Extended warranty

GordonZoo

We ordered our 2019 Reserve last week. It will prob come in near the end of the year. We previously had a 1997 Expedition, 2007 Nav and now a 2019 Nav. We did have running board retraction issues on the 2007 but that probably was the extent of our problems. Do any of you know if there was a factory extended warranty offered when you bought and what you ended paying for it and how many miles/Years it extended? I'm sort of worried the massage chair might fail :) Seriously though, there are a lot of new items that may break down and it may be worth the warranty this time.

BTW, we drove all the luxury models from many dealers and none came close to the Nav. It was a little tough to get a dealer to do an X-Plan on the Nav as they seem to be popular. Funny thing is, I have yet to see one on the road.

Rich

Edited by GordonZoo

Ford ESP ... you configure it as you like (Miles/Time) and categories of coverage (I get it configured to essentially fully extend the factory bumper to bumper coverage to 6 years / 60000 miles). Some dealers will discount it (check on the internet... there are a few Ford dealers that will discount them .... I use prices quoted there to get an idea what I expect and usually get the dealer I'm purchasing from to match it). I've had a dealer (2015 F-150) better my best internet quote and current one (2018 Navigator Black Label) add to my trade in an amount to get to price. It will seem pricy ... 'til you check the price of some of the hi-tech assemblies ... of which there are m a n y in todays top end models.

We got the extended warranty from Lincoln and a maintenance plan as well on our 2018, we did the math on how many miles we drive and how long we thought wed own the vehicle. The sweet spot was a 8 year time frame and 100,000 miles . We got the top tier warranty and it was $3k. We are hoping to drive this one for as long as we can but shooting for 8-10 years.

You joke about the cost of the seas but all the tech in the car made the decision for the warranty an easy one. If youre in doubt go to the Ford parts website and look around, there are some pricy items in there.

Edited by boredinbirmingham

• 3 weeks later...

We ordered our 2019 Reserve last week. It will prob come in near the end of the year. We previously had a 1997 Expedition, 2007 Nav and now a 2019 Nav. We did have running board retraction issues on the 2007 but that probably was the extent of our problems. Do any of you know if there was a factory extended warranty offered when you bought and what you ended paying for it and how many miles/Years it extended? I'm sort of worried the massage chair might fail :) Seriously though, there are a lot of new items that may break down and it may be worth the warranty this time.

BTW, we drove all the luxury models from many dealers and none came close to the Nav. It was a little tough to get a dealer to do an X-Plan on the Nav as they seem to be popular. Funny thing is, I have yet to see one on the road.

Rich

https://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64235-ford-us-esp-at-cost-ford-canada-esp-200-over-cost/

Yep, on the limited extended numbers.

The 8/100 runs $1805 and the 8/150 is almost double that.

I expect to put 10-K miles a year so a higher mileage for us would be wasted $

BTW, I thought those prices were not to bad considering the bells and whistles on a Navi.

Thx...

Yep, on the limited extended numbers.

The 8/100 runs $1805 and the 8/150 is almost double that.

I expect to put 10-K miles a year so a higher mileage for us would be wasted $

BTW, I thought those prices were not to bad considering the bells and whistles on a Navi.

Thx...

Just remember - on average Ford makes money or they wouldn't be selling them. It's like Vegas - you might win on one or two vehicles but over the long run the house always wins.

Here is a question if you don't mind. Let's say I could guarantee with 80% probability that your next 3 vehicles will incur no more than $4K in out of pocket repairs. Would you still pay $1800 per vehicle for the extended warranty?

That's a good question. at $1800 initial I could make $1000 in interest at my current 6% rate of return over 8 yrs. That's turns my $1800 cost into $2800. Which is probably a break even in repair costs if it happens post my 4/50.

May I ask if you did an extended?

Thx...

That's a good question. at $1800 initial I could make $1000 in interest at my current 6% rate of return over 8 yrs. That's turns my $1800 cost into $2800. Which is probably a break even in repair costs if it happens post my 4/50.

May I ask if you did an extended?

Thx...

I never do extended warranties - I self-insure for things under $5K or so. I've only had a few minor repairs out of warranty over my last several vehicles so I figure I'm at least $10K ahead by not buying extended warranties - probably more. So if I had to pay for a $4K repair tomorrow I'm ok with that because I'm still at least $6K ahead.

But others don't think that way which is fascinating to me and why I asked the question. Some will buy them for "peace of mind" even when they know the odds are that they'll never get that money back in the long run. That's what I don't understand. I hate the idea of paying that much money for something I may never use. With home and car insurance that's different since I can't afford to pay for those out of pocket. But I can pay for any auto repair. I get a lot more "peace of mind" knowing that I'm not wasting money.

The exception is someone on fixed income who truly can't afford to pay for a big repair. In that case get the warranty and finance it with the vehicle.

I also understand taking a gamble on a specific vehicle that you feel has a higher than average chance of a large repair. But I don't like gambling.

