Tesla getting desperate, asks suppliers for a refund

fuzzymoomoo

I just don't get what investors see in Tesla.

It's the typical utopian mindset that believes what people say and refuses to see clear evidence to the contrary because it matches their vision to save the planet or do something completely different (even if the reason nobody else is doing it is because it isn't needed or there is no business case).

It's hard not to love the products however, and it's hard to deny its influence.

That's true! The technical engineering behind them is top notch! However, it's the execution and business plan that I have a huge problem with. There have been a lot of really good cars that have failed because of the business side, and Tesla seems to be the next in line.

Until Tesla fails it's hard to describe them as a failure, it's perpetually struggling and I've long doubted the Model 3 production strategy based entirely on the volume created by a pre-order frenzy. But this wouldn't be the first company under heavy scrutiny that managed to survive a tumultuous period. All of Detroit has been through FAR worse so I'm inclined to sit back and let them work it out...or not. I've learned to hold my tongue on these things and let the geniuses work it out before passing judgement. I will say that I don't find Musk a sympathetic figure but I respect what he's accomplished. A new American car company admired and coveted around the world is a pretty huge achievement and it just reminds me that nothing is impossible.

Edited by Assimilator

It is mostly institutional investors at this point they don't care about the company they just care about trading the stock, make money up and down. I've been getting bombarded with emails that I can order a Model 3 with as little as a 1 month wait time. Musk knows he must produce, if the stock goes under $218 it is going to get really ugly for Musk and Tesla as he could (and probably would) face a margin call for the hundreds of millions of dollars he has taken loans against his Tesla shares. Those shares get liquidated and the stock will plummet and that will feed on itself. Also have to wonder at that point as he would own significantly fewer shares in the company if he just walks away.

He also could be pulling an Eddie Lambert. Getting hundreds of millions if not billions out of a company, walks away even more rich than when he started and it all legal and the company crumbles.