Ughhh...You live with somebody for 35 years...

and you think you know them.

As much hell as I raised about Ford ceasing car production (and I still feel that way), the wife pops in and says "I've been looking at Escapes to replace the Fusion. I'd much rather have a car, but I don't want to buy the same thing that I already have. Next on my list would be a Honda Accord"

When will the NG Escape come out? She's found a white gold 2018 Titanium that she really likes. It even has the 2.0L (my requirement), so I can't shoot it down based on power plant. I must steer her to the Escape since I won't buy Asian willingly.

Edited by 351cid

This time next year the 2020 Escape will be out. What about the 2019 Edge which should be in dealerships in the next 2-3weeks?

However the 2018 Accord is one hell of a great car, if she (and maybe even you) drive it, it will probably be a done deal. Especially if you drive the 2.0L turbo one.

• Like 1

Accord is a MUCH better vehicle than Fusion, but that's not new. It's also more expensive.

Edge is always my choice as a midsizer replacement since it's spacious, comfortable, solid, quiet, and fun. It's the only Ford SUV engineered in this decade and it's way more refined than their other utilities with better technology and safety amenities. The Escape is fun but it's still an overpriced Focus from my perspective, it's twitchy and cheap (I've had 4 of them now for the significant other).

It's just a bad time to be in the market for a Ford, everything is on the brink of changing.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

and you think you know them.

As much hell as I raised about Ford ceasing car production (and I still feel that way), the wife pops in and says "I've been looking at Escapes to replace the Fusion. I'd much rather have a car, but I don't want to buy the same thing that I already have. Next on my list would be a Honda Accord"

When will the NG Escape come out? She's found a white gold 2018 Titanium that she really likes. It even has the 2.0L (my requirement), so I can't shoot it down based on power plant. I must steer her to the Escape since I won't buy Asian willingly.

I got my mom into a loaded up White Gold 2018 Escape last winter. It's a gorgeous color.

Accord is a MUCH better vehicle than Fusion, but that's not new. It's also more expensive.

Yes sir! The higher initial price of the Accord is compensated by lower operating costs. Accord does especially well with the biggest operating cost, depreciation. 5 year projected resale value from Intellichoice for Accord is about 50%. It ties Subaru Legacy for the highest resale value in its class. Fusion resale value is less than 40%.

Yes sir! The higher initial price of the Accord is compensated by lower operating costs. Accord does especially well with the biggest operating cost, depreciation. 5 year projected resale value from Intellichoice for Accord is about 50%. It ties Subaru Legacy for the highest resale value in its class. Fusion resale value is less than 40%.

Accord has been and always will be the smartest choice if you want a Midsizer.

• Like 1

Edge is always my choice as a midsizer replacement since it's spacious, comfortable, solid, quiet, and fun. It's the only Ford SUV engineered in this decade and it's way more refined than their other utilities with better technology and safety amenities. The Escape is fun but it's still an overpriced Focus from my perspective, it's twitchy and cheap (I've had 4 of them now for the significant other).

It's just a bad time to be in the market for a Ford, everything is on the brink of changing.

Accord is also classified as a "large sedan" while Fusion is classified as "midsize" ...a true comparison with Accord would be Taurus.

Accord is also classified as a "large sedan" while Fusion is classified as "midsize" ...a true comparison with Accord would be Taurus.

In that case, Accord is so far ahead that there's really no comparison at all.

You are correct sir about the "large" vs "midsize" classifications. Accord and Taurus meet the "large sedan" threshold of 120 cubic feet for passenger + trunk space while Fusion falls short by 1 cubic foot. Taurus has a huge trunk, but less cabin space than either Fusion or Accord.

• Taurus, 102 cubic feet cabin, 20 cubic feet trunk, 122 cubic feet total
  • Accord, 106 cubic feet cabin, 17 cubic feet trunk, 123 cubic feet total
  • Fusion, 103 cubic feet cabin, 16 cubic feet trunk, 119 cubic feet total

In that case, Accord is so far ahead that there's really no comparison at all.

You are correct sir about the "large" vs "midsize" classifications. Accord and Taurus meet the "large sedan" threshold of 120 cubic feet for passenger + trunk space while Fusion falls short by 1 cubic foot. Taurus has a huge trunk, but less cabin space than either Fusion or Accord.

