Ford expands partnership talks with VW and Manhindra to cut costs

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ford-restructuring/ford-expands-partnership-talks-with-vw-and-mahindra-to-cut-costs-idUSKCN1M61UA

Hackett’s message: Ford must put in motion plans to restructure its business now in order to secure promised costs savings, Ford executives present at the meeting said.

“We have clarity of purpose and now it’s time to take action,” Hackett told Reuters in an interview.

A key part of that plan to save money calls for Ford to deepen partnerships with other automakers around the world to share factory floor capacity and develop vehicles together, Ford executives told Reuters.

Specifically, they said Ford is engaged in talks with Germany’s Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) and India’s Mahindra (MAHM.NS) about expanding product and technology alliances.

More at the link above.

So my takeaway:

1. The VW partnership was about getting VW to chip in for the Ranger and Transit programs which in turn, Ford will design and produce a new Amarok and Transporter. But now I'm thinking Ford is going to rebadge VW Passat and passenger minivans in Europe. VW already produces 3 versions of everything in Europe for VW, SEAT, and Skoda. So adding a 4th version of Passat, Sharan, and Touran won't dramatically cost VW (and Ford) that much more money.

2. Ford is now almost certain to pull out of South America and sell the remaining operations to VW.

3. Manhindra is wearing the pants in that relationship.

The market for large sedans and wagons in Europe is still dominated by company car sales and so it is eroding at a slower rate than in the US because companies that buy the cars for the employees may limit the choice to sedans and wagons (SUV is generally more expensive to buy and operate). But the market segment overall is still on the downward trajectory. So it probably doesn't make sense for Ford to develop a new Mondeo but if VW can build one for Ford, it's a quick solution to a problem for both parties.

Same thing with minivans... Ford is a large player but it is abandoning the development of replacement because it wants to cut cost, not because it won't sell. Ford can still move a lot of them but perhaps not enough to make investment worthwhile. So if they get VW to design the replacement, it is a quick solution that will keep Ford in the market segment with little expense. Remember, the original Galaxy were co-developed with VW back in the 1990s... we may end up in the same place again.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

The Ford/VW partnership has always made a ton of sense to me, especially for Europe and North America. Both companies are facing profit and growth challenges in their historic volume segments so they either have to scrap those businesses or find ways to improve efficiency. It's hard to sacrifice that much market, Ford NA can do it because they have FAR greater customer diversity and profits, but in Europe they would disappear overnight if they had to let go of their loss leaders.

Edited by Assimilator

And this my friends will be the END of Ford Motor Company as you've known and loved it since 1903! I'll never buy a Ford again as long as they are aligned with that snobbish, arrogant VW! And I'm being nice! Eh, doesn't matter anyway. I just read with all the tech packed into these new cars including cameras and detectors, if you even get a fender bender, it might cost you $34,000!!!!!!! That's not a typo.....34 thousand! What's your insurance premium going to be!? Used cars for me no later than 2012-ish!

And this my friends will be the END of Ford Motor Company as you've known and loved it since 1903! I'll never buy a Ford again as long as they are aligned with that snobbish, arrogant VW! And I'm being nice! Eh, doesn't matter anyway. I just read with all the tech packed into these new cars including cameras and detectors, if you even get a fender bender, it might cost you $34,000!!!!!!! That's not a typo.....34 thousand! What's your insurance premium going to be!? Used cars for me no later than 2012-ish!

Whom would be acceptable as a partner?

You can get a used Crown Victoria real cheap....

I just read with all the tech packed into these new cars including cameras and detectors, if you even get a fender bender, it might cost you $34,000!!!!!!! That's not a typo.....34 thousand! What's your insurance premium going to be!? Used cars for me no later than 2012-ish!

Yeah, because premiums have gone through the roof so much with the tech and cameras and detectors on the '15+ F150 and the even more expensive '17+ Super Duty. My premium skyrocketed when I went from an '08 Super Duty to a '17 with tons more goodies. Oh wait, no it didn't, that was my smiles per mile factor (and my payment).

Every Ford and Lincoln has a transmission designed with/by GM. That's what cooperation means.

"By" is a stretch. The main physical device was designed in cooperation with. But each can make modifications. This is what Ford did to the FWD new trans. Changed from the original design 9 speed to an 8 speed.

The transmission computers and logic behind them are fully either GM or Ford. They don't share anything there.

To my knowledge, even the physical manufacturing plants aren't shared. But cooperation, yes.

Edited by 92merc

Then double that, There is no car you can insure for $600 a year in Michigan. They really need to fix insurance here...

2 cars (2008 Focus, 2018 Fusion) full coverage for both is almost $4k for me. And I have the bare minimum coverages I can just to lower the price of the premium.

Yet Lansing doesn't think there's a problem ?

2 cars (2008 Focus, 2018 Fusion) full coverage for both is almost $4k for me. And I have the bare minimum coverages I can just to lower the price of the premium.

Yet Lansing doesn't think there's a problem ?

How old are you and whats your driving record like? That just insane. Most Ive ever paid out of pocket was $2600 a year because I had a major accident with my Mustang the year before-it was actually cheaper then the SVT Focus I had before it, before the accident.

I pay about 2200 a year for my SHO and my wifes 2017 Escape

How old are you and whats your driving record like? That just insane. Most Ive ever paid out of pocket was $2600 a year because I had a major accident with my Mustang the year before-it was actually cheaper then the SVT Focus I had before it, before the accident.

I pay about 2200 a year for my SHO and my wifes 2017 Escape

wife and I are both 29 with spotless driving records. I've shopped around too, I am paying the cheapest I can find.

Yet Lansing doesn't think there's a problem

Same, $3800 for 2 cars. I end up shopping around ever 2-3 years to at least get it lowered a bit. A group of guys (9 of them) at a subcontractor we use all rent an apartment in Toledo and all use that as their address for insurance for their cars for them and their family's say it saves each of them about 3,000 a year per family.

Let see the Trail Lawyers, Doctors, Insurance Companies, and State all make big money on the insurance system. It most likely is never going to change unless its done at the ballot box to go back to the old system. Even then those groups would spend so much to keep it the way it was as it lines their pockets. The only hope is something in Lame Duck this year -- a bunch of them are term limited out and with the Governor going back to the Democrats something might actually happen.