2020 Super Duty Spied

6.2L is on the "oil list" where we got confirmation of 2020 powertrains, including the 7.3L.

Furthermore, the 7.3L is codenamed "Godzilla". I highly doubt they would give that moniker to the entry-level, base engine.

I expect 2020 to be back to the status quo that existed from 1999 to 2010 (and even earlier, if one just counted the over 8500 GVWR trucks). Two gas engines (6.2/7.3) and a diesel.

23 minutes ago, RPF said:

I expect 2020 to be back to the status quo that existed from 1999 to 2010 (and even earlier, if one just counted the over 8500 GVWR trucks). Two gas engines (6.2/7.3) and a diesel.

As long as they make incremental improvement every 2-3 years that's all they really need 

59 minutes ago, RPF said:

That was a nice system they had back then. I just wonder if the 6.2 isn't a little too much for a base engine. Now that the 7.3 will be available, the 6.2 doesn't need to cover the entire gas engine spectrum. Seems like there could be some fuel efficiency / cost of ownership savings with a base engine more in the 5.5-5.8L displacement range. It's not worth developing a new engine, but it might be worth either a tall-deck, iron block coyote (they already have the parts and tooling in the corporate mod motor bin) or simply just cutting a little stroke or bore out of the 6.2L.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:34 PM, Steve557 said:

Everything I have read says 7.3 pushrod motor.

The changes look minimum to the exterior, supposed to be a 10 speed but wonder if that will be across the line or only certain motors/series. Planning on ordering a 19 soon to get the well tested 6R140.

I think that is a good plan. I bought an early build 2017 Raptor that had  noticeable trans issues from the get go that cost Ford a nice chunk of change and cost me time. They got it figured out and it’s been great since, but it was a pain in the A to deal with and leaves that little question mark in the back of my head about long term durability. All of my other Ford truck trannies have been great, and I suspect this will be too, but there were early teething problems that I would have like to have avoided. 

Best to let someone else sort out the bugs. 

14 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

That was a nice system they had back then. I just wonder if the 6.2 isn't a little too much for a base engine. Now that the 7.3 will be available, the 6.2 doesn't need to cover the entire gas engine spectrum. Seems like there could be some fuel efficiency / cost of ownership savings with a base engine more in the 5.5-5.8L displacement range. It's not worth developing a new engine, but it might be worth either a tall-deck, iron block coyote (they already have the parts and tooling in the corporate mod motor bin) or simply just cutting a little stroke or bore out of the 6.2L.

The BOSS engine program originally specified 3 displacements, 5.8L/6.2L/7.0L. The 5.8L variant of the existing mod motor architecture was an expensive tall deck/long stroke engine with PWTA cylinder bores for the GT500. It most likely won't be durable enough for the Super Duty. The current 5.0L also has this PWTA bore issue. So if they were going to do a smaller displacement engine for the SD the 5.8L BOSS would be the most likely candidate. But I don't think that they will bother, and they will just keep the entry level engine at 6.2L. The 10 speed transmission should help on the fuel economy front.