O2 sensor warranty

F0cus

Hi,

My check engine light came on the other day and the scanned error is P013A: Oxygen sensor slow response - Rich to Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Is the O2 sensor covered under the certain emissions parts (for catalytic converters, electronic emissions control units and onboard emissions diagnostic devices) which has an 8 year warranty or the basic, 3 year bumper to bumper warranty which expires 6 months ago...

Ive reached out to both my local dealer and Ford and neither could provide me with even an educated guess, and Im struggling to understand why this isnt a simple question and answer...

Thank you for any help/insight you can provide!

First, 95% of the time that code is NOT a failure of the sensor itself, but another upstream component causing the switch rate to be slow. A lot of times with the downstream it is a small leak upstream of the sensor. I have had several that the sensor bung itself has a pinhole, allowing air in. So they can't give you a definitive answer without diagnosing it properly.

Akirby - Failure of a covered component is failure and it is covered regardless of the failure mode, as long as it is a warrantable failure. i.e. it wasn't damaged by user error or road damage.

The only way to 100% know if the component is covered is to run it on the parts coverage utility on OASIS. For that they would need your VIN, miles, state of registry and base part number (9G444).

Thank you all for the responses, I guess this shows that there isnt an obvious answer to my question, but I appreciate all of this new information and I feel much better about being able to talk with Ford about the issue when I bring my car in this weekend.

I will make sure to follow up and let everyone know what the official diagnosis and repair was.