Ford Performance to Unveil 2019 NASCAR Cup Series Mustang Live

blksn8k2

Have a reminder set in my phone. This should be interesting.

I feel like NASCAR needs this new Mustang as much as Ford needs to promote it.

There is even a new Toyota coupe coming next year.

Hope this is the beginning of a bunch of exciting rollouts for the fall and winter of 18/19.

Have a reminder set in my phone. This should be interesting.

I feel like NASCAR needs this new Mustang as much as Ford needs to promote it.

There is even a new Toyota coupe coming next year.

Hope this is the beginning of a bunch of exciting rollouts for the fall and winter of 18/19.

Is Toyota talking about a related production coupe of some kind?

There has been a lot of speculation that Ford will suffer the same fate next year with the Mustang as Chevrolet did this year with the new Camaro body. I think that is not as likely to happen as people think.

First of all, Chevy was surprisingly blind-sided by the new low downforce rules package for 2018. The Camaro was supposedly designed to fit the old rules package. Unless NASCAR makes some major body changes for 2019, Ford should have designed the Mustang to best fit the current rules package.

The other X factor is SHR. After Hendrick (and Chevy) lost SHR as a client/partner at the end of 2015 their fortunes have gone steadily downhill. It also doesn't help that most of their drivers are inexperienced. Hendrick has been the best Chevy team for years and when they falter so does Chevy. If not for SHR even more races would have probably gone to Toyota this year as Penske has not really been much of a threat and Roush is even worse than Hendrick.

What is sad is that Toyota really only has five cars in Cup. I suppose that could be seen as an advantage in that their resources are not spread as thin as they are with the other two makes. However, the odds say that the more cars you have on the track your chances of winning should be better. Unfortunately, the only place that seems to actually work is at the demo-derby tracks.

• 1 month later...