Chicago auto plant to start producing Aviator in 2019

j4ypal

Based on information from this forum and this article, the Aviator production will start in the second half of 2019. Maybe somebody here has a different or more precise information.

1) From what I understand, the Chicago plant will stop producing the Taurus by march 2019. See this article: https://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/chicago-assembly-plant-to-stop-production-of-taurus-get-significant/article_23dff552-371e-5683-91ba-e4ba30bb0a2c.html

2) Decker from this forum has mentioned the plant downtime will start march 1st 2019. So I imagine the retooling starts in march 2019 and will last 4-6 weeks.

3) So that takes us to mid-April 2019.

4) What happens then? Is it the "Tooling tryout" period? How long does the tooling tryout period usually last before the production units start rolling off the assembly line?

Thanks.

Based on information from this forum and this article, the Aviator production will start in the second half of 2019. Maybe somebody here has a different or more precise information.

1) From what I understand, the Chicago plant will stop producing the Taurus by march 2019. See this article: https://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/chicago-assembly-plant-to-stop-production-of-taurus-get-significant/article_23dff552-371e-5683-91ba-e4ba30bb0a2c.html

this is true.

2) Decker from this forum has mentioned the plant downtime will start march 1st 2019. So I imagine the retooling starts in march 2019 and will last 4-6 weeks.

this is also true. Maybe 6-8 weeks down, too early to tell yet.

3) So that takes us to mid-April 2019.

see below

4) What happens then? Is it the "Tooling tryout" period? How long does the tooling tryout period usually last before the production units start rolling off the assembly line?

MAP is going through this right now with the Ranger retool, granted its a much more massive project than what Chicago will be. We shut down on May 4th and arent scheduled to be up to full production until November (with early pilot builds starting full time in October)

Tooling tryout is exactly what it sounds like. They take about 2-3 weeks and run preproduction builds to test and calibrate the tools on the line. Right now at MAP we are starting to run trial builds (preproduction phase, or phase 2 in lay mans terms) next week.

So using MAP as an example the earliest Job 1 (official start of production) will be is probably around Labor Day 2019, perhaps sooner if things go smooth (which they probably wont).

Explorer will start production first before Aviator, but no idea what the gap between the 2 will be

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

this is also true. Maybe 6-8 weeks down, too early to tell yet.

see below

MAP is going through this right now with the Ranger retool, granted its a much more massive project than what Chicago will be. We shut down on May 4th and arent scheduled to be up to full production until November (with early pilot builds starting full time in October)

Tooling tryout is exactly what it sounds like. They take about 2-3 weeks and run preproduction builds to test and calibrate the tools on the line. Right now at MAP we are starting to run trial builds (preproduction phase, or phase 2 in lay mans terms) next week.

So using MAP as an example the earliest Job 1 (official start of production) will be is probably around Labor Day 2019, perhaps sooner if things go smooth (which they probably wont).

Explorer will start production first before Aviator, but no idea what the gap between the 2 will be

What do they do with the preproduction builds? I assume they arent sold to the public.

Yes, but the question would be, will it remain FWD/AWD based.....CD6 is a flexible chassis that can accommodate FWD based drivelines...

No it's not.

If Edge is staying FWD AWD it would be on C2 as per Ford's public comments.

(C2 being able to accommodate everything from Fiesta to Edge)

Edge has just received a major refresh with 8AT transmission and whenever we see Ford do that

it means that vehicle (Edge) won't be changing to CD6 (RWD/AWD) anytime soon.

Edited by jpd80

No it's not.

If Edge is staying FWD AWD it would be on C2 as per Ford's public comments.

(C2 being able to accommodate everything from Fiesta to Edge)

Edge has just received a major refresh with 8AT transmission and whenever we see Ford do that

it means that vehicle (Edge) won't be changing to CD6 (RWD/AWD) anytime soon.

Sorry, not buying it....C2 for Edge is really pushing the limits of what a C2 based vehicle can do. As I have read elsewhere, CD6 can accommodate RWD, AWD, and FWD driveline layouts, so with that said, the 8AT for Edge would remain in that configuration (FWD/AWD) and move to CD6. Essentially, Edge is the 5 seat version of Explorer...

CD6 is RWD/AWD, C2 is FWD/AWD, that is the order of things. I am not clear on what the 2023 Edge will be yet but everybody tells me it's FWD and CD6 is not FWD. The CD6 is not a flexible modular platform as rumored, it's a hard baked RWD platform very specifically designed their new RWD Hybrids.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

CD6 is RWD/AWD, C2 is FWD/AWD, that is the order of things. I am not clear on what the 2023 Edge will be yet but everybody tells me it's FWD and CD6 is not FWD. The CD6 is not a flexible modular platform as rumored, it's a hard baked RWD platform very specifically designed their new RWD Hybrids.

http://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-platforms/ford-cd6-platform/

Overview

The CD6 platform is an all-new architecture that represents a new way of building and designing vehicles for the Ford Motor Company. In that regard, CD6 is not so much a platform as it is a flexible vehicle set – a characteristic that allows it to share many parts in what would traditionally be disparate vehicles and platforms.

Notably, the CD6 architecture is capable of supporting vehicles of the “midsize” size class and larger, with the following drivetrain layouts:

• Front, transversely-mounted powertrain placement with front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive
  • Front, longitudinally-mounted powertrain placement with rear-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive

• 3 weeks later...