• Taurus, 102 cubic feet cabin, 20 cubic feet trunk, 122 cubic feet total
  • Accord, 106 cubic feet cabin, 17 cubic feet trunk, 123 cubic feet total
  • Fusion, 103 cubic feet cabin, 16 cubic feet trunk, 119 cubic feet total

It is so easy at times.

1l2kw8.jpg

• Like 1

I have a Fusion, and would buy the new 2019 over an Accord without a second thought. It is roomy enough for two tall adults in the back, and I have done it many times without any complaints. I love the driving dynamics and it still looks so good when waxed and shined.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the Accord is the only mainstream car thats looks are improved by adding a front license plate. The overall shape is awkward, and doesn't look sporty or aspirational.

I'd talk her into looking at a 4 cylinder Mustang or if she insists on a sedan, the Mazda6.

• Like 1

I have a Fusion, and would buy the new 2019 over an Accord without a second thought. It is roomy enough for two tall adults in the back, and I have done it many times without any complaints. I love the driving dynamics and it still looks so good when waxed and shined.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the Accord is the only mainstream car thats looks are improved by adding a front license plate. The overall shape is awkward, and doesn't look sporty or aspirational.

I'd talk her into looking at a 4 cylinder Mustang or if she insists on a sedan, the Mazda6.

I'm with you!

My brother has a Fusion and brother-in-law has a top of the line Accord - I have driven both - don't see the appeal of the Accord. The Accord is so loaded with stuff not related to the simple act of actually driving a car, that it is distracting! The CVT is blah- ok. The looks are body-crease-a-paloozza and just too many sharp angles- to the point of gaudy - gag. The Fusion is solid, tight, comfortable and much more fun to drive. Looks much nicer as well - just a clean modern design. The fact it is less expensive is only a bonus! I presume that more=better to the fans of Accord and the Asian by default is better perception is alive and well. I personally would take the Fusion all day long!

I was thinking the same thing for this wife dilemma - have her test drive an Ecoboost Mustang in a color she really likes...Good luck!

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

I'm with you!

My brother has a Fusion and Brother-in-law has a top of the line Accord - I have driven both - don't see the appeal of the Accord. The Accord is so loaded with stuff not related to the simple act of actually driving a car, that it is distracting! The CVT is blah- ok. The looks are body-crease-a-paloozza and just too many sharp angles- to the point of gaudy - gag. The Fusion is solid, tight, comfortable and much more fun to drive. Looks much nicer as well - just a clean modern design. The fact it is less expensive is only a bonus! I presume that more=better to the fans of Accord and the Asian by default is better perception is alive and well. I personally would take the Fusion all day long!

I'll 3rd that. Been in an Accord many times via a co-worker who was a Hondaphile and friends who own them. Never got the appeal of it. Seemed very MEH in all aspects. He had the 4 and it also was a little loud and the CVT was average at best. It was about the same vintage as my Taurus and the Taurus was better in every way except apparent cabin room.

Hondas are mediocre vehicles that are VASTLY overrated.

Edited by itguy09
  • Like 2

We I have a 2013 Mustang GT. We have a 4 grand daughters and the 10 year old (5'3") is not too comfortable back there. The other three are offspring of our 6'4" son and our 5'11" daughter in-law. Chances are these 3 will be tall as well. All I hear from the wife is "I need a 4 door sedan that my grand babies can fit into". We use the son's Explorer when we have their 3.

As for the CVT trans in the Honda...that's a deal killer. When we were looking at inventory online and saw the majority of Accords are CVT, she asked what that meant. I told her it was like the tranny in my brother in-law's hybrid. Her response: "Nope".

We may just hold onto the Fusion for a while. It only has 95K miles and I am religious with maintainence. Should be solid for another few years until Ford gets their head out of their ass... or we do.

• Like 1

As for the CVT trans in the Honda...that's a deal killer. When we were looking at inventory online and saw the majority of Accords are CVT, she asked what that meant. I told her it was like the tranny in my brother in-law's hybrid. Her response: "Nope".

Get the Turbo and you get the 10 speed auto, plus a lot more fun.

Actually get the 6 speed manual, that is the most fun.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

I got my mother a 18 fusion lastvyear with the 2.0 awd in white platinum.. the car IMO is stunning and still love looking at it in her driveway. Far nicer then an Accord or Camry (looks wise). She is very happy with it coming from an older Maxima.

Although some people like this, some people like that better. But my sister just bought an Accord Sport for my father. I think it is stunning, sleek outside as well as interior. It also has an aggressive, somewhat masculine front.