Focus Active Canceled!

Assimilator

I thought the plants were set up to be flexible? Is that not true anymore?

Not Flat Rock. It hasnt had a major retool probably ever. It was designed to me solely a car plant. Good luck fitting anything taller than a sedan in some of those areas. The Continental is very tight itself in a few places because of how long it is. On top of that theres word going around that Ford postponed or outright cancelled some of the major work they were planning on doing there, namely a new paint shop. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

And with that, I'm pretty sure that if Ford really wanted certain products,

then they could be added as incremental production to those C2 plants..

From previous discussions we know that Ford always has contingency plans

but sometimes that is to do nothing instead of jumping through more hoops..

Also FRAP is really scratching for enough builds to keep two shifts,

maybe stuffing another near car "Active" there would stabilize volumes..

Edited by jpd80

While that sounds promising, I see some problems with that, Ford has really taken a bath with

sales of MKZ and Continental. Fuzzy also mentioned that Utilities may not fit there as it's low height..

The new paint plant was also cancelled which is not a good sign either.

Perhaps this is why Hackett is not in the public at the moment,

I bet he's busy reworking lots of plans now to see what can be done.

His heart is in the right place but getting plans nailed down is just hard.

Like the rest here, I hope Ford makes those analysts eat their words next year..

Edited by jpd80

With this announcement, why not just offer one CD6 sedan with different "models" and engines (EB 2.0 to 7.3 Boss) instead of trying to get back in the fwd compact/midsize game, that would retain Ford car only buyers and spread cost with other CD6s, F-trucks and Lincoln.

Pretty sure they’re planning a CD6 Lincoln sedan to replace MKZ and there is still the possibility of a Lincoln coupe plus a Continental replacement. Is there a possibility of moving Corsair to the shortened CD6 platform too?

I bet they're not planning any of those things.

Well we havent heard word one out of the Lincoln side of things on the future of their sedans in general despite all signs pointing to them going away

They did say the cancelling of sedans did not apply to Lincoln. And someone else mentioned a 4 door coupe profile for the MKZ replacement. Continental and the coupe are still questionable.

Lincoln has a new sedan coming, as they ended a dealer brand presentation in June with sketches of a coupe-like sedan. (The entire video was shared on Facebook back then in a Lincoln fan page) This must be the MKZ replacement, and hopefully will be CD6 based.

Prior to this at the NY Auto Show Aviator debut they mentioned 2 new SUV’s by 2020 (Aviator and now we know Corsair) and 4 other new “vehicles” after 2020.

That sketch was basically the equivalent of drawing on a napkin. Im not believing it actually exists until I have more concrete proof it has been given a green light, with a program code and everything. So far there hasnt been much indication of that, just speculation.

I highly doubt Lincoln would tease their dealer sales force with a dead end design sketch....if so that would be ludicrous!

If indeed the sedan is dead at Lincoln, why would they show such a thing, to falsely lead their sales force in the wrong path? This isn’t Tesla or some other new startup that needs to entice with smoke and mirrors, it’s the FMC!

The presentation focused on Lincoln’s design aesthetic and included the Continental Concept and current MKZ as well as MKC and new Aviator sketches. The Lincoln designer leading it stressed the continuity of line and forms and expressed where they were going. It all ended on the swoopy sedan sketches, as a tease. If they’re have no intention of bringing out a new sedan, why would they end and show that? ( and this was post Fords announcement of dropping cars)

Alan Mullaly wanted to kill the Lincoln franchise along with Mercury so that the company could concentrate on its core business but the Ford family insisted that Lincoln could be saved with the proper investment, product development, etc. There was little existing Lincoln product at the time but Ford/Lincoln went about revamping the Lincoln Dealer commitment, etc. and promised new Lincoln exclusive products within five years. They further encouraged single Lincoln dealership points to merge with local Ford stores to consolidate Ford/Lincoln points in each Market. The transition to re-establishing the Lincoln brand as a luxury brand also included a whole new operational and staffing requirement on dealers including upgraded facilities, separate Lincoln staff (Sales, Service Managers & Advisors), Lincoln loaner vehicles, etc. There are certain economies of scale with being able to share staffing duties between franchises at a single location but requiring separate Lincoln staff for a low volume franchise substantially increases the fixed operating expenses.

