Sedan sales

Short term leases have been around for a long time.

Personally I think what’s happening is that the SUV craze started in the early 90s and all these kids who grew up in utilities are now buying their own vehicles so they’re naturally buying what they’re more familiar with.

I know I am in the declining minority (at least for now) but I just don't understand this seemingly love affair with CUVs. My primary experience with the things are with Edges and MKXs....although we had a Nissan CUV (don't remember exactly what model it was) for a rental on our last vacation. I despise the height and the resulting driving position. I like to sit low and have the steering wheel as low and as close to me as I can get it. I simply cannot find a comfortable driving position in the CUVs that I have driven. In addition, both feel top-heavy and clumsy to me....rather minivan like.

After buying my Mustang, I thought I would sell the Continental. However, with the lack of sedans on the horizon, I have decided to keep it. For an ultra comfortable highway cruiser, I have found nothing better. Boring as vanilla yogurt but an excellent vehicle for covering the miles.

• Like 1

Short term leases have been around for a long time.

Personally I think whats happening is that the SUV craze started in the early 90s and all these kids who grew up in utilities are now buying their own vehicles so theyre naturally buying what theyre more familiar with.

what defines a short term lease, less than 3 years?

I despise the height and the resulting driving position.

And that is precisely what my wife and others like about them. They are easier to get in and out (especially as you get older) and she loves the higher driving position. She (and most others I presume) never drives in a manner where CG or handling matters. I like the cargo capacity especially on trips.

I despise the height and the resulting driving position.

My wife is the same way. She sat in an Edge at NAIAS and immediately hated it. Same with the Explorer. She could tolerate a Flex if we had to.

I like to sit low and have the steering wheel as low and as close to me as I can get it.

Im sort of the same way but I can live with a Truck. I can at least get the seat low enough for me (I have scoliosis so its more comfortable for me to be leaned back vs. my wife who prefers sitting damn near straight up) and I like the steering wheel a little higher than you indicated.

Thats the funny thing-Ive owned nothing but Mustangs or sporty versions of Ford products. The SVT Focus and SHO had seats that sat higher then the Mustangs and I didnt mind it one bit. Both my wifes Escapes sit higher and no issues with it either. The Fusions Ive been in where closer to the Mustangs Ive had.

I did have problems with the seating postion with the 2008 Sable-I felt like I was in a high chair.

I had the same issue with my 2013 Taurus. I felt that I was sitting up higher than my 2009 Escape. My Fusion seating position is about the same as my Mustang and I like it much better than the Taurus and Escape.I guess there will be another Mustang in the future.

My wife bucks the trend toward CUVs as well. I bought my Escape about the time we started dating. This was my first 4-dr vehicle. She desperately wanted a sedan, or as she put it "four doors and a trunk". Out went the Escape and in came the Taurus. Later we ditched the Taurus and picked up the Fusion Energi for the better fuel economy (38-50 vs 19). Now she wonders what we will buy once the Fusion is due and the sedans are gone.

I know I am in the declining minority (at least for now) but I just don't understand this seemingly love affair with CUVs. My primary experience with the things are with Edges and MKXs....although we had a Nissan CUV (don't remember exactly what model it was) for a rental on our last vacation. I despise the height and the resulting driving position. I like to sit low and have the steering wheel as low and as close to me as I can get it. I simply cannot find a comfortable driving position in the CUVs that I have driven. In addition, both feel top-heavy and clumsy to me....rather minivan like.

After buying my Mustang, I thought I would sell the Continental. However, with the lack of sedans on the horizon, I have decided to keep it. For an ultra comfortable highway cruiser, I have found nothing better. Boring as vanilla yogurt but an excellent vehicle for covering the miles.

I too am a car guy. However, I see the value in having a CUV/SUV/Truck. I will admit, with just my son and I, I've filled my Fusion absolutely full. He still needs a stroller so that takes up a large part of the trunk. When I had my Escape and Edge, I never had to worry about packing lite. Really, other than that I didn't like being in CUV. They just don't handle well. I like the ride in my Fusion better. If I had the money I would have sprung for a Continental.

Title of this topic is Sedan Sales, but i assume that includes hatch sales as Focus and Fiesta had hatch options. A couple articles mentioned that Ford has already stopped national promotion for the Fusion and Focus and focusing on the Mustang which they say is the reason for the Mustang's increased sales - though I'm not buying that.

