Power in 7 Pin Trailer Connector

DCP

Not sure what year navigator you are talking about but there is a fuse and relay that went in the underhood fuse panel for that. It used to come in glove box in plastic bag.

It's a 2018. Nothing provided and the list of fuses wasn't helpful. Thanks for the comment.

Check #30 fuse in the under hood fuse box its a 25 amp. Its lists as the trailer tow charge fuse which would be power to the 7 pin connector. I dont have access to shop

Manual at the moment but thats out of the owners manual.

Thanks. I checked that because adding a fuse was what I had to do in my last Suburban. In the Navigator there was a fuse there already, but no power in the 7 pin harness so there must be something more you have to do.

The best wiring diagram I can find is from 2017, but I think it is the same.

attachicon.gifcapture.jpg

The power wire is orange. The battery tow module MAY have smarts in it to not power up that pin until it "senses" that a trailer is attached (tail light bulb resistance ?)

Thanks, but it isn't that smart. On my trailer, that circuit powers loading lights. When I plug in the trailer, the tail lights and signals all work, but the loading lights circuit is dead. I plugged the trailer into my Suburban and the loading lights worked, so there is something needed in the truck to energize the circuit.

Out if the WSM.

TRM provides voltage to trailer battery charge pin after the following is met

TRM detects trailer is connected

ignition is on and engine running

a brake application has been detected in the present ignition cycle

a BCM load shed strategy is not active.. ( a message will be displayed in cluster. IE Low battery, battery save

TRM directly supplies power for trailer battery charging no relay.

• Like 1

Out if the WSM.

TRM provides voltage to trailer battery charge pin after the following is met

TRM detects trailer is connected

ignition is on and engine running

a brake application has been detected in the present ignition cycle

a BCM load shed strategy is not active.. ( a message will be displayed in cluster. IE Low battery, battery save

TRM directly supplies power for trailer battery charging no relay.

Wow. Thank you. I needed to apply the brakes after connecting the trailer to make it work. I never would have guessed that.

• 2 years later...

Wow great information on this pin 4 power. I am installing a Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller w/ Bluetooth - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional controller… It requires the 12V on pin 4 to function.. So it looks like I get the power once all hooked up and the brakes are applied, which is easily done as you have to hit the brake to both start the car and to shift the transmission… So I should be good to go.. Thanks for the information supplied almost 2 years ago… Google is our friend!!