2018 Ford Mustang Cobra Jet is ready for the drag strip

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/16/2018-ford-mustang-cobra-jet-revealed/

2018-ford-mustang-cobra-jet-5.jpg

Only 68 will be produced

Ford has just unveiled the 2018 Ford Mustang Cobra Jet drag car to celebrate the model's 50th anniversary, and it's mean-looking. It's also fast. As previously reported, it features a bigger-displacement version of the Mustang GT's Coyote engine at 5.2 liters. On top of it is a 3.0-liter Whipple supercharger, and power is sent rearward to a Ford 9-inch solid axle. Ford claims it can do the quarter-mile in the mid-8-second range at 150 mph or more.

Full article at link above...

• Like 1

This is so weak! I'm not referring to the Cobra Jet, as it seems good at what it's trying to accomplish. They will only make 68 of these and they will not be road legal. What is weak? For PR/Marketing folks absolutely all need to be fired. Clean house and start over. In 2 years they have bungled more things, than any company I can remember. There is no unified message. Slide shows, CGI videos and talking about future products years in advance is getting old. When did they talk about the Bronco? 2015? Yet, it won't be here until the end of 2019 at best.

Why am I getting all riled up now? The GT500 should be unveiled already but it's not. At this point, it's going to be a one (maybe 2) model year car before the Mustang moves to the new platform. Meanwhile, it's been 8 months since the CGI video and nothing. Dodge and GM keep updating their performance cars, at a reasonable pace. It just seems like the GT500 is going to be DOA because it really should have been out this year (Why did GT350 production get pushed into another model year?).

I realize that this model is more halo/marketing type vehicle and not a gigantic revenue generator but I think this is yet another example of poor execution. Yet, another black eye.

• Like 2

Sorry, FCAs Demon changed the game, don't care if a one-trick pony dose the 1/4 faster if I can't legally drive it. Same for the Camaro.

This is foolish. So you don’t want Ford Performance to have a competitive vehicle to run in the most exciting class to come out of the NHRA in years?

• Like 1

This is foolish. So you dont want Ford Performance to have a competitive vehicle to run in the most exciting class to come out of the NHRA in years?

Its not really that, its SUCH a limited production run and not really available to the general public its not really worth the hype theyre giving it.

Sorry, FCAs Demon changed the game, don't care if a one-trick pony dose the 1/4 faster if I can't legally drive it. Same for the Camaro.

Other than bragging rights, what does it do for Dodge? How many do they sell? The Challenger architecture is aging badly with bad crash test data, the V6 is slow and it is still in 3rd place sales.

And I think it's downright dangerous not to have a roll bar in a Hellcat/Demon.

Other than bragging rights, what does it do for Dodge? How many do they sell? The Challenger architecture is aging badly with bad crash test data, the V6 is slow and it is still in 3rd place sales.

And I think it's downright dangerous not to have a roll bar in a Hellcat/Demon.

They made 3,300 Demons in a one year run and sold every one of them. Given the starting price was $86,090 on a platform that was paid for many years ago, I'd say they made some money on it.

As for what did it do for Dodge? Read this: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2017/09/17/dodge-sees-payoff-demon-hype/105745768/

Also, at a time when car sales at a massive decline, Challenger, being as old as it is...is currently up 2% for the year while Mustang and Camaro are both down (on the heels of both being refreshed too).

I'd say Dodge isn't too worried.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

The problem is with such a low build is people cant actually put there hands on it in the showroom...these type of cars draw interest and if (potential buyer) they find its not practical may be be they leave in a fusion (usually wife tags along in such matters)...as it stands its a mustang and thats fine but its a useless draw outside a very narrow circle of those who will be interesed and would even know about it....at least the dealership could put a boss 429 in the showroom back in that day but with only 68 current CJ's built is rather useless to draw foot traffic into the showroom

A bold move would be a street version of the CJ with passenger seats, SRA and all. It don't have to be as fast as the track version shown here.

this.

By all means have the Drag special but please Ford, back it up with a road version,

The Cobra Jet should be a grandfathered GT350 and the GT500 moved in to replace it.

What am I missing here? Isn’t the GT500 going to use a version of the same engine??

As i read it,

The Shelby GT is a Ford Mustang GT sold through Shelby, basically uses the 5.0 Bullitt engine tune with more upgrades

including a supercharger kit as an option down the track...

The GT350 uses the 5.2 Voodoo and the Shelby name but sold through Ford dealers, the GT500 is rumored to have the S/C Voodoo,

or is it a S/C cross plane Coyote?

Edited by jpd80

As i read it,

The Shelby GT is a Ford Mustang GT sold through Shelby, basically uses the 5.0 Bullitt engine tune with more upgrades

The GT350 uses the 5.2 Voodoo and the Shelby name but sold through Ford dealers, the GT500 is rumored to have the S/C Voodoo,

GT500, not Shelby GT

As i read it,

I’m not talking about the CJ or anything Shelby sells. You said back up the CJ with a road version. I’m saying the road version of the CJ is the GT500 which will also use a supercharged 5.2 - probably the same engine but maybe a different supercharger or different tune for better street manners.

• Like 2

I’m not talking about the CJ or anything Shelby sells. You said back up the CJ with a road version. I’m saying the road version of the CJ is the GT500 which will also use a supercharged 5.2 - probably the same engine but maybe a different supercharger or different tune for better street manners.

I see what you mean

If the expectation is that the road version of CJ must have a S/C V8 then yes, the GT500 fills that role.

What I suggested was basically renaming the GT350 as the road going Cobra Jet and replace the GT350 with GT500...

Perhaps Ford considers Bullitt and GT350 or GT500 enough at one time...

Edited by jpd80

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. We've seen leaked pictures of the supercharged 5.2L V8 with Cobra logo on it. Could have been the CJ drag but it was the general thought that it was actually the upcoming GT500 as you mentioned.

I see what you mean

If the expectation is that the road version of CJ must have a S/C V8 then yes, the GT500 fills that role.

That is what has been figured by everyone the past year or so. I noticed that the recent press announcements of the CJ did not include power figures. I think that's because they are waiting for the official GT500 reveal in which they will reveal power figures of the GT500. Then they'll announce power figures of the CJ after that since both use same engine but likely different supercharger and tuning as akirby suggested.

That's a fair assessment - a GT500 and a road going S/C Cobra Jet are basically the same thing

and Ford wouldn't want both at the same time as it just splits sales.

The drag car will be a beast and I"m sure the power figures will be impressive but equally,

the release of the Drag CJ's power figures will be delayed so as to not rain on the GT500's

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1