No V-6, really?

HotRunrGuy

The 2.3LEB will push 300 hp and 325 lb/ft (minimally - thinking it may be detuned slightly for truck duty).

The SOHC 4.0L Ranger V6 was 210/254. And the 2.3LEB will give you almost all that torque right off idle.

It's going to be an excellent engine for Ranger and more than adequate outside of Raptor/Lightning versions.

• Like 2

How it stacks up against Tacoma is all that matters!

This is what I read: TRD Off-Road, Limited, and TRD Pro trims is a 3.5L 24-Valve DOHC Atkinson-Cycle V6 engine which cranks out 278 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque.

Advantage: Ranger w/Ecoboost

• Like 2

Anybody else disappointed that there's no V-6 option, like the 2.7EB, being offered in the new Ranger? As impressive as the 4-banger might be, numbers-wise, I just can't wrap my head around this.

HRG

I was disappointed initially too. Then I got to test drive a 2018 Mustang with 2.3 liter EcoBoost and 10-speed auto. The turbo lag and other power delivery issues with other EcoBoost engines have largely been fixed.

I'm confident that this powertrain will suit the U.S. Ford Ranger well. I plan to make 2019 or 2020 Ranger my next truck.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

There is no turbo lag in ecoboost engines therefore there is nothing to fix.

All gasoline and diesel engines with exhaust driven turbochargers have turbo lag. Physics dictates this. Exhaust flow at low engine speeds particularly at idle is constrained. That means there will be a pause before the turbine spools up.

Many newer designs reduce turbo lag significantly. Techniques such as twin scroll, variable geometry, precise control of boost pressure and other software optimizations, etc. can be used.

2.3L Ecoboost demonstrates this improvement. Same deal with JLR Ingenium engines. 2018 Mustang EcoBoost I test drove and my own Jaguar XF turbodiesel show night and day difference in minimizing lag compared to Ford and JLR vehicles with older EcoBoost engines.

I'm satisfied with 2.3L Ecoboost & 10 speed auto powertrain being the only choice in new Ford Ranger for U.S.

• 1 month later...

I think the Colorado / Canyon is the real bogie here, not the Tacoma. I know the Tacoma sells well, but it's HP and Torque are easy to beat.

The GM's 3.6L V6's 306 HP / 275 ft.lb. is the closest reference point. The torque will be easy to beat, but the HP is a tough call.

If Ford wants the 2.3 to run on 87 octane...that may be a limiting factor in the advertised HP. I think they'll get there, but it won't be a walk in the park. If it requires 91 or 93 octane, that may be a 'turn off' to many potential buyers...when the competition doesn't require it. I think Ford would be making a mistake if they go the premium fuel route.

I think the Colorado / Canyon is the real bogie here, not the Tacoma. I know the Tacoma sells well, but it's HP and Torque are easy to beat.

The GM's 3.6L V6's 306 HP / 275 ft.lb. is the closest reference point. The torque will be easy to beat, but the HP is a tough call.

If Ford wants the 2.3 to run on 87 octane...that may be a limiting factor in the advertised HP. I think they'll get there, but it won't be a walk in the park. If it requires 91 or 93 octane, that may be a 'turn off' to many potential buyers...when the competition doesn't require it. I think Ford would be making a mistake if they go the premium fuel route.

Do you honestly think somebody is going to buy a Canyorado over a Ranger because of a few HP?

• Like 1

GM's 3.6L is a wonderful engine. I'm running it in my 2017 GMC Acadia FWD, the power is amazing. When I make my runs from SW New Mexico to Salt Lake City the transmission stays in top gear (6th) going through the mountains except for 2 spots. For the most part it's back roads, not interstate once you pass Albq so I set the cruise at 65 mph and I typically avg over 35 mpg. I don't see a 4 cylinder in my future, just prefer the 6's. Did test drive the MKX with the 3.7 and 2.7EB, both had plenty of power and they should return excellent fuel mileage. Parked next to a new Colorado 4 door today, it's larger then my Acadia. To big for a small truck, prefer the old Ranger size.

post-30007-0-14799200-1536721879_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Do you honestly think somebody is going to buy a Canyorado over a Ranger because of a few HP?

I doubt it. Main advantage to GM's 3.6L V6 is its smooth power delivery and nice sound compared to Ford 2.3L turbo, rather than than just the higher horsepower rating. A few customers who are new to pickup trucks may prefer that kind of refinement. Otherwise, most customers won't care one way or another.

