2020 Explorer Police Interceptor unmasked

I wonder if Ford's hybrid system involves an electric motor replacing the converter,

a better version of GM's dual mode hybrid or is it more like an assist motor on the

accessory drive like the GM's eAssist (BAS) or FCA eTorque

I couldn't imagine Ford doing a half asses system that didn't add significantly

to city fuel economy, it also needs to be expandable to accommodate PHEV

so i guess that rules out mild hybrids....

Edited by jpd80

The Hybrid generator is housed within the Transmission shroud, it's built alongside the driveline. This is unique to the RWD 10-speed transmission and can be bolted to any engine. The 2.5L I4 HEV/PHEV for the C2 vehicles is a familiar Atkinson Cycle design. AWD on the C2 PHEV requires a separate motor on the rear axle (similar to Toyota) because the battery/charger is in the way of the driveline (Corsair only C2 PHEV with AWD).

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

The Hybrid generator is housed within the Transmission shroud, it's built alongside the driveline. This is unique to the RWD 10-speed transmission and can be bolted to any engine. The 2.5L I4 HEV/PHEV for the C2 vehicles is a familiar Atkinson Cycle design. AWD on the C2 PHEV requires a separate motor on the rear axle (similar to Toyota) because the battery/charger is in the way of the driveline (Corsair only C2 PHEV with AWD).

The 10-speed sounds a bit like what ZF did a few years back

ZF_8HP_hybrid_construction-kit_corporate

And the C2 PHEV AWD sounds a bit like an Electric Axle

Electric_Axle_Drive_EVD2_cut_corporate_p

So basically, they can do RWD hybrid (i.e. Mustang, Transit, and F-150). The separate motor on the front axle approach on CD6 will require AWD, which doesn't make sense.

• 5 weeks later...

Michigan State Police tested the new 2020 PIU... the 3.0 Ecoboost version is nearly 1 second faster 0-100 than a Dodge Charger with 5.7 Hemi, and also faster around the handling lap :worship:

Meanwhile, the 3.3 HEV version of PIU also wiped the floor with Durango V6 and run almost neck to neck with Durango V8.

More importantly, the 2020 PIU 3.0 Ecoboost smashed all the times recorded by the existing PIU with 3.5 Ecoboost: 0.5 second faster 0-60; 0.2 second faster 0-100; 1.8 second faster in the handling lap.

Based on the test result, we have to assume that the new Explorer (CD6 in general) has significant weight reduction over the existing D4.

https://www.government-fleet.com/313807/michigan-state-polices-2019-preliminary-vehicle-testing-results

• Like 3

Michigan State Police tested the new 2020 PIU... the 3.0 Ecoboost version is nearly 1 second faster 0-100 than a Dodge Charger with 5.7 Hemi, and also faster around the handling lap :worship:

Meanwhile, the 3.3 HEV version of PIU also wiped the floor with Durango V6 and run almost neck to neck with Durango V8.

More importantly, the 2020 PIU 3.0 Ecoboost smashed all the times recorded by the existing PIU with 3.5 Ecoboost: 0.5 second faster 0-60; 0.2 second faster 0-100; 1.8 second faster in the handling lap.

Based on the test result, we have to assume that the new Explorer (CD6 in general) has significant weight reduction over the existing D4.

https://www.government-fleet.com/313807/michigan-state-polices-2019-preliminary-vehicle-testing-results

Very Impressive!!! :happy feet: :shift:

• Like 2

Freaking LOVE it! A V6 Ford Explorer SUV kicking the sheisse out of any V8 sedans in both acceleration, top speed, AND handling! And it's infinitely more useful to boot!

And this is before we get to the Aviator's PHEV version of the 3.0T.

Further proof Ford knows what it's doing better than most.

I can't wait for the Explorer Platinum and ST, really is going to knock the socks off of everything and reset the benchmark. Takes a long time to bake something this good.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

Imagine the Interceptor in a lighter rwd sedan, oohhhh..

Good job Ford but some departments still may be turned off by the potential high sticker price and maintenance on a new tt3.0, hybrid vs the older,familiar V8s. The 3.3 IMO would be competitive vs the Pentastar V6 but what's the performance/potential price vs the V8s?.

The hybrid's performance looks to be in a class of its own, not as quick as the 3.0 but it won't guzzle fuel as the other SUVs or maybe even a v6 Charger. Probably makes a good suburban county unit.

Edited by Fgts

Given Ford's current dominance in the LEV market, I'd say the battle of the TTV6 Vs V8 was won years ago.

It's more than likely that the 3.0 EB V6 will be similar price to the current 3.5 EB V6 but with better economy.

The hybrids are interesting, I guess fuel saved over lots of shifts is a big deal these days...

Edited by jpd80

Given Ford's current dominance in the LEV market, I'd say the battle of the TTV6 Vs V8 was won years ago.

It's more than likely that the 3.0 EB V6 will be similar price to the current 3.5 EB V6 but with better economy.

Might wanna recheck that. Vast majority of the PIs are 3.7s and in cities and suburbs, state highway police in most states are V8s. Northern states prefer the PIs (snow).

• Like 1

Might wanna recheck that. Vast majority of the PIs are 3.7s and in cities and suburbs, state highway police in most states are V8s. Northern states prefer the PIs (snow).

Cant get a PI or PIU with a V8-which most state police use anyways.

From what Ive seen here and other places, the charger doesnt hold up very well long term-that V8 isnt worth a damn if they are down for suspension/brake issues.

• Like 3

Funny--that was the same complaint I heard from OHP Troopers about the CVPIs...

I have a friend in the Border Patrol. He refuses to give up his CVPI because of the 4 vehicles they have at their post (Crown Vic, Taurus, Charger and Tahoe) it's the most well rounded. They have yet to get any Explorers at his post and they are already getting rid of the Tauruses, theyre pretty universally hated.

Visibility is much better in the CVPI vs pretty much anything else due to the lower beltline and abundance of glass (both of which are due to the panthers early design roots).

The outdated 2v 4.6/4R75W in the CVPIs are slow compared to even V6 chargers and 3.7L taurus/PIU nowadays (and most other sedans and CUVs on the road anymore). Although the V8 exhaust note winding out to 6000 rpm gives the CVPI an illusion of fastness.

I've also heard that Chargers don't hold up. At least not like CVPIs did.

Around my parts, it's a pretty equal mix of PI/PIU, Caprice, Chargers, Tahoes, and CVPI. It's kind of hard to believe there's still so many CVPIs out and about 7 years later but departments really seem to hang on to those things.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1