Our Ford store was strongly encouraged to take over the local Lincoln franchise but our Dealer Principal quickly decided that it didn't make sense based on the financial commitment required and the lack of sufficient new Lincoln models to justify the commitment. Years later, Lincoln Dealers are still waiting to receive the new product promised years ago and current model Lincoln vehicles are selling at the Ford auctions for 40% off their MSRP.

Unless I've missed something, Ford doesn't break out financial results for the Lincoln Division a/k/a Lincoln Motor Company. As such, the substantial Lincoln losses financially are another example of how much Ford F-Series profits contribute to the company's health financially.

Time will tell if Ford's plans to eliminate all car models except for the Mustang is the right decision long term, especially since it's being reported that Ford has cancelled plans to import the Ford Active from China regardless of future tariff developments.

Further adventures to follow!

• Like 1

Ran into someone I used to work with at the company Ford uses for some consumer studies. The tariff was just the final straw for the active in the US, it BOMBED in the consumer clinics. Biggest problems were that the price point was high, (PP was going to be 21k-26k) style didnt work with the sub 40 consumer Ford was targeting, lack of AWD was also a big concern. Being assembled in China actually didnt have much impact in the clinics, though they conducted in coastal cities.

The tariff threat was the final straw, that it wasnt going to sell would have been much worse.

• Like 2

Ran into someone I used to work with at the company Ford uses for some consumer studies. The tariff was just the final straw for the active in the US, it BOMBED in the consumer clinics. Biggest problems were that the price point was high, (PP was going to be 21k-26k) style didnt work with the sub 40 consumer Ford was targeting, lack of AWD was also a big concern. Being assembled in China actually didnt have much impact in the clinics, though they conducted in coastal cities.

Sounds like part of the issue is with the name, people think Focus and say, I'm not going to spend X on that when I could get one "cheap"

IMO the styling on the new gen Focus isn't really anything write home about either and yeah the lack of AWD is an issue.

Maybe they can slap some more cladding on it to make it look beefy and add AWD to it at an MCE and try it with a new name next time around-they should have production issues in NAFTA hopefully nailed down by then.

Fair enough -Now tell us how to solve the 600 billion annual trade deficit without it hurting a little...

And don't tell me printing money to plug the hole as we have been doing for decades (kicking the can down the road) is the solution.

I have heard many complain, but I have not heard one single solution to the trade deficit. Your turn!

You can't resolve it, not quickly anyway. You think POTUS knows what he's doing on this? Farmers are already getting hammered on multiple fronts, with foreign customers going else where for soybeans, corn and pork, among other commodities, Trumps multi billion dollar one time bail out for farmers doesn't even come close enough to help them (their words, not mine). My industry is seeing some softening of demand due to price increases. Plugging the hole by printing money - we agree, that's a nonstarter.

There is no readily available solution. The absolute FACT is that our exports have dropped a little, over the last few months, and our imports went UP, even with Trumps stupid-ass tariffs (all of it in consumer goods). A solution for solving the trade deficit? Short of a massive recession to cut demand, that out strips U.S. suppliers capacity to manufacture at low prices that the market is demanding? Never going to happen. The fact is we have whole low price retail, on line and brick & mortar, built around cheap supply from Asia, including, but not limited, to China. Another fact is that the international auto industry's supply chain is built around different parts, coming from different countries, moving back and forth across international borders. This administrations moves to cut imports is disrupting a supply chain that can never move production quickly. Once a country of origin changes, on any vehicle part, due diligence demands long term testing for product liability and warranty liability reasons, plus anything in the power train has to meet further testing for emissions reasons. Those conditions are chiseled in stone, with very, very few exceptions. Parts supplier's contracts no longer allow for price increases due to raw material price increases, so now some suppliers very existence is threatened.

So resolve a huge trade deficit without it hurting a little? Can't be done, and it won't hurt a little - it'll hurt a lot and contribute to cause or exacerbating the next downturn.

Edited by Len_A