Toyota August 2018 sales --- down.

twintornados

The thing I dont understand about Yota is many of their vehicles make Fords seem new in comparison - many Toyotas are ancient.

Toyota's ancient vehicle models in the U.S. are all on the truck and SUV side. Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Tundra, 4Runner, Lexus GX, and Lexus LX have all gone 9 years or more without a significant redesign. But those models account for only 12% of Toyota USA sales. And they're all pretty expensive. So Toyota may be choosing profitability over volume with these ancient trucks and SUVs. Good for them. I still think Toyota is being lazy having such old vehicles in its U.S. lineup.

Edited by rperez817

I see Highlander is overtaking Explorer sales for the first time.

RAV4 sales are just staggering.

Toyota car sales aren't collapsing quite as sharply as the rest, but collapsing they are.

Tacoma is booming.

Big question - why is Tacoma above 23K sales while Colorado sits around 12K sales...

and where will the Ecoboost Ranger sit in all this.......

Explorer will have to keep slugging away until the new model arrives, so too Escape.

Maybe Edge lifts with refresh and 8-speed auto, could be the respite Ford needs.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Highlander seems more like a less functonal minivan to me. I see it more as a stretched Edge with a child sized third row.

I think Explorer's image was closer to the 4-Runner back in the 90's. Bronco seems lined up to take that spot now, so Explorer going to a new platform should be able to retain old customers, and add those looking for something more rugged, but larger than Bronco/4-runner.

• Like 1

Highlander and Explorer both fit the current mold for 3-row crossovers, I'm sure Highlander is largely benchmarked against the current Explorer.

Explorer is going in a very different direction next year however, I'm actually wondering if Explorer will actually sell better or just sell more expensively. I have some doubts about 2020 Explorer's mass-marketability, it either brilliantly innovative and a true standout, or it's just going to be its own niche.

Edited by Assimilator

..., it either brilliantly innovative and a true standout, or it's just going to be its own niche.

In my mind, I see it becoming a down-sized Expedition more than anything. RWD, independent suspension, 3 row. And like the Expi, it'll have trims that will move up-market.

I see Highlander is overtaking Explorer sales for the first time.

RAV4 sales are just staggering.

Tacoma is booming.

I am amazed at how they can deliver to the changing market at a moment's notice. Demand shifts from Camry and Corolla to Highlander and RAV4 - Toyota is right there with the units to deliver. All I ever hear from Ford is - it takes 5 years to adjust to the shift in market demand, and when they do have a product that people actually want, it is "capacity constrained". Excuses for Fords all day long but dang -Toyota is good at this.

I am amazed at how they can deliver to the changing market at a moment's notice. Demand shifts from Camry and Corolla to Highlander and RAV4 - Toyota is right there with the units to deliver. All I ever hear from Ford is - it takes 5 years to adjust to the shift in market demand, and when they do have a product that people actually want, it is "capacity constrained". Excuses for Fords all day long but dang -Toyota is good at this.

Ford has shot themselves in the foot for years - by trimming down so much, running factories at max capacity, and being so hesitant to open any new factories, they can't take advantage of growing markets

• Like 3

Tacoma is also the only vehicle to have an uninterrupted run, it's a little like the Mustang and Wrangler at this point. It's hard to build momentum with long interuptions and lack of commitment. Tacoma has also developed an ownership culture somewhat similar to Wrangler, so its appeal is growing regardless of investment. It took a long time for its niche to become an institution, but the lack of experienced competition certainly made it possible. Tacoma is a brand that will always be much stronger in the US than Ranger at this point, but Ranger is stronger than anything GM has today.

Ranger should sell well, probably 3rd behind Toyota and GM overall, but it's also more expensive and better equipped. Ranger also has to contend with F-150 sitting right next to it which Tacoma certainly doesn't. Ranger also appears to be targeting a richer mix of customers and higher commercial sales than its competition. Seems counter-intuitive to ask for more money at retail while selling stripper Rangers for non-retail, but most of Ford's business is taking this approach now and there doesn't appear to be any consequences to the brand's equity.

Edited by Assimilator

Ranger also appears to be targeting a richer mix of customers and higher commercial sales than its competition. Seems counter-intuitive to ask for more money at retail while selling stripper Rangers for non-retail, but most of Ford's business is taking this approach now and there doesn't appear to be any consequences to the brand's equity.

That's kind of the way Ford has been for decades, at least when it comes to Trucks and Vans. People know the deal with them by now.