Perp Park Assist should work into an open garage door

GunnerD

Hey yall! I ended up taking home a loaded 2018 Limited Max in White Platinum. Its awesome. I love it. Been playing with it, learning how to operate everything so I can teach my wife when she and the kids get back in town this weekend. Itll be her daily driver.

One thing though... Shes not going to like parking it in the garage. Shell have to go in and out of an oversized single garage door (10 by 8.) Its very doable for me... The parking stall was designed to accommodate a supersized vehicle like this... But I know shes gonna hate it.

Yesterday evening I was practicing the automated park assist in the perpendicular mode in the Lowes parking lot. Works as advertised. Nifty... so I drive the Expy home and tried to make it park itself in the garage using perp park assist. Honestly I wasnt expecting it to work, and I was right. ( It just never identifies the open garage entrance as a potential parking space. ) Which sucks because it would be a game changer for her. And I know, from a programming and tech perspective, that parking in a garage stall shouldnt be any tougher than parking in a parking lot space.

So Ford, if youre listening, please make automated garage parking happen! Thank you!

Great idea Gunner, you should suggest it to Ford. Perhaps to make it work there are stickers that could be put on the garage floor or something, similar to how trailer backup assist works by putting the stickers on the trailer.

I know others are thinking this so I'm going to say it. Seriously? Can't park in a 10 foot wide space? Shouldn't have a license to drive. Flame away!

I know. Sigh... She had trouble with a Honda Odyssey. Now its a freaking Ford Expedition Max. Much Lols. For whats worth, its not as if its a straight shot up the driveway. Garage is on the side of the lot. A 90 degree turn is required from the driveway into the open stall. I know, still... Thus my disappointment with park assist not recognizing the garage space. It would be so cool if the park assist could send her into that space in REVERSE like it did in the Lowes parking lot.

So Im hanging tennis balls from the garage ceiling to help her line everything up. Thinking about a 12x12 inch mirror on the wall right where her face should be if shes lined up correctly. Its gonna be alright, I keep telling myself. Lol

The problem is not so much her getting into the garage. Its getting out. If shes cattywampus going in, backing out becomes sort of sketchy, so Im trying to provide guides to help her be perfectly centered and square, so that backing out hardly requires moving the wheel.

The problem is not so much her getting into the garage. Its getting out. If shes cattywampus going in, backing out becomes sort of sketchy, so Im trying to provide guides to help her be perfectly centered and square, so that backing out hardly requires moving the wheel.

I hear ya. Didn't mean to be such an a**. It can be tricky to get in and out of garages especially with such a big vehicle. Would painting lines like akirby suggested even work? You maybe able to try it with white chalk if the system will recognize it.

Does it use the parking space lines? If so you might try painting them in your garage........

Don't they have front parking sensors? The Explorer I had put the illustration of a car on the NAV screen and showed with green, yellow or red lines how close I was to the sides or front. Same thing backing out. I really miss that feature.

• Like 1