2018 Navigator Issues...Maybe?

jacksonrle

So long story shorts, we took a delivery of a Navigator Black Label 2 weeks ago. We have about 600 miles on it and so far...there are things that happened...that i feel like it should not have happened, for a 100k+ car...

First off, Liftgate:

The liftgate opens automatically sometimes (twice). Both happened as i was approaching the car. By all means, i DID NOT stand close to the sensor, or even try to do the kick motion to open it but it opened anyway.

Side mirrors,

Not sure how to explain this one, my exterior mirrors (happened once on driver, once on passenger) as i opened the door, and they adjust it to my key, it makes a continuous clicking sound and when i look up, it seems like theyre at the maximum adjustment, not sure what happens there...

Seatbelt reminder,

So my seatbelt reminder, does not want to chime when i unbuckle as im driving. I did find some answer in the manual, but it doesnt make much sense, also, passenger side doesnt even have seatbelt reminder? -.-

Windows open automatically...

I came back to my car once with all the windows rolled down...yikes, the key was in my wifes purse. Maybe it was triggered somehow. Anyway, disabled both open and close with key.

Any of you guys experienced those issues above? Or any other issues out there you may be experiencing?

Edited by jacksonrle

I had the exterior mirror problem with the glass seemingly trying to adjust past its limit and keep trying yesterday for the first time. Folding and unfolding the mirrors resolved the problem. There is a mention in the owner's manual about doing this to reset the mirrors. The suggestion in the manual is that manually moving the mirrors can result in needing a reset. I could have bumped it, I guess.

I have not had any of the other problems you describe.

Ive experianced the mirror issue and seen it mentioned here and another message board for both the Navigator and Expedition. The windows being down has happened to me one time but I believe it was due to the key being in my pocket and, by chance, activating the window down button combo. I believe the same is possible for the liftgate but if it happens more than a couple times Id suspect a larger problem. I believe my seatbelt chime takes about 10-15 seconds before actually making any noise.

In my humble opinion all sort of ‘unexplained’ things can happen when keys with fob are carried in a pocket or purse ... that’s why I always place the keys on my keychain into my pocket but let the fob hang outside the pocket (I usually wear shirttail out so the fob is covered from sight).

• Like 1

In my humble opinion all sort of unexplained things can happen when keys with fob are carried in a pocket or purse ... thats why I always place the keys on my keychain into my pocket but let the fob hang outside the pocket (I usually wear shirttail out so the fob is covered from sight).

I think the key fob is too big which doesnt help the buttons getting accidentally pushed, I wish it was smaller. I guess having the actual backup key inside the fob makes it tough to make it any smaller. I only carry the fob, no keys at all so buttons getting pushed happen from leaning against stuff.

You use the keypad to lock/unlock it if you leave the keys in it.

Yeah I understand the keypad entry part, I just didnt know if the handles would also work thus defeating the purpose of locking the key in the car. I guess the key has a pretty sensitive proximity range to be able to tell if Its in your pocket on the outside of the car vs inside the car.

Yeah I understand the keypad entry part, I just didnt know if the handles would also work thus defeating the purpose of locking the key in the car. I guess the key has a pretty sensitive proximity range to be able to tell if Its in your pocket on the outside of the car vs inside the car.

I havent studied the new navigator operation yet. But all other Ford/Lincoln products, the passive entry uses antenna in the external handles. It uses high and low frequency signals to and from the key to allow access. The key needs to be within 3 feet of the handle to detect it. Surprisingly when inside the vehicle, the handles dont detect the key. Which if they did, anyone could grab the handle from the outside and open a locked car if you were at a red light or something similar.

Also, The antennas to make it start are inside the car most in the headliner.

• Like 2

I had the exterior mirror problem with the glass seemingly trying to adjust past its limit and keep trying yesterday for the first time. Folding and unfolding the mirrors resolved the problem. There is a mention in the owner's manual about doing this to reset the mirrors. The suggestion in the manual is that manually moving the mirrors can result in needing a reset. I could have bumped it, I guess.

I have not had any of the other problems you describe.

I honestly don't know something like that could happen. Also sucks that the mirrors don't tilt when you put into reverse.

