Some tutorials on the new software have been pinned here.

Sign in to follow this  
Bob Rosadini

MasterCylinder/Booster failure 2017 F-150

Question

My son has subject truck 3.5 EB Crew Cab. Bought it used with 50,000 miles. He had a brake fail light and had very spongy brakes. Fortunately no safety incident. Took it to local garage and bottom line he is 700 bucks lighter! "Replaced Master cylinder and booster"

any opinions? Unusual failure? Proper repair? There was no visible evidence of fluid leakage.

Appreciate any comments.

Truck by the way very clean-typical late model with a lot of road miles. Unfortunately he never asked me for my two cents as I would have insisted he pay the price for a CPO. " you can lead a horse to water, but you can't...... etc"

4 answers to this question

I would say unusual. We had a run of master cylinders several years ago on f150. But they were pretty few and far between. I have seen old vehicles when a brake job is done and the piston is pushed back in the caliper without opening the bleeder cause master cylinder issues. Wonder if the brakes had recently been replaced? Either way I suspect a pretty uncommon failure. I buy ford esp for this reason. I can fix my own vehicle but for the $1500 I spent on a 7/100 premium care. One a/c repair can pay for itself. Parts are expensive.

I would say unusual. We had a run of master cylinders several years ago on f150. But they were pretty few and far between. I have seen old vehicles when a brake job is done and the piston is pushed back in the caliper without opening the bleeder cause master cylinder issues. Wonder if the brakes had recently been replaced? Either way I suspect a pretty uncommon failure. I buy ford esp for this reason. I can fix my own vehicle but for the $1500 I spent on a 7/100 premium care. One a/c repair can pay for itself. Parts are expensive.

As always thx for your prompt reply.

That is odd ball indeed....I would have (and would still recommend) contacting Ford to see if there is anything on this...maybe get a reimbursement of at least some of the repairs....2017 with 50K miles on it?? whew, that is a lot of miles for that new of a truck...must've been one heck of a deal though....

Anyhoo....good luck and that sucks that he had to shell out $700 bucks for repairs already....

Doesn't seem like its out of the ballpark money wise. We see the rear seal of the master leaking into the booster fairly often. Once brake fluid is in the booster, it's done and must be replaced.