GM engineers took public tours of Dearborn

MY93SHO

If all the GM engineers found was difficulty with Ford installing doors, they didn't get to look that deep. I'm sure they'll learn a lot more from buying an F150 and taking it apart.

As long as we're on the subject, I'm a bit puzzled by their 2.7 liter inline four. From what I've read, it won't be the "bread and butter" engine for the GM twins. I guess I don't understand this logic. The 2.7EB Ford has done wonders. If GM was putting this much engineering into a new line of engines for the twins, you'd think they do more work on an engine that would be a big seller. Or maybe I just read into it wrong...

As long as we're on the subject, I'm a bit puzzled by their 2.7 liter inline four. From what I've read, it won't be the "bread and butter" engine for the GM twins. I guess I don't understand this logic. The 2.7EB Ford has done wonders. If GM was putting this much engineering into a new line of engines for the twins, you'd think they do more work on an engine that would be a big seller. Or maybe I just read into it wrong...

Good point 92merc sir. Only the midgrade LT and RST models will be available with 2.7 liter turbo. I thought GM would at least make it an option for more trim levels. I guess full size pickup truck buyers really like V8 engines.

2019-chevy-silverado-1500-engine-lineup.

... armed with stopwatches and trained eyes, the GM engineers believed they saw problems.

“They had a real hard time getting those doors to fit,” Tim Herrick, the executive chief engineer for GM truck programs told Reuters.

Is door fitment during vehicle assembly still a challenge for Ford F-150? Did Ford have that problem with the previous generation F-150 with steel doors and cab?
Edited by rperez817

And considering the same displacement Ford is pulling 325HP and 400 flt/lbs vs. the GM 310 and 348, the GM falls short in the torque department. Which is probably why it isn't in more vehicles. But I'd call that a failure of planning.

I4 single turbo vs. V6 twin turbo. Not exactly the same.

The issue with GM's 2.7 I-4 T is that GM is not looking to replace its V6 sales,

they are still very much in the mind of adding engines. What we see with the

2.7 EB V6 is a shift in F150 buyers who would have once bought 4.6 or 5.4 V8s.

GM does have two very good TT V6s but we would be forgiven for not knowing that

because they continue to be captive to low selling Cadillacs. To me this exemplifies

the difference in philosophy between GM and Ford's delivery of technology.

Edited by jpd80

If all the GM engineers found was difficulty with Ford installing doors, they didn't get to look that deep. I'm sure they'll learn a lot more from buying an F150 and taking it apart.

2.7 I-4 isn't in the parts catalog yet. Just the 5.3 and 6.2.

The "Tri-Power" 2.7L 4 cylinder from GM should be part of their medium SUV engine programs....as well as drop it in Camaro.

There's supposedly more variations of the 2.7 coming into CUVs and cars. IMO the Traverse needs it and would make a good rwd Chevy sedan option.

There's supposedly more variations of the 2.7 coming into CUVs and cars. IMO the Traverse needs it and would make a good rwd Chevy sedan option.

RWD Chevy sedan? Talk about unneeded. Theyve been there done that, and its not exactly like the FWD sedan market is lighting the world on fire lately either. Theyre better off investing in a RWD Traverse to better compete with the CD6 Explorer. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

RWD Chevy sedan? Talk about unneeded. Theyve been there done that, and its not exactly like the FWD sedan market is lighting the world on fire lately either. Theyre better off investing in a RWD Traverse to better compete with the CD6 Explorer.

The RWD sedan would probably have worked better if they gave it some style like Chrysler did, instead of making it look like a 90's Pontiac. But I agree that they need to spend serious money on a RWD/AWD utility vehicle real soon! That needs to be an urgent priority and they need a Cadillac platform mate quickly!

The RWD sedan would probably have worked better if they gave it some style like Chrysler did, instead of making it look like a 90's Pontiac. But I agree that they need to spend serious money on a RWD/AWD utility vehicle real soon! That needs to be an urgent priority and they need a Cadillac platform mate quickly!

FCAs RWD sedans arent exactly doing great either. They are doing OK despite their age though.

FCAs RWD sedans arent exactly doing great either. They are doing OK despite their age though.

Agreed.

I do think much of the slower sales stem from not updating as much as the CUV shift. They would sell at least 25% better in my opinion if people could see that they are new and not look like the cars they're ready to trade in.

They could easily have one full size sedan (Charger), one coupe (Challenger) and one CUV (300) off the platform and sell well and be the best profit mix off the full sized RWD platform.

So yes, if I were in charge of FCA, the 300 would be turned into the 300 Town and Country CUV.

Edited by atomcat68

Agreed.

I do think much of the slower sales stem from not updating as much as the CUV shift. They would sell at least 25% better in my opinion if people could see that they are new and not look like the cars they're ready to trade in.

They could easily have one full size sedan (Charger), one coupe (Challenger) and one CUV (300) off the platform and sell well and be the best profit mix off the full sized RWD platform.

So yes, if I were in charge of FCA, the 300 would be turned into the 300 Town and Country CUV.

They dont really need to though, that platform was paid for a decade ago.

The LX will continue on its platform though it will be extensively reworked and lightened, one thing I hear on the 300 is a sportback may come in it's next generation.

The LX will continue on its platform though it will be extensively reworked and lightened, one thing I hear on the 300 is a sportback may come in it's next generation.

I hope they continue to build these cars. Although Im a Ford fan, I do like the Challenger and the Charger.

We visited Florida recently (Tampa, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale). I was amazed at the number of Dodge Challengers on the road. And they weren't rental cars (that would have been the Mustang convertibles).

I recently saw a Challenger that the guy had chopped off the roof and made a convertible out of it. It looked pretty good, actually.

I recently saw a Challenger that the guy had chopped off the roof and made a convertible out of it. It looked pretty good, actually.

There is a company that does this. It had two on display at the big Chryslers at Carlisle show held in July. As you said, the cars are a natural for a convertible conversion.

Edited by grbeck