Sorry to start another thread but I'm desperate to get this fixed fast as it's really costing me not having this vehicle on the road now.

Got a '11 Crown Vic that's been overheating because the rad fan hasn't been kicking on when it should. I replaced the fan and fan controller with a new unit and it's still not working right. Sometimes the fan kicks on when I turn the a/c on, and other times it doesn't. Sometimes it turns on when the engine gets hot and sometimes it doesn't.

Water pump is known to be good, flushed system both ways and the thermostat is new.

Any ideas?

Do you have a way to check for codes in the pcm? See if there any cooling fan control codes. Check the connector at the fan for spread open pins especially the little wire. Load test the wires at fan connector. You can take a tail lamp bulb bend the tabs and stick it in the connector and load test it that way. Fuse 102 its a 50amp in the battery junction box is the feed. Make sure the fuse is good and not melted and the filament of the fuse isnt cracked.

I know this may sound simplistic, but did you check the temperature sending unit? It's gotta get the temperature reading from something.....

The pcm tells the fan to turn on from the cylinder head temp sensor. A scan tool would be the most useful thing to diagnose this concern. Otherwise you are just checking fan and circuits.

• Like 1