Hau Thai-Tang to speak at JP Morgan Auto Conference 2018 Aug. 8th

As per the Ford release:

Ford’s presentation will take place from 12:30 p.m. to 1:05 p.m. EDT at J.P. Morgan’s office in New York City, 383 Madison Ave.,

and can be accessed on Aug. 8 at shareholder.ford.com or by clicking on this link.

Probably enough time to paint a picture of how the main architectures will work by replacing designated platforms,

probably rolling into the money being invested into Trucks and Utilities how Ford gets better bang for bucks by

scales of economy before products are even built.

If he does a good enough job on pivoting from that to the silhouettes and the objectives behind the whole strategy,

he might turn this around for Ford because IMHO, where Hackett is a terrible communicator Hau Thai Tang more

than makes up for this...I'm willing to keep an open mind on this as I think they have the absolute best point man

on this presentation.

( Iwouldn't be surprised if Adam Jonas hasn't already been let "under the tent" to avoid a lot of challenging questions)

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Confirms the 5 modular architecture strategy: C2, CD6, F-series, Transit, and BEV

Confirms shifts to utilities: going from 40% of global volume to 60% by 2023.

Confirms the wholesale abandonment of low end cars and to rely on JV partners to fill the gap - so this means Mahindra and Zotye will be handed the task of developing small cars. Implication for South America?

Confirms the 5 modular architecture strategy: C2, CD6, F-series, Transit, and BEV

Confirms shifts to utilities: going from 40% of global volume to 60% by 2023.

Confirms the wholesale abandonment of low end cars and to rely on JV partners to fill the gap - so this means Mahindra and Zotye will be handed the task of developing small cars. Implication for South America?

Do you interpret the "* BEV capable" note on the non-BEV platforms to indicate hybrid capability? It doesn't make sense that each platform would truly be "BEV capable" as indicated in the presentation.

Here's a link to what he will present: https://s22.q4cdn.com/857684434/files/doc_presentations/2018/08/JP-Morgan-Presentation-Ford-Motor-Company-FINAL-IR-SITE-Compressed.pdf

I like the explanation of the move from 'platforms' to 'modules' - seems like it should resonate with this audience.

All it's really going to do is group all the engineering projects that should have been grouped in the past.

I still say that Hackett's budgeting is in tatters after poor results in Q2, and forecasts for

the rest of the year. That's why Ford will probably keep away form discussing financial

projections in relation to where funding will come from in the future and instead talk

about coming product and covering more customers with different vehicles...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Do you interpret the "* BEV capable" note on the non-BEV platforms to indicate hybrid capability? It doesn't make sense that each platform would truly be "BEV capable" as indicated in the presentation.

I think it just means they are all designed with battery placement in mind so they can be converted to full long range BEV from hybrid or PHEV if the market condition warrants it, especially in places like China where range is not as much of a concern but lower purchase price is very important.

The fancy dedicated BEV platform (MACH 1) will initially be a premium product with long range to meet demands in markets like US that has range obsession but almost no regard to purchase price (because everyone leases).

Hau Thai Tang also reveal more details about "baby bronco" which looks like will go on sale in 2019 (as 2020 model).

Confirmed that it is Focus-based and "premium priced". I think it just means that Ford thinks it will be able to sell it for more than Focus.