A question I do have is whether the prices of an extended warranty is fixed across the fleet of vehicles or different depending on the cost of or type of vehicle. I'm wondering if the $1800 is fixed for everything from a MKC up to a Navigator. I'm sure there is more to go wrong with the Navi. BTW, how are you liking the 3.5?

A question I do have is whether the prices of an extended warranty is fixed across the fleet of vehicles or different depending on the cost of or type of vehicle. I'm wondering if the $1800 is fixed for everything from a MKC up to a Navigator. I'm sure there is more to go wrong with the Navi. BTW, how are you liking the 3.5?

I'm pretty sure the pricing is at least model specific if not individual vehicle specific. I'd be surprised if the mkc and navi costs were the same.

The 3.5LEB in my F150 is fantastic with the 10 speed auto. I can cruise at 1200-1300 RPM all day long and I'm getting 20-22 mpg.

The 3.5LEB in my F150 is fantastic with the 10 speed auto. I can cruise at 1200-1300 RPM all day long and I'm getting 20-22 mpg.

Thx. I'm stoked on getting this 3.5 platform. I bought a 3.0 Ram Eco Diesel back in 2016 and bought an extended warranty on it knowing of the spun Bearing failures they were having. So far it's been the best truck I've ever had. I get 30mpg City/HY combined. I did get it tuned though. My last 2004-1/2 F-150 totally rusted in 10 yrs time and it had very low miles. I'm now leaning towards undercoating the Navi and opting out on the extended. New England salt is the worst.

Undercoating on a Navigator is mostly wasted money. The body is aluminum and Ford's frame coating is light years ahead of what it was 10 years ago.

What I would do though is take the suspension apart and anti-seize the shit out of any bolt for any suspension part that might need to be replaced in the future, especially front control arms.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Hi Gordon. As akirby noted, the pricing varies by vehicle and can even vary according to trim level. In addition, variables such as engine, FWD or AWD etc all affect the Ford/Lincoln ESP Warranty pricing. There are a lot of plan levels and options, so be sure of what you are being told, sold and purchasing.

Among the variables, pricing will vary according to which Plan coverage level you choose (Powertrain Care, BaseCare, ExtraCare, PremiumCare). Then there are coverage years/mileage/deductible options. And then there are plan options in the top of the line PremiumCare level, such as coverage for interior/exterior LED lighting (yes, it is optional), keyfob loss/replacement coverage (also optional), rental car coverage etc. So the final pricing is based off your VIN and plan coverage choices.

And just as in purchasing a car, pricing is not "fixed". Your individual local Lincoln/Ford Dealers can markup and charge whatever the market will bear and/or an uninformed customer will pay (again, just like buying a car). So negotiate (although the online discount sellers are pretty well already at rock bottom).

And yes, the Lincoln Protect website you linked to further above is the Lincoln/Ford factory extended service plan. It used to be called "Lincoln ESP" (or "Ford ESP"), but the plans were recently renamed "Lincoln Protect" and "Ford Protect".

In my experience, I have found the best pricing at these online sellers:

http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/

You can find other online sellers if you Google "Ford ESP". I received the lowest price and purchased from Harold Zeigler for my last two Lincolns. Plan prices from those online sellers on my 2018 MKZ were all ~$1,000 less than the initial offer from the Lincoln Dealer where I purchased and my other local Lincoln/ Ford dealerships. And still over $300 less than the best local price even after negotiating with those same local Dealerships. For the sake of reference, that savings was for a Lincoln Protect, Premium Care, $0 deductible, 8 year/75,000 mile plan with LED lighting coverage, key replacement/loss coverage and no first day rental car coverage.

Hope this information helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for all of the feedback. You guys are a great source of info.

The second warranty link is close to what I was quoted, although I was not given detail on the deductible. It could make it higher or lower depending. The only problem I had with my last Navi (2007) was the retractable side steps sticking and aluminum tailgate rust. The warranty doesn't show that being covered. I did have creeping rust on the aluminum tailgate that looked like termite trails under the paint. I had to get it sanded and re-painted. I'm also thinking an undercoat would keep the brake lines from rusting.

My bad. I just read my dealer's pdf and it's a $100 deductible with all the loaner rentals and lamp replacement add-ons.

Looks like he is competitive.

Edited by GordonZoo

Thanks for all of the feedback. You guys are a great source of info.

The second warranty link is close to what I was quoted, although I was not given detail on the deductible. It could make it higher or lower depending. The only problem I had with my last Navi (2007) was the retractable side steps sticking and aluminum tailgate rust. The warranty doesn't show that being covered. I did have creeping rust on the aluminum tailgate that looked like termite trails under the paint. I had to get it sanded and re-painted. I'm also thinking an undercoat would keep the brake lines from rusting.

Hi Gordon. Yes, be sure to get all information on what you are being offered. Plan level (PremiumCare etc), deductible, years/mileage limits and optional coverage (LED lighting, Keyfobs, rental car etc).

A Lincoln Protect PremiumCare would cover the sidesteps issue. Rust would only be covered for the limits of the initial new car Lincoln/Ford, corrosion/perforation warranty, which is 5 years/Unlimited mileage.

Keep us updated and good luck.