New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

theoldwizard

Leather, leather, leather ...

Many, many years ago we had real 100% leather seats. The we had "leather seating surfaces", which meant only the parts of seat that your butt, back and thighs touched were leather. The rest were a high quality vinyl that was indistinguishable from the real leather.

Now the have "leather trimmed" seats. I am sure that means even fewer square inches of leather are actually used in the seat cover. Does anyone know what parts of "leather trimmed" seats are actually leather ?

Many, many years ago we had real 100% leather seats. The we had "leather seating surfaces", which meant only the parts of seat that your butt, back and thighs touched were leather. The rest were a high quality vinyl that was indistinguishable from the real leather.

Now the have "leather trimmed" seats. I am sure that means even fewer square inches of leather are actually used in the seat cover. Does anyone know what parts of "leather trimmed" seats are actually leather ?

I would assume the leather trimmed is the outer surfaces of the front seat-seems like some newer ford Products have a cloth insert or naugahyde material in the middle of them

nauga1copy.jpg

Good question. The front seats of my Mustang are leather trimmed but the back seat, which is useless anyway, is 100% vinyl. I cannot tell a lick of difference between what is supposed to be leather and what is vinyl.

I thought Leather trimmed was just the new version of “leather seating surfaces”.

The old version of the King Ranch seats were the last "real" leather. The stuff today... not so much.

Giving you less for more $$$$

The high quality vinyl lasts longer. All leather seats wrinkle and look bad in 5 years typically. I remember the early 2000 Cadillacs. (Although they always had a nice smell to them) the seats looked so rough after a few years.

cordoba.jpg

theres a guy who lives somewhere near me who daily drives one of these still. I see him all the time

theres a guy who lives somewhere near me who daily drives one of these still. I see him all the time

What is this car? I was wondering the significance of the car's picture being posted here in this thread.

I think more high quality vinyl being used on seats is for both longevity and to lower manufacturer's costs while boosting profits.

What is this car? I was wondering the significance of the car's picture being posted here in this thread.

I think more high quality vinyl being used on seats is for both longevity and to lower manufacturer's costs while boosting profits.

Yes. Its a Córdoba. Same color

More importantly, its Ricardo Montalban in his prime!

To get more of the proper effect, you need to imagine Ricardo Montalban saying in a Spanish accent on a TV commercial..."I am Ricardo Montalban. And dees...with its gorgeous Corinthian leather...is dee new...luxurious...Chrysler Cordoba." :)

To get more of the proper effect, you need to imagine Ricardo Montalban saying in a Spanish accent on a TV commercial..."I am Ricardo Montalban. And dees...with its gorgeous Corinthian leather...is dee new...luxurious...Chrysler Cordoba." :)

All we need now is Tattoo in a Fiat 500

Edited by jpd80

Back when the all-new 1974 Mercury Cougar XR-7 was introduced the standard interior trim was vinyl with leather being the upgrade uption. The vinyl was super soft and you couldn't tell the difference from the leather. By far the majority of the Cougar's were equipped with bucket seats and console with the floor shift. If I remember correctly, if you ordered a power moonroof you couldn't get the floor shift and you ended up with bucket seats and console but with a column shift.

post-7588-0-97798300-1534107728_thumb.jpg

Edited by ice-capades
Added 1974 Cougar XR-7 Photo

All we need now is Tattoo in a Fiat 500

I was thinking a Dodge Omni.

More importantly, its Ricardo Montalban in his prime!

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Back when the all-new 1974 Mercury Cougar XR-7 was introduced the standard interior trim was vinyl with leather being the upgrade uption. The vinyl was super soft and you couldn't tell the difference from the leather. By far the majority of the Cougar's were equipped with bucket seats and console with the floor shift. If I remember correctly, if you ordered a power moonroof you couldn't get the floor shift and you ended up with bucket seats and console but with a column shift.

My 1974 Ford Gran Torino Elite is the mirror to the XR-7 and like the sales brochure exclaimed, "In the tradition of the Thunderbird". Sitting in the front seat is like sitting on your couch...

20604186_10210758551735764_7061787338134

post-19901-0-30682700-1534124332_thumb.jpegI really want to sit on that genuine Corinthian leather. It certainly looks comfortable and luxurious!

Edited by 2005Explorer

I would assume the leather trimmed is the outer surfaces of the front seat-seems like some newer ford Products have a cloth insert or naugahyde material in the middle of them

Giving you less for more $$$$

I am looking for a definitive answer, but I assume the above 2 statements are correct !

I do not like the leather in my EB Explorer. I have worked hard to keep it nice - but the front seats are getting that worn look - I had to re-color the insert with a product I found on-line. It worked OK. Here is the problem, I was running errands with my dog keeping me company, and all I did was worry that he would get excited at something he saw and dig his paw right through that worn leather. A vehicle designed for the active life - skiing, camping, hiking, bike riding, etc should have some kind of high tech fabric interior that is indifferent to getting wet from rain and snow, easy to clean, impervious to UV rays from the sun, and DOG PROOF! I hope to never own what is sold as 'leather trimmed seats' ever again.

My 2007 Eddie Bauer Explorer with 235,000 miles, "leather seating surfaces" still look good. clean condition about once every other month.