Think there is a place for Fiesta/Focus sized hatches and don't yet see how Ford is replacing that. Sedan's also would seem to have a role for those who get company cars - sales people for instance. But I can see how the market is over-saturated with sedans and thus its not a profitable segment.

Only car i'm sad to see go is the Focus - I still don't see the ecosport or escape as intro cars to the Ford brand. Guess also i'm amazed by the Fusion's demise, it was a great car and a fixture on local roads. Fusion seems like a good name, i hope they use it on a White Space vehicle.

Edited by Fordowner

They're replacing them with Ecosport, Baby Bronco and possibly another CUV below Escape.

True but the baby bronco and possible other cuv are pretty far off and little is known about their pricing or design. So we are left with the Ecosport - which due to its place of origin is a limited volume vehicle -

Honda just announced that it's culling two trim levels from the 2019 Accord line-up. This after the all-new car has been on the market for a whopping one year. It has also simply face-lifted the Acura ILX for 2019, even though the car is based on the previous-generation Honda Civic, and overdue for an all-new version. Interesting times...

• Like 2

Honda just announced that it's culling two trim levels from the 2019 Accord line-up. This after the all-new car has been on the market for a whopping one year. It has also simply face-lifted the Acura ILX for 2019, even though the car is based on the previous-generation Honda Civic, and overdue for an all-new version. Interesting times...

Not possible. You're making that up. Only Ford has problems selling sedans.

• Like 4

Honda just announced that it's culling two trim levels from the 2019 Accord line-up. This after the all-new car has been on the market for a whopping one year.

Smart move on Honda's part. 2018 Accord has lot of overlap among certain trim levels. Especially EX-L Navi and Touring. 2019 drops EX-L Navi and the 1.5T version of the Touring. Hybrid and 2.0T Touring models stay.

Honda may do something similar with its other cars and crossovers. I think they went overboard adding trim levels in recent years. 2018 Civic for example has 18 trim levels! That can make things more complicated for dealers and customers.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 2

Now we see Fiesta ST Line coming to the US but don't get excited, it's just ST appearance pack with the NA 1.6

Pity Euro Focus wasn't built in Spain as well, that would have been a nice work around for Focus Active..

As I said in the other thread, I'd be interested in the Fiesta ST Line except that it looks like its not based on the 7th Gen Fiesta sold since the 2017 model year in europe but the previous generation which is still be sold in the U.S. - the interior of the current Fiesta is somewhat antiquated and I can only assume when the 2019 Fiesta ST line comes out it will still have that interior. Which gets to the year or two gap - the Ford Website still shows 2018 models for every car except for Mustang and Fusion. Articles are saying marketing is being pulled from all the cars except for Mustang. While that may be wise - in reality we have more than a one or two year wait or gap.

Not possible. You're making that up. Only Ford has problems selling sedans.

That's because they refuse to listen to internet experts who want Ford to introduce an updated version of the 1978 LTD Landau so that they can buy a used one. That's the surefire way to booming sales and increased market share.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 3

Smart move on Honda's part. 2018 Accord has lot of overlap among certain trim levels. Especially EX-L Navi and Touring. 2019 drops EX-L Navi and the 1.5T version of the Touring. Hybrid and 2.0T Touring models stay.

Honda may do something similar with its other cars and crossovers. I think they went overboard adding trim levels in recent years. 2018 Civic for example has 18 trim levels! That can make things more complicated for dealers and customers.

Honda should remember that it's slogan was once, "We keep it simple." Part of the reason for that was fewer variations resulted in improved quality.

• Like 1

And gets away from Honda's normal these are the 5-6 trims. Honda still however has way fewer possible build configurations than Ford does, when you consider packages and freestanding options on trim lines. When the Passport shows up early next year Accord sales will fall even more. The same would happen if the HR-V offered the 1.5T as in other markets, the facelift fixed a lot of issues but the biggest is that it is very under powered. Almost every manufacture was caught off guard with how fast the SUV switch happened in the past 3 years.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

That's because they refuse to listen to internet experts who want Ford to introduce an updated version of the 1978 LTD Landau so that they can buy a used one. That's the surefire way to booming sales and increased market share.

I'd love an updated version of the 1978 LTD Landau. I'd love an updated version of the 1967 Custom 500 or the 1970 1/2 Falcon. But Ford is better off not catering to me.

Edited by ehaase
  • Like 3