2017 F450 Platinum / CP4 pump failure /

Long time forum member but rarely post. Have had great experiences with my 2011, 2015, and 2017 F450s with zero issues until now.

I am hoping, no begging for some guidance and a little love from Ford customer service.

I am from TN and 2 days ago whil crossing Wyoming with a 44ft 5th wheel RV in tow got a Reduced power mode message and engine died before I could even get stopped. Got towed back to Laramie WY where local dealer White University Ford could look at it. Dealership has been great, truly 5 star service for a stranger passing through.

Long story short, as I feared my CP4 high pressure fuel pump is bad with metal shavings showing up. Good news is zero sign of contamination no rust on anything. Still need the full fuel contamination kit which alon is nearly $2800 plus other parts bringing that to $3500 ish.

Although the pickup is only 16 months old it is out of standard factory warranty as I travel a lot being retired.

So I'm sitting 2000 miles from home praying to get back on the road as soon as possible. If anyone can point me in the right direction to speak with someone at FORD who may consider being able to help relieve the pain of a likely $7000 repair bill I would be very grateful.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Sincerely,

Robert

Sorry to hear that, but you're not going to like the answer. There is most likely nothing Ford will do in this case on their own, so calling them probably won't help at all.

What you want is called an AWA or after warranty adjustment which has to be initiated by the dealer and the dealer is usually required to kick in part of the cost. Therefore this would have to come from your selling dealer in most cases. That dealer has to submit the request and work with Ford. It's unlikely and unreasonable to expect the Wyoming dealer to do that for you.

What I would do is contact your selling dealer immediately and see if they are willing to do an AWA of some kind. If so you can probably get it fixed and the selling dealer will work it out with the Wyoming dealer if that's possible.

Otherwise you'd have to get it fixed on your own and follow up with them on a partial reimbursement later.

If you look at this from Ford's viewpoint - they offer an extended warranty to cover this type of failure but you have to purchase it before the factory b2b warranty expires. Instead of spending the money for the warranty - which may have cost $2500-$3000 on a F-450 - you chose to gamble. So it's not really fair to say Ford should cover it for free if you declined to purchase the warranty coverage when it was available. That's not to say you shouldn't purse the AWA in this case, just that you shouldn't hold it against Ford if they don't do an AWA.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply and information. I agree with everything you said. I would never expect a no cost resolution. And fact is even if I had bought the 200k miles extended warranty I am even beyond that. I'm not one to expect anything but asking never hurts. After nearly a million miles in 3 Super Duty this is my first issue so no complaints from me.

Holy smokes, you are already over 200k miles on a 2017?! You sure do travel a lot! I have personally had success with the AWA, but as aKirby mentioned, that usually comes from the dealer you have a relationship with. I certainly would give it a shot and see what you can work out. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

Wow! You've got over 200k miles on a 2017? You DO travel a lot....

I seriously doubt you will get an AWA with that many miles, but you never know. Best of luck. Oh, and I'd love to see some pics of that truck if you've got some. :)

EDIT: I didn't copy tbone's post, I was just slower typing than him. :)

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 3

200K????? You just said you were out of warranty - you didn’t say you were in another galaxy.

I don’t see why you would even expect Ford to cover something like that with that kind of mileage.

That’s a cross country drive every other week or so.

• Like 3

200K????? You just said you were out of warranty - you didn’t say you were in another galaxy.

I don’t see why you would even expect Ford to cover something like that with that kind of mileage.

That’s a cross country drive every other week or so.

LOL, I have no expectations. But it never hurts to ask.

I have reached out to my local dealer whom I purchased the truck from, they have performed all preventative maintenance from day one, typically about $500 per month on average. I figured never hurts to ask, and I am not complaining no matter the outcome.

I see far too many keyboard warriors get on forums with their 1st world problems griping about their ice cream is too cold and didn't get the color of sprinkles they wanted on it.

I consider myself lucky to be able to afford nice trucks like these every 3 years or so. Many aren't that fortunate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics...the F450 is truly a beast! As is the RV behind it!

I'm just amazed that someone can travel that much and not be delivering RV's. That's just crazy! How do you get a chance to see anything on your travels? And how does your RV handle all those miles?

• Like 1

Heads Carolina's, trails California some where greener or somewhere warmer.

Thats a great looking combo you have there.

I think it would be good business for Ford to put some money towards the repair considering how often you are buying trucks. I think that's good business especially considering their margins on trucks of that nature.

Your truck certainly gets worked being under a near constant load like that. Hopefully they get you back on the road soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics...the F450 is truly a beast! As is the RV behind it!

I'm just amazed that someone can travel that much and not be delivering RV's. That's just crazy! How do you get a chance to see anything on your travels? And how does your RV handle all those miles?

Agreed... great looking truck and RV!

Just thought I would follow up since everyone was so helpful with information.

I called my dealership's Service Manager where I purchased the F450 and have had all maintenance completed. Explaining my situation and asked about the CLP & LVT score I had. He looked up my record say yes you have been in here every month and maintenance record is great. Says my LTV score with FORD was 98 out of a 99 possible. I asked him about getting any assistance and he said he was limited by the 160K miles cutoff as shown in the CLP document and couldn't help me with 227K miles even though it was only 16 months old. He recommended I call FORD directly and ask for consideration and help.

I then called Ford Customer service number went through all the info and details, the lady confirmed my LTV score was98 and thanked me for being a loyal customer. I asked if they was anything Ford would consider to help reduce the cost of the $7600 repair. After being on hold while she contacted repairing dealership she came back and said there is nothing they could do. I asked if she would escalate this request for further consideration by a manager and she politely said no it won't help.

So that's where I sit, I usually have excellent results being patient and polite but in this case it didn't help.

Looks like parts are coming in today and tomorrow, hopefully be back on way home by Wednesday afternoon. Thanks again everyone who posted information about my questions.

• Like 1

At least the new "Fuel Contamination Kit" which is the pump, rails, and injectors comes with a 2 year warranty, so I should be good to go for the remaining ownership period I will use the truck. I typically sell mine outright and buy new every 3 years any. I really can't and haven't complained.

At least the new "Fuel Contamination Kit" which is the pump, rails, and injectors comes with a 2 year warranty, so I should be good to go for the remaining ownership period I will use the truck. I typically sell mine outright and buy new every 3 years any. I really can't and haven't complained.

Hey, you tried instead of coming to the internet just to bitch about it, even though they couldnt help.

At least you understand the concept of out of warranty unlike most people that have a problem at a high mileage who bitch and moan that quote: ford left me high and dry.

Good luck with it, hopefully your good luck continues and thats your last major issue with the truck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 years and unlimited miles lol.. thats better then factory. Can you imagine having 450,000 miles and getting warranty coverage.. hahaha

Edited by blwnsmoke

2 years and unlimited miles lol.. thats better then factory. Can you imagine having 450,000 miles and getting warranty coverage.. hahaha

That's what I was thinking, but it says 2 year warranty on this kit when installed by dealership, no mention of miles. I may very well put it to the test. Will likely have 500k miles by the time the pickup is 3yrs old. ;)

That's what I was thinking, but it says 2 year warranty on this kit when installed by dealership, no mention of miles. I may very well put it to the test. Will likely have 500k miles by the time the pickup is 3yrs old. ;)

Do you ever unhook the fifth wheel? Sheesh that's a lot of miles!

Wow....you would think Ford would offer to buy your truck back to study it....that is a testament to the durability of the F-Series for sure.