Ive experianced the mirror issue and seen it mentioned here and another message board for both the Navigator and Expedition. The windows being down has happened to me one time but I believe it was due to the key being in my pocket and, by chance, activating the window down button combo. I believe the same is possible for the liftgate but if it happens more than a couple times Id suspect a larger problem. I believe my seatbelt chime takes about 10-15 seconds before actually making any noise.

I do believe it was accidentally pressed as well. The key was in my wife's purse after all. About the mirrors, do you know if there's a fix?

The system can tell if the key is outside the vehicle or inside the vehicle. If you lock the fob in the vehicle it actually disables that fob anyway until the keypad is used to unlock it or you use another fob to unlock the vehicle. So even if they break in they still can’t start the vehicle.

• Like 1

The system can tell if the key is outside the vehicle or inside the vehicle. If you lock the fob in the vehicle it actually disables that fob anyway until the keypad is used to unlock it or you use another fob to unlock the vehicle. So even if they break in they still cant start the vehicle.

You just answered my very next question.

Mine has done the side mirror thing maybe 5 or 6 times so far (passenger side mirror only) It could be our car wash guy while cleaning it moved it and it had to reset. If not there is another issue with it. I took a video to give the dealer when I take it in for it's first service. Also I notice a slight chug if put in a AWD mode (excite or 4x4) if I am light on the gas and drive very easy you can feel the truck pulsing or surging. It is very slight and if the road is a little bumpy or rough it hides it completely. It goes away if I put it in 2wd Normal. It almost feels like the engine is misfiring. That is what the pulsing feels like but not sure why it would only happen in the 4wd modes. Could be due to a program change or something in the driveline. Either way it's under warranty and I will bring that up on its service as well. It doesn't seem to be getting worse or any better.

Mine has done the side mirror thing maybe 5 or 6 times so far (passenger side mirror only) It could be our car wash guy while cleaning it moved it and it had to reset. If not there is another issue with it. I took a video to give the dealer when I take it in for it's first service. Also I notice a slight chug if put in a AWD mode (excite or 4x4) if I am light on the gas and drive very easy you can feel the truck pulsing or surging. It is very slight and if the road is a little bumpy or rough it hides it completely. It goes away if I put it in 2wd Normal. It almost feels like the engine is misfiring. That is what the pulsing feels like but not sure why it would only happen in the 4wd modes. Could be due to a program change or something in the driveline. Either way it's under warranty and I will bring that up on its service as well. It doesn't seem to be getting worse or any better.

I haven't had the first car wash yet so I am assuming it could be a programing issue. It hasn't happened since then. I do noticed that because it's on auto and sometimes when the mirrors unfold before starting, it could happen. Anyway, i disabled my auto folding and haven't happened since.

I have the liftgate closing and opening on its own when Im close by issue as well as the mirror issue. The liftgate issue caused it to hit my garage door and now I have a scratch on the door. Get the feeling that its not gonna be easy to get that fixed under warranty.

Edited by HofstraJet

I have the liftgate closing and opening on its own when Im close by issue as well as the mirror issue. The liftgate issue caused it to hit my garage door and now I have a scratch on the door. Get the feeling that its not gonna be easy to get that fixed under warranty.

Hope you realize you can adjust the open-to height so it won't hit your garage door ...

• Like 1

Hope you realize you can adjust the open-to height so it won't hit your garage door ...

This is the first thing I did when I drove mine home for the first time. I had a long wait from time I ordered to delivery (August 2017 to January) so I downloaded the manual and read it.... a few times lol. When we took delivery I ended up showing my dealer a few things lol
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi!  I have a 18 Reserve that’s 14 months old now and suffered both the side mirror clicking and the rear hatch auto opening. 

I finally had both side mirror motors replaced and haven’t had the issue since!

it took some time, and a few videos emailed to the dealership, but they were finally able to witness the clicking. For me, over the last year, it started out intermittently, but progressively grew more common. 

Theres a tsb for the rear hatch, and the expeditions are apparently experiencing it as well. You should insist the dealer research that and correct the issue. 

-Matt