutely a better choice than exiting markets.

I think we've all asked ourselves this. It would probably be the only way to bring sedans back to the USA by badge engineering VW"s Jetta or Passat as Fusions or Taurus. Although I would much rather have had Mazda be that partner... oh well.

Sorry if this sounds like drunk typing...... :dogwalk:

No, as I've stated we've all probably asked the same questions to ourselves...

Probably a line Ford won't cross, but Ford versions of the Tennessee produced Passat and Mexican Jetta to replace Fusion and Focus would be interesting but very unlikely.

I would make the Jetta a fusion and the Passat a Taurus. This would still leave the door open if they wanted to bring the ROW Focus to the USA as the Focus Active at a later date.

I would make the Jetta a fusion and the Passat a Taurus. This would still leave the door open if they wanted to bring the ROW Focus to the USA as the Focus Active at a later date.

Volkwagens MQB chassis can easily be utilized to build the entire Ford sedan line with Ford specific powertrains. MQB is a very inrteresting chassis design that allows multiple options on a common chassis design that will lower associated costs and expand availability while keeping profits rolling in.

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-plans-to-take-over-the-world-by-being-clever-646936695

Edited by twintornados

Volkwagens MQB chassis can easily be utilized to build the entire Ford sedan line with Ford specific powertrains. MQB is a very inrteresting chassis design that allows multiple options on a common chassis design that will lower associated costs and expand availability while keeping profits rolling in.

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-plans-to-take-over-the-world-by-being-clever-646936695

Reading the article in the link you posted, I think that it would be counter productive to embrace the change of VW's MQB

and then expect Ford to spend time and resources changing power train, electrical and HVAC - important things that

VW standardized.

Maximized savings come from total outsourcing of vehicles, using their plants to build those new vehicles down existing

production lines and close or reassign plants that currently produce the low or no profit Ford versions.

Traditionally, Ford Europe vehicle designs are replicated throughout the rest of the world, so if Europe makes

unprofitable vehicles then the rest of the world will be similarly affected. Change must happen at the source

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Rebadging VW cars as Fords for the US market is simply going to result in Ford's perceived quality falling off a cliff while simultaneously gaining none of the appeal that makes VW fans buy VWs. And why would Ford want to help VW in the light truck market? The last thing Ford needs is another serious competitor in the holy grail pickup market.

As for rest of world, like I've said before: if an overseas operation isn't consistently profitable while paying for it's own R&D for it's specific market, cut them loose. There's no reason American consumers should be subsidizing a money-losing operation to build unprofitable cars for people in foreign nations. The govt does a good enough job of wasting taxpayer money on those types of endeavors.

Rebadging VW cars as Fords for the US market is simply going to result in Ford's perceived quality falling off a cliff while simultaneously gaining none of the appeal that makes VW fans buy VWs. And why would Ford want to help VW in the light truck market? The last thing Ford needs is another serious competitor in the holy grail pickup market.

Given the way the NA market is-Im pretty sure we arent going to see rebadged Jettas or Golfs sold as Ford here. As for light trucks-why not build trucks they pay you for to sell in different markets? Its more or less the same senerio as GM building a different top hat for one of its nameplate. I doubt Ford would build something for another maker that is going to jeopardize its position in different markets.

I lived and was loosely connected to the last Ford/VW JV, AutoLatina.

Ford lost it A$$ in that deal.

True. But the alternative Ford was considering was to leave the market, which would also have high costs. Besides, an exit would have demaged the brand permanently in the region. And in good economic times (not so frequent, I'd agree) this region sends a good amount of money back to the headquarters.

PS: Curious about your experience in AutoLatina...