Hau Thai-Tang to speak at JP Morgan Auto Conference 2018 Aug. 8th

Could also be that is where VW and Ford are discussing collaboration on the commercial vehicle side as well.

VW has just lost $30 Billion due to Dieselgate, they no longer have the cash reserves

to develop it lesser profitable commercial vehicles, so like GM it's looking to outsource

future commercial needs.......Ranger, Transit Connect and Transit would all be under

consideration.

VW's loss will be Ford's gain.

Edited by jpd80

What business do you know that finds cost savings and then passes those directly to customers? Doesn’t happen.

battery suppliers, Computers, mobile phones, imported goods from China....

I'm not saying pass all of the savings onto customers but it would be nice

if Hackett and Ford included its customers in the journey. of cost savings.

(doesn't occur to Hackett to consider benefit to the customer)

In any case, I don't think Hackett's figures now add up in the new reality

of Tariffs and rising costs but more importantly, falling profits that now

undermine everything...we could see another re-write to this plan

before the end of the year...

Edited by jpd80

battery suppliers, Computers, mobile phones, imported goods from China....

Only in response to market pressure or to gain market share.

If Ford ends up spending more money than they anticipated do they just raise prices then? Of course not! It doesn't work that way.

Only in response to market pressure or to gain market share.

If Ford ends up spending more money than they anticipated do they just raise prices then? Of course not! It doesn't work that way.

I'll give you another example, Ford goes to grouped equipment packages and passes on savings to customers

over ordering those options individually. So there are examples where Ford has shown customers value,

all I'm saying is why not do the same with all these planned changes?

I'm sure that there has or will be examples of price rises due to increasing commodity costs...

Edited by jpd80

And those bundled “savings” are just marketing - they don’t actually save Ford any money.

And that's what I'm talking about...perception.

They do offer Ford savings because they can predict with more certainty how many they need and in the right proportions.

I can’t believe you’re serious. What is the point of implementing cost savings if you’re just going to turn around and give them to customers for free unless you’re gaining a market advantage?

Again, give the perception of V-A-L-U-E through savings in the whole package

now transfer that to a value perception in the design,development and construction

of all those new vehicles.....

This is not about saying to customers, your vehicle will cost less, more like this is all about

Ford saying that it's cost savings will allow customers more access to new technologies

hybrid and PHEV on all models.....

Edited by jpd80

You just said they should be passing the savings on to customers.

No, I said there was no mention of passing any of those savings onto the customers,

and as i said, you can pass on savings by making electrification more accessible.

In a Mulally era, he would be including the customer and showing what's in it for them,

"providing affordable technology to the masses" was one of his key statements.

I think we're both right on this, you don't want all the savings leaking away to customers

but you want to tell and show customers what's in it for them ......

Edited by jpd80

But they will be able to pass savings on to consumers - if that's what the market dictates. It gives them more options and allows them to invest more in new businesses.

I predict the market will dictate the need for these new future vehicles SUV/CUV types to have BIG rebates to get them out of the dealerships. The market will be flooded with these high riders both in the used and new stock pile.

So they will be forced to pass those savings on to consumers no doubt about it.

Indicators are already showing Fords high riders are losing steam when it is supposed to be hay making time for high riders.

Edited by MKII

Still, the sales being achieved by those aged products against much newer competition is impressive

and a strong foundation for those new products. Explorer and Escape might be on their last legs but

they still get the job done more than adequately and they're still good rides too..

Ford's strength has been bring affordable technology to market, I don't see that changing in the future.

They may in fact, be on the cusp of something really big with the planned widespread roll out of hybrids

Edited by jpd80