2018 Lincoln Navigator L Reserve 2500 Mile Review

Previous vehicle was a 2018 GMC Yukon Denali that was repurchased by GMC through Lemon Law. The requirements for my replacement vehicle were 3 row seating (although I almost purchased a 2018 Range Rover HSE out of lust). I also required a 2nd row bench that comfortably accommodates 3 car seats.
2018 Lincoln Navigator L Reserve / 2nd Row Bench / Technology Pkg / Trailer Pkg /

Appearance (10) – The 18 Lincoln Navigator is stunning from all angles, but the side profile is my favorite probably because of the wheels. If forced to choose my least favorite exterior feature, I’d choose the oversized lit Lincoln emblem on the front grill. Half the size would be ideal but I guess an over the top vehicle needed an over the top (oversized) Lincoln badge. The doors are massive and takes an extra effort to close. I would like to think the heavy well-padded doors contribute to the respectable side-impact crash scores…of course, I could be wrong.

Engine (10) – I achieve 15.8 mpg with mixed driving in the Normal drive setting. I’ve played around with Conserve and Excite driving modes but Normal is where I keep it. If you jump on it in the Normal driving mode, it’ll pin you to the driver’s seat. If you jump on it in Excite mode, it’ll pin the driver to the 2nd row seat! My favorite engine related feature is the manufactured engine sound that Lincoln pipe through the cabin. Whether idling or accelerating it sounds great! No, it doesn’t sound like a V8 but it isn’t a V8 so why fake it.

Interior (9.5) – Very well appointed and luxurious throughout with more than enough nooks, crannies, and storage cubbies for all my stuff. The Lincoln Perfect Position seats are overkill but a car this big and this pricey is also overkill so I digress. The thigh sMy least favorite interior feature is the chrome bezel around the infotainment screen and other areas throughout the front cabin. Another least favorite feature is the shiny piano black portions of the infotainment screen and gear selector that are fingerprint/smear magnets.

Technology (9.5)– The large, bright, HUD comes with a few surprises I’ve not seen in other vehicles I’ve owned with HUD (4). Lincoln’s HUD shows turn signal indicators AND blind spot indicators. The blind spot indicators only show in the HUD when the turn signals are engaged. WISHLIST – Although the speed limit is shown in the HUD, I wish there was an audible alert when the speed limit is exceeded by a customizable amount. FCA UConnect does this very well. WISHLIST – I wish the Navigator had traffic sign recognition. WISHLIST – When my Android phone is connected via USB, choosing between Android Maps and SYNC Navigation should be an option but it isn’t. When my phone is connected, Android is the ONLY option. I have to disconnect my phone to use SYNC navigation.

I don’t think the Blind Spot cameras cover enough of the road. There have been two near miss incidents involving motorcyclist while merging left. I’ve been using blind spot technology for over 10 years and this is my first experience not detecting (or seeing in the side mirrors) motorcyclist.

Audio (9) – The Revel Ultima 20 Speaker package is no slouch by any means, but I expected a lot more. Okay maybe not a lot more but while cross shopping vehicles I narrowed my choices down to 2018 Range Rover HSE and the 2018 Navigator. The Meridian stereo in the Range Rover is the best I’ve heard in any vehicle. It handles bass at elevated volume and the treble highs are crystal clear.

Prior to my purchase, I watched a review in which the reviewer said that upon starting the vehicle, the audio is sometimes powered off for reasons unknown. I’ve experienced this on numerous occasions. Hitting power is no biggie.

Heating/Cooling – No rating because I haven’t used the heat setting. As for cooling, I appreciate having three Auto modes. I have yet to figure out why when I start the vehicle, the cooled seats are sometimes enabled in the highest setting. WISHLIST – I wish for a higher fan speed in manual mode.

Overall satisfaction 10
Edited by 18ReserveLNavigator

WISHLIST – When my Android phone is connected via USB, choosing between Android Maps and SYNC Navigation should be an option but it isn’t. When my phone is connected, Android is the ONLY option. I have to disconnect my phone to use SYNC navigation.

FYI, you can disable Android Auto, and Sync Nav will be the default (only) option. Of course, none of the AA functions will work then either.

