Ughhhh... F150s being investigated for seatbelt fires

So now we're putting explosive charges in seat belt tensioners to ensure they're good and tight when the impact happens? What could possibly go wrong? Somehow I doubt Ford was the only automaker who decided to implement this great idea though.

Every car made in probably the last 15+ years has them, some Europen and Asian countries even require them in the back seats. Its more why is there an issue when they have been in so many vehicles for so long with no issues.

• Like 1

Every car made in probably the last 15+ years has them, some Europen and Asian countries even require them in the back seats. Its more why is there an issue when they have been in so many vehicles for so long with no issues.

Same question can be asked for the Takata nonsense. Shoddy/substandard materials.
  • Like 1

So now we're putting explosive charges in seat belt tensioners to ensure they're good and tight when the impact happens? What could possibly go wrong? Somehow I doubt Ford was the only automaker who decided to implement this great idea though.

Welcome to the 21st century.....

• Like 1

Same question can be asked for the Takata nonsense. Shoddy/substandard materials.

Well that's even worse, manufactures knew they were in a issue and still putting them in cars up to last year knowing they would need to recall those vehicles to fix them.

It is like Ford's door latch though. Can we save one more 1 cent.....

It ultimately goes back to propellant choice and cost was a lot to do with it. Takata switched from tetrazole to amonium nitrate to make there inflators smaller, more powerful and cheaper. There were more expensive and safer propellants out there from every Takata competitor. EVERY manufacturer knew what they were buying.

Back in the 90s I also remember taking training courses that said that there is an in service time limit for the inflator due to propellant.

Makes me wonder if I should be removing the seat belts and airbags from all my old vehicles. Sounds like they'd be safer without them.....

Still waiting on the takata recall notice on my 2011 ranger. I haven't received one for the 2001 Ranger. I have a hard time believing the 17 year old air bag has a better chance of not exploding in my face than the 7 year old one.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Makes me wonder if I should be removing the seat belts and airbags from all my old vehicles. Sounds like they'd be safer without them.....

Still waiting on the takata recall notice on my 2011 ranger. I haven't received one for the 2001 Ranger. I have a hard time believing the 17 year old air bag has a better chance of not exploding in my face than the 7 year old one.

The scary part is,

Long-term exposure to environmental moisture and wide temperature fluctuations over time can degrade the propellant used to deploy the airbag, making it unstable and prone to unexpectedly explode.

It may be better for you to contact your dealer and discuss, your vehicle may have dropped off their radar.

If no one has contacted you now, chances are you've been missed.

You can always go here and check what recalls are open for your vehicle https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html.

Also old airbags are fine, GM and Ford have had ones installed in the 70's deploy in recently in crashes recently and not have any fragmentation issues. Its going to depend on the propellant used. Takata went cheap, used a cheaper propellant and low quality housing.

I ran the vins. The 2011 has no open recalls. Apparently the 2001 never got the cruise control switch fixed because that recall is still open. No airbag recall though.

I suppose I should take it in for the cruise switch. I just want to be standing there to see the Tech's face when he pops the hood and finds the intercooled 2.3 turbo staring back at him.

• 3 weeks later...