GM engineers took public tours of Dearborn

MY93SHO

Did the original Challenger sell many convertibles?

The figures I found show that Dodge produced 3,884 Challenger convertibles for 1970. It then produced 1,857 Challenger convertibles for 1971, which was the final year that the Challenger and Barracuda offered a convertible.

It's interesting that Dodge even revived the Challenger, as the original one was basically a flop. It had one semi-decent year of sales (1970), and then declined dramatically for 1971. Sales stayed low until the end (the 1974 model year).

The new one has been more successful than the old one.

The figures I found show that Dodge produced 3,884 Challenger convertibles for 1970. It then produced 1,857 Challenger convertibles for 1971, which was the final year that the Challenger and Barracuda offered a convertible.

It's interesting that Dodge even revived the Challenger, as the original one was basically a flop. It had one semi-decent year of sales (1970), and then declined dramatically for 1971. Sales stayed low until the end (the 1974 model year).

The new one has been more successful than the old one.

Sales-wise yes the original was a bit of a flop, however over the years for whatever reason it developed a legendary reputation which paved the way for the new one to be such a success.

The Challenger was late to the party. The Mustang came out in April, 1964 and Dodge didn't bring out the Challenger until the 1970 model year. By then, the pony car market was crowded and overall sales were already starting to decline. The gas crisis of 1973 didn't help matters with "gas guzzlers" rapidly falling out of favor. But, Challengers with the 440 "six pack" and especially the 426 Hemi, quickly became legendary and the passing years have only served to enhance that reputation. Excellent condition 426 Challengers can go for well over $100,000. I've seen some go for $250,000.

• Like 1

I think the reputation of the most affordable V8 coupe with more rear seat room is why

Challenger skips away with more sales than the other two, it's connecting with Mopar buyers.

And who couldn't love a Hemi V8 that gives good gas mileage thanks to FCA's version of AFM.....

Edited by jpd80