Previous vehicle was a 2018 GMC Yukon Denali that was repurchased by GMC through Lemon Law. The requirements for my replacement vehicle were 3 row seating (although I almost purchased a 2018 Range Rover HSE out of lust). I also required a 2nd row bench that comfortably accommodates 3 car seats.

2018 Lincoln Navigator L Reserve / 2nd Row Bench / Technology Pkg / Trailer Pkg /

Appearance (10) The 18 Lincoln Navigator is stunning from all angles, but the side profile is my favorite probably because of the wheels. If forced to choose my least favorite exterior feature, Id choose the oversized lit Lincoln emblem on the front grill. Half the size would be ideal but I guess an over the top vehicle needed an over the top (oversized) Lincoln badge. The doors are massive and takes an extra effort to close. I would like to think the heavy well-padded doors contribute to the respectable side-impact crash scoresof course, I could be wrong.

Engine (10) I achieve 15.8 mpg with mixed driving in the Normal drive setting. Ive played around with Conserve and Excite driving modes but Normal is where I keep it. If you jump on it in the Normal driving mode, itll pin you to the drivers seat. If you jump on it in Excite mode, itll pin the driver to the 2nd row seat! My favorite engine related feature is the manufactured engine sound that Lincoln pipe through the cabin. Whether idling or accelerating it sounds great! No, it doesnt sound like a V8 but it isnt a V8 so why fake it.

Interior (9.5) Very well appointed and luxurious throughout with more than enough nooks, crannies, and storage cubbies for all my stuff. The Lincoln Perfect Position seats are overkill but a car this big and this pricey is also overkill so I digress. The thigh sMy least favorite interior feature is the chrome bezel around the infotainment screen and other areas throughout the front cabin. Another least favorite feature is the shiny piano black portions of the infotainment screen and gear selector that are fingerprint/smear magnets.

Technology (9.5) The large, bright, HUD comes with a few surprises Ive not seen in other vehicles Ive owned with HUD (4). Lincolns HUD shows turn signal indicators AND blind spot indicators. The blind spot indicators only show in the HUD when the turn signals are engaged. WISHLIST Although the speed limit is shown in the HUD, I wish there was an audible alert when the speed limit is exceeded by a customizable amount. FCA UConnect does this very well. WISHLIST I wish the Navigator had traffic sign recognition. WISHLIST When my Android phone is connected via USB, choosing between Android Maps and SYNC Navigation should be an option but it isnt. When my phone is connected, Android is the ONLY option. I have to disconnect my phone to use SYNC navigation.

I dont think the Blind Spot cameras cover enough of the road. There have been two near miss incidents involving motorcyclist while merging left. Ive been using blind spot technology for over 10 years and this is my first experience not detecting (or seeing in the side mirrors) motorcyclist.

Audio (9) The Revel Ultima 20 Speaker package is no slouch by any means, but I expected a lot more. Okay maybe not a lot more but while cross shopping vehicles I narrowed my choices down to 2018 Range Rover HSE and the 2018 Navigator. The Meridian stereo in the Range Rover is the best Ive heard in any vehicle. It handles bass at elevated volume and the treble highs are crystal clear.

Prior to my purchase, I watched a review in which the reviewer said that upon starting the vehicle, the audio is sometimes powered off for reasons unknown. Ive experienced this on numerous occasions. Hitting power is no biggie.

Heating/Cooling No rating because I havent used the heat setting. As for cooling, I appreciate having three Auto modes. I have yet to figure out why when I start the vehicle, the cooled seats are sometimes enabled in the highest setting. WISHLIST I wish for a higher fan speed in manual mode.

Overall satisfaction 10

I have the same issue with the smudge/fingerprint issues and I keep a microfiber cloth in the middle console. Literally a few seconds with it and smudges are gone. It may smudge easily but it wipes down just as easy.

I don’t think the Blind Spot cameras cover enough of the road. There have been two near miss incidents involving motorcyclist while merging left. I’ve been using blind spot technology for over 10 years and this is my first experience not detecting (or seeing in the side mirrors) motorcyclist.