The new model, which will share parts with the Focus and Escape, will feature “offroad positioning and imagery” and will carry a premium price, according to Hau Thai-Tang, executive vice president of product development and purchasing.

~~~

Unlike the 2020 Bronco, which will use a trucklike body-on-frame architecture, the “baby Bronco” will be more carlike since it will share its underpinnings with the Focus and Escape.

Article also mentions Focus Active and how it will "share common parts" with "baby bronco". I'm guessing that means powertrain.

Ford has said it plans to phase out the Focus sedan and hatchback in North America because of declining demand for conventional passenger cars.

But it expects to introduce a wagon-like variant of the redesigned compact, called Focus Active, with modest crossover-like styling cues reminiscent of the Subaru Outback, the source said, adding that the Focus Active will share common parts with the small offroader.

Interesting note, the source that spoke with the reporter claims US market will get Focus Active wagon, not Focus Active hatch. I'm not buying stock in that until I see more collaborating evidence (like Focus Active wagon test vehicles in the US).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ford-executive/ford-executive-says-baby-offroader-in-product-pipeline-idUSKBN1KT2JS

• Like 1

attachicon.gif 8-8-2018 2-57-48 PM.jpg

Guess the Ford products under the covers!

First one is the Mustang :)

Page 14 of the pdf from where you got that pic shows a graph of the five platforms and it has under ICE FWD/AWD, a hybrid like sedan ahead of the Focus Active making it a "mid" priced car...

It's also on page 4. This might represent the whitespace car.

Edited by atomcat68

Hmnn..........Is this the kiss of death for commercial vehicles above class 3? They make all kinds of speeches about being a player in "commercial vehicles" but this to me sounds like they have a new definition............

Moving forward, each of the automaker's vehicles will be on one of five platforms: rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive body-on-frame; front-wheel-drive/awd unibody; commercial van unibody; rwd/awd unibody; and a unibody platform for battery-electric vehicles.

Ford seeks to save about $7 billion in engineering and product-development costs while reducing by 20 percent the amount of time it takes to bring a vehicle from the sketch board to the showroom.

Hate to think what this 7 billion and 20% time cut will do to quality and the recall history. Guess it was easy when you were redesigning desk drawer slides.

Hau Thai Tang also reveal more details about "baby bronco" which looks like will go on sale in 2019 (as 2020 model).

Confirmed that it is Focus-based and "premium priced". I think it just means that Ford thinks it will be able to sell it for more than Focus.

Thats why I'm assuming the Ecosport sticks around-it will be value leader while the Baby Bronco/Maverick will list closer to the 20K mark then the Ecosport. The Ecosport can be a good product once its updated.

Hmnn..........Is this the kiss of death for commercial vehicles above class 3? They make all kinds of speeches about being a player in "commercial vehicles" but this to me sounds like they have a new definition............

Moving forward, each of the automaker's vehicles will be on one of five platforms: rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive body-on-frame; front-wheel-drive/awd unibody; commercial van unibody; rwd/awd unibody; and a unibody platform for battery-electric vehicles.

Ford seeks to save about $7 billion in engineering and product-development costs while reducing by 20 percent the amount of time it takes to bring a vehicle from the sketch board to the showroom.

Hate to think what this 7 billion and 20% time cut will do to quality and the recall history. Guess it was easy when you were redesigning desk drawer slides.

How do you interpret that? If anything it means that the F-450 and above will share more with the F-150 like harnesses and hardware like seats

Killing Fusion probably saved $1B by itself. A lot of it will come from shared modules and not having to design and redesign components on different vehicles. That kind of cost cutting will actually improve quality as opposed to just budget reductions.

They already share a lot of power train and electrical systems.

I think this is just arranging engineering modules under larger project cost centers

but isn't it strange that Ford almost brags about how much money it will save

without ever thinking of passing some of those savings onto buyers or

even mentioning the words, best in class or quality....

And, I wonder how many of those alleged savings were counted on vehicles and resources

that Ford was never going to do or use in any case....we only have their word on it that

these cost estimates are accurate and that budgeting is sound.- if sales and profits stay

weak, all of this may be out the window, especially if a tariff war on vehicles

and steel / aluminum continues...

This whole plan hinges on the continuing sales and profits of F Series, anything that impacts

upon that and reduces Ford's income will have a huge ripple effect on all their plans...

(As it always does but even more so with the huge amounts being diverted)

Edited by jpd80

The 5 platforms are for light duty vehicles. Medium duty and heavy duty (Ford Otosan and JMC) are obviously excluded.

Ford is not going to quit the medium duty business in the US.

Agree-medium and HD excluded, no mention-that is my point- you would think while he was highlighting key platforms, and assuming they want to be recognized as the big dog in commercial, would you not think this would deserve mention??

Hope you are correct but the only thing I see are declining market share.

No visible activity on Ford's part while GM revives class 4, 5 and 6 with the Navistar JV trucks and renews efforts with Chevy badged Isuzus.

Agree-medium and HD excluded, no mention-that is my point- you would think while he was highlighting key platforms, and assuming they want to be recognized as the big dog in commercial, would you not think this would deserve mention??

Because even if Ford is planning on doing something in that market segment, it's a relatively minor piece of the business. It's not big enough to materially affect Ford's bottom line, so it's not going to be mentioned in a venue like this.