Lincoln MKT to linger on with no set end date

Well, eventually it and Flex will have to die - I'm guessing maybe they'll live on until Edge/Nautilus are replaced and the factory switched over?

I love the Flex, but it's sad getting in a "new" one and seeing all the same everything - switchgear etc (aside from the center stack) as my 2009......and cheapened out at that (black plastic replaced silver plastic, black air vents on tan interior models, etc.

Edited by rmc523

I love the Flex, but it's sad getting in a "new" one and seeing all the same everything - switchgear etc (aside from the center stack) as my 2009......and cheapened out at that (black plastic replaced silver plastic, black air vents on tan interior models, etc.

Agreed. On the flip side, our 2009's still compare rather favorably to a new one that stickers for $40k. :)

It is annoying that one of the ugliest vehicle ever created gets the longest life.

But I think this may have something to do with UNIFOR agreements in Canada.

MKT may not be pretty, but it is FAR from the ugliest vehicle ever created.

Agreed - it and Flex are likely sticking around for the time being to keep the plant running.

That's another thing I've never understood - Ford is out there looking for plant capacity, and then they have Oakville making just Edge/MKX/Nautilus and Flex/MKT.

MKT may not be pretty, but it is FAR from the ugliest vehicle ever created.

Agreed - it and Flex are likely sticking around for the time being to keep the plant running.

That's another thing I've never understood - Ford is out there looking for plant capacity, and then they have Oakville making just Edge/MKX/Nautilus and Flex/MKT.

Same reason Ford doesn't add output in Germany - high cost.

It is annoying that one of the ugliest vehicle ever created gets the longest life.

But I also think this may have something to do with UNIFOR agreements in Canada. MKT sales and profits are absolutely minuscule, this is not a business that matters at all.

It's probably cheaper for Ford to keep Oakville workers busy than pay them to sit at home and drink Labatt Blue and watch the Leafs miss the playoffs.

And I'm guessing it is actually Flex that is paying the bills on the assembly line because Ford is still selling that thing to actual breathing retail customers. MKT just hangs around because Flex is still going and they probably have very similar supplier contracts.

• Like 1

Put a Continental grille on it, drop the MKT and go full "Town Car" on it....and while you are at it, restyle the rear hatch...

I did a chop of this a while back but can't seem to find it. It was on photobucket that no longer works.

MKT%20-%20Conti%20Front%20Chop_zpscbhgvj

Edited by rmc523

Put a Continental grille on it, drop the MKT and go full "Town Car" on it....and while you are at it, restyle the rear hatch...

A restyle of the rear hatch is a must. I think that is actually the worst element of the vehicle. The new grill doesnt look too bad on it.

As far as I can tell, Taurus + MKT + Flex never really outsold CV + MGM + Town Car. Makes you wonder why Ford bothered.

Had far higher ATP's than the CV, MGM, TC ever had. Was built in the same assembly plant as the Edge/MKX, didn't need to update the structure on the CV, MGM, TC to meet coming side impact safety changes, allowed them to close an assembly plant saving hundreds of millions and better utilize another; allowed a large improvement in CAFE numbers, the new retail customers died, gave already miserable people something more to complain about. I'm sure there is a few more too.

• Like 2

As far as I can tell, Taurus + MKT + Flex never really outsold CV + MGM + Town Car. Makes you wonder why Ford bothered.

Yup, let's ignore EVERY other benefit of them aside from sales.

You know...shared platforms, shared powertrains, shared switchgear/components, VASTLY higher ATPs, let alone a FACTORY to build them in

• Like 1