I've been driving with a special side-mirror adjustment style which eliminates all blind spots for over 15 years and I love it. It is even more advantageous on a big car like our 18 Navigator. It basically works by turning your side-mirrors out at a 20 degree angle. This eliminates the blind spots. (you can read more at the link below)

The primary downside of the no-blind-spot mirror setting, is that the mirrors no longer face directly backwards along the side of the car, so they are not as helpful when backing up. However, the Navigator's top-down parking cameras are better in most cases anyhow. When I rarely need to see the side of the car in the mirror for a tight parking maneuver, I just manually re-adjust it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I've been driving with a special side-mirror adjustment style which eliminates all blind spots for over 15 years and I love it. It is even more advantageous on a big car like our 18 Navigator. It basically works by turning your side-mirrors out at a 20 degree angle. This eliminates the blind spots. (you can read more at the link below)

The primary downside of the no-blind-spot mirror setting, is that the mirrors no longer face directly backwards along the side of the car, so they are not as helpful when backing up. However, the Navigator's top-down parking cameras are better in most cases anyhow. When I rarely need to see the side of the car in the mirror for a tight parking maneuver, I just manually re-adjust it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Exactly. I've been telling people for years there is no such thing as a blind spot - you just don't have your mirrors properly adjusted.

• Like 1

also how is it using the piano keys for selectiong Drive and reverse? I have a funny feeling paralel parking is going to be annoying have it switch back and forth with out having a gear shifter

You do have to look at it to shift. While I would prefer a system where you could shift by feel, after a short period it became a complete non-issue for us.

• Like 1

It's a non-issue. Takes a couple of weeks to get used to it.

The nice part is you can stop the vehicle and turn it off and it will automagically put itself into Park.

... And if it is has parking brake on and you put it into gear and touch the throttle it automatically disengages the parking brake.

There is a tactile difference on the shift keys but I have not found that useful and look at them as I select ... I do find it annoying when the keys are in shadow and the lights are not on so I can't easily make out witch key is what.

Edited by LHB

I have a 2015 x5 now. It was freaking annoying trying to get used that shifter.... Up is reverse down is drive... up for down shifiting on the tiptronic.... What about audio controls. I HATE the BMW has it on the right of the wheel since I use my left hand to steer.

I have a 2015 x5 now. It was freaking annoying trying to get used that shifter.... Up is reverse down is drive... up for down shifiting on the tiptronic.... What about audio controls. I HATE the BMW has it on the right of the wheel since I use my left hand to steer.

Audio volume and last and next are on the left hand side. Voice request for channel request to satellite radio works great and Siri integration with the sync button works great, I cant comment for Android.

You do have to look at it to shift. While I would prefer a system where you could shift by feel, after a short period it became a complete non-issue for us.

I just realized that P and N are smooth buttons and R and D are ridged. Maybe you can shift without looking.

The gear selector has 4 keys. The standard U.S. keyboard that you use on this forum has 61. I think you'll be okay. :)

My only complaint is with the pass-through 2nd row option I don't have a way to lock out 2nd row radio controls. I would like to complain that the seats are too narrow but the fact of the matter is I'm too fat so I'm working on that one.

• Like 1

I just realized that P and N are smooth buttons and R and D are ridged. Maybe you can shift without looking.

PP R~~~ N D~~~

Actually, the PARK key is nearly double the size (width & depth) the other 3 keys, then the Ridged REVERSE and DRIVE Keys are separated by the Smooth NEUTRAL Key.

OH, By The Way ... if you put the transmission in NEUTRAL it times out then goes to PARK ... when going through a car wash BE SURE to press NEUTRUAL twice to lock in NEUTRAL!!

PP R~~~ N D~~~

Actually, the PARK key is nearly double the size (width & depth) the other 3 keys, then the Ridged REVERSE and DRIVE Keys are separated by the Smooth NEUTRAL Key.

OH, By The Way ... if you put the transmission in NEUTRAL it times out then goes to PARK ... when going through a car wash BE SURE to press NEUTRUAL twice to lock in NEUTRAL!!

I did not know about the neutral timeout thing, thanks for the tip!

So you're saying the side mirrors do not tilt down anymore when you put the car into Reverse, right?