GM's 3.6L is a wonderful engine. I'm running it in my 2017 GMC Acadia FWD, the power is amazing. When I make my runs from SW New Mexico to Salt Lake City the transmission stays in top gear (6th) going through the mountains except for 2 spots. For the most part it's back roads, not interstate once you pass Albq so I set the cruise at 65 mph and I typically avg over 35 mpg. I don't see a 4 cylinder in my future, just prefer the 6's. Did test drive the MKX with the 3.7 and 2.7EB, both had plenty of power and they should return excellent fuel mileage. Parked next to a new Colorado 4 door today, it's larger then my Acadia. To big for a small truck, prefer the old Ranger size.

attachicon.gif1986 Ford Ranger.JPG

I would not say the GM 3.6 Power is amazing in any way. I've been driving a 2018 XT5 Premium for 3 weeks, and I'm uninspired by the power. It is OK, but not inspiring in any way. MPG is good, I got about 27 on a trip to SD and back to Chicago while on the highway at 75-80. For a $59,000 vehicle I was shocked how bad the seats are. Very uncomfortable. Can't wait until I get my Mustang back.

Edited by LSchicago
  • Like 1

My 2016 Canyon 3.6L 6-Speed auto has been a chore to drive for 47,000 miles now. Constant shifting, no power under 2,400 RPM, and the transmission likes to use 6th gear at 42 mph which causes noticable stuttering on the verge of a full-out stall. A light hill at 65 mph requires two shifts from 6th to 5th to finally 4th to maintain speed. I'm just trying to figure out how to get into a Ranger the fastest way possible at this point. Nothing can be this bad.

• Like 2

My 2016 Canyon 3.6L 6-Speed auto has been a chore to drive for 47,000 miles now. Constant shifting, no power under 2,400 RPM, and the transmission likes to use 6th gear at 42 mph which causes noticable stuttering on the verge of a full-out stall. A light hill at 65 mph requires two shifts from 6th to 5th to finally 4th to maintain speed. I'm just trying to figure out how to get into a Ranger the fastest way possible at this point. Nothing can be this bad.

My mothers 08 Acadia had similar issues, the 17 Acadia 3.6L is an entirely new engine. The engine and transmission now work together beautifully. Enjoy the new Ranger when you get it, I've always been a big fan of the Ranger.

Attached is a little historical picture of a Ranger test truck at Ford's Yucca AZ proving grounds in Aug 1981. They let me in by mistake, just because I was driving a Ford (Pinto).

post-30007-0-59723500-1536817251_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello and welcome nordicpc sir! Has your GMC/Buick dealership checked the service calibrations for the transmission and engine computers in your truck? There's a software update mentioned in bulletins PIP5303 and PIP5303A. It applies to 2015 and some 2016 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon V6. Maybe that will help with the transmission operation.

Hope you can get the transmission issues sorted out on your Canyon while you wait to get your new Ford Ranger. Colorado and Canyon are very good trucks otherwise.

Hello and welcome nordicpc sir! Has your GMC/Buick dealership checked the service calibrations for the transmission and engine computers in your truck? There's a software update mentioned in bulletins PIP5303 and PIP5303A. It applies to 2015 and some 2016 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon V6. Maybe that will help with the transmission operation.

Hope you can get the transmission issues sorted out on your Canyon while you wait to get your new Ford Ranger. Colorado and Canyon are very good trucks otherwise.

Ohh yes, I've been to the dealership several times about the issue. They claim every bulletin has been taken care of, and all software updates are in. Really, it's just poorly geared at the end of the day. I used high-octane gas for a while and the problem mostly went away, but with prices going up, I've decided to just deal with it until I can move on.

Thank you for the help though!

Ohh yes, I've been to the dealership several times about the issue. They claim every bulletin has been taken care of, and all software updates are in. Really, it's just poorly geared at the end of the day. I used high-octane gas for a while and the problem mostly went away, but with prices going up, I've decided to just deal with it until I can move on.

Thank you for the help though!

I know what you mean when you talk about poor gearing in a GM transmission. I had a 2009 Pontiac G5 (5 speed manual) I inherited when I got married.

The gearing in that thing was HORRIBLE. I hated that car so much, I was so happy to trade it for our Focus (again 5 speed). 1st 2nd and 3rd gears were way too tall and 4th and 5th were too short and it just neutered whatever power the engine had.