Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MasterCylinder/Booster failure 2017 F-150

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:37 PM

My son has subject truck 3.5 EB Crew Cab.  Bought it used with 50,000 miles.  He had a brake fail light and had very spongy brakes.  Fortunately no safety incident.  Took it to local garage and bottom line he is 700 bucks lighter!  "Replaced Master cylinder and booster"

any opinions?  Unusual failure?  Proper repair?  There was no visible evidence of fluid leakage.

Appreciate any comments.

Truck by the way very clean-typical late model with a lot of road miles.  Unfortunately he never asked me for my two cents as I would have insisted he pay the price for a CPO.  " you can lead a horse to water, but you can't...... etc"

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SEL, 2007 Volvo C70, 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2005 Ford Focus

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:04 PM

I would say unusual. We had a run of master cylinders several years ago on f150. But they were pretty few and far between. I have seen old vehicles when a brake job is done and the piston is pushed back in the caliper without opening the bleeder cause master cylinder issues. Wonder if the brakes had recently been replaced? Either way I suspect a pretty uncommon failure. I buy ford esp for this reason. I can fix my own vehicle but for the $1500 I spent on a 7/100 premium care. One a/c repair can pay for itself. Parts are expensive.

#3 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:48 PM

I would say unusual. We had a run of master cylinders several years ago on f150. But they were pretty few and far between. I have seen old vehicles when a brake job is done and the piston is pushed back in the caliper without opening the bleeder cause master cylinder issues. Wonder if the brakes had recently been replaced? Either way I suspect a pretty uncommon failure. I buy ford esp for this reason. I can fix my own vehicle but for the $1500 I spent on a 7/100 premium care. One a/c repair can pay for itself. Parts are expensive.

As always thx for your prompt reply.

#4 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:39 AM

That is odd ball indeed....I would have (and would still recommend) contacting Ford to see if there is anything on this...maybe get a reimbursement of at least some of the repairs....2017 with 50K miles on it?? whew, that is a lot of miles for that new of a truck...must've been one heck of a deal though....

Anyhoo....good luck and that sucks that he had to shell out $700 bucks for repairs already....

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service | DMCA ·