Apple carplay

Zippy557

Waiting on my 19 F350, moving up from an 07 f250. Lots of technology in the new truck what are everyone opinions on the sync and CarPlay in the newer vehicles ... I looked at it a little bit on the test drive of the 18 but looking for some real world use info.

Carplay takes over the sync 3 system completely. You can only use apps that carplay supports. Today that does not include Waze or Google Maps. With IOS 12 it will allow more apps to be used within Carplay.

Applink allows an individual app on the phone to interact with sync 3. It only works with specific apps that are applink ready.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I use CarPlay every day.  Google maps, Apple Maps and Waze are now all supported.  The music integration is spot on too. (not mention phone and messages).  Everyone seems to have a smartphone these days, factory navigation is almost unneeded at this point.

My one problem with CarPlay is I can't use voice commands to play music from the flash drive I keep in my car. I have to thumb through it manually or disable CarPlay to use voice commands. Kind of dumb. 

43 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My one problem with CarPlay is I can't use voice commands to play music from the flash drive I keep in my car. I have to thumb through it manually or disable CarPlay to use voice commands. Kind of dumb. 

Even when carplay isn't active?

26 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ugh, I need to empty a flash drive then ?

Hi fuzzy.  Make it a 32GB flash drive then. That is what the Ford/Lincoln Owner websites specify as necessary. Some people have stated they used 16GB drives, but Ford says minimum 32GB.

Good luck.