Not Ford Transit?

Kev-Mo

I would bet MB gave them an unbelieveable warranty/service package. Think of it. Amazon owns these things and turns them over to someone who will drive it-for a while until he/she decides this is too much work. Then they go to the next "entrepreneur".Think these people will be respectful of Amazon's investment? Perhaps 30% will IMO.

No clue how the new ones are but agree with prior comments-any older ones are covered with rust streaks

Good thing I stopped shopping Amazon a while ago. Plenty of other, better places to buy stuff from online.

Amazon doesn't always have the best prices. What they do have is a lot of services that make it convenient to be a Prime member. Free/fast shipping. In Chicago, I can get my stuff same or 1 day a lot of times. I do buy a lot of car care products there, as they are pretty cheap.

Amazon isn't actually the owner of these vehicles, MB will be leasing them to the individuals that then contract with Amazon for the delivery business.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/06/amazon-delivery-service-partner-program-gets-thousands-of-applications.html

CORRECT !

"Fleet-management companies will eventually buy the Mercedes vans, "

Some one else is going to get screwed !

I would bet MB gave them an unbelieveable warranty/service package.

Sprinter vans are very competitive for total lifecycle cost. They have high resale value and low maintenance requirements. 2018 Sprinter Worker Diesel Standard Roof 144" WB has the lowest operating costs among 3/4 ton cargo vans for example. https://www.vincentric.com/Home/Best-Value-Awards/2018-Best-Value-in-America/2018-Best-Fleet-Value-in-America-Winners-List/2018-Fleet-Winner-3-4-Ton-Cargo-Van

Amazon doesn't always have the best prices. What they do have is a lot of services that make it convenient to be a Prime member. Free/fast shipping. In Chicago, I can get my stuff same or 1 day a lot of times. I do buy a lot of car care products there, as they are pretty cheap.

I've been finding Walmart has just as quick shipping without the need for a $99/year membership. I have 0 use for the video stuff (we have Netflix) or the audio, etc. I also prefer not to support Amazon who is helping to destroy my neighbor's jobs (by destroying retail)

It's not clear if Amazon is buying the gasoline or diesel version. But the gas version has 2.0 I4 engine providing... adequate (?) 188hp to move a van rated for 9,000 lbs GVWR.

The other engine options are carried over 2.1 I4 diesel and a new 3.0 I6 diesel.

But the gas version has 2.0 I4 engine providing... adequate (?) 188hp to move a van rated for 9,000 lbs GVWR.

Why not? When they were still available, fleets kept gobbling up the 145 hp 4.9L straight six E-250s and then the equally pitiful 200 hp 4.2L V6 vans replaced them. Load them up full of tools then hitch up a trailer. What's not to like about 55mph with the wind at your back. Funny thing is everyone I know who used to drive those things for a living pines for that old 300 engine.

On another note, anything I order from Amazon (which is not much, btw) is delivered UPS, FedEx, or USPS. I had no idea Amazon had their own delivery system. Must be because I'm not in a major metropolitan area.

Why not? When they were still available, fleets kept gobbling up the 145 hp 4.9L straight six E-250s and then the equally pitiful 200 hp 4.2L V6 vans replaced them. Load them up full of tools then hitch up a trailer. What's not to like about 55mph with the wind at your back. Funny thing is everyone I know who used to drive those things for a living pines for that old 300 engine.

On another note, anything I order from Amazon (which is not much, btw) is delivered UPS, FedEx, or USPS. I had no idea Amazon had their own delivery system. Must be because I'm not in a major metropolitan area.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale and everything comes via those too, though I don't know if Miami has Amazon branded vehicles.

2.0 I4 It's plenty for Amazon because it is doing package delivery... the van will cube out before it weights out. In fact, that is probably why Amazon chose it over Transit... Ford doesn't offer a fuel efficient I4 in Transit in the US market.

But I was saying that in general, the power rating seems slightly optimistic given the 9,000 lbs GVWR. If you load it close to the GVWR on a regular basis, the diesel engines are probably better choice.