2018 Edge Battery Really Died

cameracarl

I bought a 2018 AWD V6 Edge three weeks ago. Last week, at 850 miles, I parked the vehicle on Sunday after a four hour drive and left it until Monday night. I opened it to get something out and locked it. On Tuesday night I went to open the car and the battery was completely dead. I was unable to use the key fob or Keyless Entry to open the car, so the tow truck driver had to use the "real" key to open the door. He jump started the Edge and it started right up, but the clock, date, radio stations, etc. were all reset to factory settings. I drove it 50 miles to the nearest Ford dealer who did a complete check of the electrical system: battery check, check for shorts, etc. They said they could find no codes or anything to explain why the battery went dead: no shorts, battery good, etc. They said I must have left a door open or something, but I know I didn't, and anyway, I thought the electrical system would shut off anything automatically after 10-45 minutes.

So, does anyone have an idea what I should do next? My wife doesn't want to drive the car if the battery can go dead in 24-48 hours with no identifiable cause. My local dealer is reluctant to run diagnostics since they say the warranty does not cover it if the car isn't broken.

p.s. if I am posting in the wrong forum, let me know and I'll repost correctly. Thanks.

Thats kind of a lame response by the dealer.

That's what I was thinking. I think I would find a new dealer. Any dealer that doesn't want to help your warrantied car is a dealer you should stay away from.

There was an issue a while back with 2017 Fusions with batteries dying on a regular basis. I am pretty sure there was a TSB that had a fix. Issues like this occur from time to time. If it happens again, I would go to another dealer and have them check it out.

To the OP: Sorry you're having issues with your new Edge. Random discharged batteries are one of the hardest things to diagnose both for the customer and the technician. By the time it is dead, you have no clues to go off of as all codes have most likely been erased due to the lack of KAM power. There are several common issues with everything they build today, but without it actually acting up it is near impossible to properly diagnose. To compound, the tow truck may have inadvertently corrected the cause temporarily by simply starting it.

The most common Edge issues are rear view cameras shorting internally, shifter park detect switch, and battery itself. It is also not uncommon to have water intrusion in a whole host of connectors and potentially the BCM. I've also seen key fobs intermittently cycling the locks, door ajar switches intermittently malfunctioning and key in ignition switches (for keyed units) malfunctioning.

They want to diagnose it, trust me. We don't get paid to not fix stuff. But it can be terribly difficult. If you ever see the cluster lit randomly, or the "P" in the PRNDL display not be "red" in park, those all are great clues for the repairing technician.

Thats kind of a lame response by the dealer.

Had that happen in my 2012 Equinox. Left me dead at Walmart in January. Luckily the dealership was next door. Ran the battery on the G8 and it came out ok.

Acted up a week later at home so I replaced the battery myself and then had the old one tested again for warranty. Got it to fail that time, had a short.

i'm sure they have similar rules, if the printout says it's good they're stuck. Has to show bad to warranty.