New Ford Edge, Edge ST Use Artificial Intelligence to Help Improve Traction, Reduce Fuel Usage

Thanks for posting the article. I ordered my 2019 Edge Titanium back in July with the tow package and the mandatory AWD due to the tow hitch. Being in Florida I rarely need all wheel drive, but there has been several times with my FWD Escape I wish I had it trying to tow a 2000 lb double jet ski trailer up a dirt boat ramp or even a concrete ramp when the tide is out and its slimey or covered with seaweed.

• 1 month later...

Gthims,

There are other reasons to get that AWD beyond wanting better traction in snow, ice or slick surfaces. And that is, with the 2.7 twin turbo engine you really want it for improved performance and handling. If you look at Lincoln MKX/Nautilus reviews you'll see that reviewers generally say FWD is fine with the base engine but for the higher HP (and much higher torque) of the 2.7 you really want AWD. That engine has so much power that without AWD initial acceleration is noticeably weaker (as physics push more weight onto the non-drive rear wheels and off of the front wheels) plus you experience much more understeer problems on turns. The new intelligent AWD system gives you that extra rear wheel push when you need it irrespective of sensing actual wheel slippage, but then when highway cruising reverts to FWD for greater fuel efficiency when you don't need it. But even on the highway, punch the accelerator and it's back.

Edited by Gurgeh