Ford's 3rd Truck / Unibody Truck [MERGED]

Do you have sources for this? I ask because jpd80 says otherwise which I have quoted in this post. Seems illogical to have Bronco come out on the modified T6 US Ranger only to change it to NG Ranger after 2023. Not doubting you but confused is all. I have seen you post some insider info such as the Lincolns so am not doubting you at all but curious as to the sources of your info.

We're both right, Next Gen T6 will be a heavy evolution (not clean sheet design) and lots of things

will be significantly changed - powertrains, electrical, HVAC, provision for electrification (Hybrid) ...the list goes on...

Where the current Ranger is a more I-4 centric truck, the next Gen should be very much a V6

oreiented vehicle - at least as far as North America is concerned.

Edited by jpd80

I'm not sure how Bronco is going to be ready by 2020 but Ford is not showing it off internally yet and we don't have mules or prototypes yet unless the Everest are the mules. I suspect we won't see it in production until the 2020CY as a 2021MY like the Mach1 but I hope it's a little shorter than that. I think the MAP folks might know the schedule for production a bit better. I don't know anybody who has actually seen it besides the draped version but everybody has seen Explorer, Escape, Maverick, Mach1. Lincoln has been showing stuff off to it's people as well, I have only seen the Corsair and Production Aviator (think I prefer Explorer ST). Maverick is in mule state right now, it's actually built from the new global Fiesta bodies which is a little confusing if it's a C-platform..but it does have characteristics of the C-Platfrom like 5-lug wheels and a wider/longer track.

Corsair is really sharp, very Germanic and Mercedes-like with the arching belt-line that flattens toward the back instead of kicking up. The back looks like an Audi Q7, wider and lower than before but with Lincolns softer lines. The taillights are in the correct orientation this time (like Aviator and Navigator) but still floating in the middle of the hatch instead of terminating at the edges like the Audi. Aviator might be a little too...simple. Like Continental and Navigator it will be stunning in full trim but maybe not the most alluring piece of design by itself. I think Corsair looks great no matter what, they were a little more clever I think.

So if you have seen the maverick, can you describe what it looks like? Does it look like the drawing that came out? Will it be escape sized or smaller or larger? Id ideally like to get the bronco but I have a feeling it will be priced more than what I want to spend. I dont want to get a ranger if a completely new one is coming out in just a few years, which leaves the maverick.

So if you have seen the maverick, can you describe what it looks like? Does it look like the drawing that came out? Will it be escape sized or smaller or larger? Id ideally like to get the bronco but I have a feeling it will be priced more than what I want to spend. I dont want to get a ranger if a completely new one is coming out in just a few years, which leaves the maverick.

The New Escape is a little bigger than the current one, and the Baby Bronco/Maverick is going to be slightly smaller than the current Escape, but packaged better so the back seat isnt quite as cramped.
  • Like 1

Ford has been hedging its messaging on the Bronco, specifically at the uncovered event they said Bronco is not a Wrangler but more of a dessert runner, it's not meant for extreme off-roading. Ford wants us to think of it more as a performance vehicle like a Raptor. Bronco will be a better daily driver, but comparing it to Wrangler might cause disappointment. It certainly doesn't have the exotic dimensions of the purpose built wheelbase and suspension system of the Wrangler but it will certainly be able to do what a Ranger and Everest can do today which is more than any other Ford utility.

I think the trick for Bronco will be to offer something stylish and versatile like the Wrangler while doing it's own thing well and trying to be as authentic and original as the Wrangler. It's a tough task and one we haven't seen Ford tackle from scratch like this in my lifetime! So yeah, it's a big one.

The NG Ranger is 2023 and Bronco is still on the T6 they modified for the US Ranger (and for Bronco).

IMO, this approach will work for the vast majority of people that will actually buy the thing - Wranglers are EVERYWHERE here in south Florida, but there's no hills, mountains, rocks, etc. to go climbing over - if they can offer something more civilized while still having good offroading capabilities (and Raptor shows they can), I think it'll be a VERY successful product. I'm really excited for it.

If the Bronco is just going to be a copy of the Wrangler-it’s going to be a giant failure.

There is a different tack Ford can take with it that will appeal to other buyers.

I think it'd still do well, but not as well as it could do. But yeah, I agree - it needs to have its own "personality."

Anyway... back to the original topic...

P758 is probably a unibody pickup based on the C-platform - so imagine a Transit Connect pickup if you will. This is something that is very popular in South America and every major car company in the market sells one. Building in Mexico gives Ford the option to sell it in North America and Europe.

CX758 if it exists is probably a low cost C-utility to be shared with P758 and aimed at South America and other developing markets. Imagine Ford version of Dacia Duster (vs. more expensive Renault Koleos or Nissan Rogue) or VW Tharu (vs. more expensive VW Tiguan).

CX430 is "baby Bronco" and the outline of this vehicle is more clear... it will be a premium product intended for mature market to slot between Escape and EcoSport. Similar to Jeep Compass, Renault Kadjar, Nissan Qashqai, VW T-Roc etc.

CX430 is "baby Bronco" and the outline of this vehicle is more clear... it will be a premium product intended for mature market to slot between Escape and EcoSport. Similar to Jeep Compass, Renault Kadjar, Nissan Qashqai, VW T-Roc etc.

The long awaited and much discussed "short C"........

We're both right, Next Gen T6 will be a heavy evolution (not clean sheet design) and lots of things

will be significantly changed - powertrains, electrical, HVAC, provision for electrification (Hybrid) ...the list goes on...

Where the current Ranger is a more I-4 centric truck, the next Gen should be very much a V6

oreiented vehicle - at least as far as North America is concerned.

I figured the next generation T6 would be evolutionary with changes like you mentioned which would allow V6 engines and Hybrids. But you had confirmed my question that Bronco would be on the next generation T6 while Assimilator had said that the new Bronco would be on the revised T6 coming for the American Ranger next year. That was what confused me.

Anyway... back to the original topic...

P758 is probably a unibody pickup based on the C-platform - so imagine a Transit Connect pickup if you will. This is something that is very popular in South America and every major car company in the market sells one. Building in Mexico gives Ford the option to sell it in North America and Europe.

CX758 if it exists is probably a low cost C-utility to be shared with P758 and aimed at South America and other developing markets. Imagine Ford version of Dacia Duster (vs. more expensive Renault Koleos or Nissan Rogue) or VW Tharu (vs. more expensive VW Tiguan).

I'm wondering if Ford is intending for now to only sell the P758 pickup in South America as it's popular there. Makes sense to build in Mexico to sell there and South America and would already have production site in place in case they decide to sell in North America. That way if sales don't meet their goals, they can just pull out sales of NA and continue selling in SA and Mexico.

CX758 would be built in Mexico for SA sales which would make sense to build in Mexico alongside P758. CX430 'Baby Bronco' is what we had been talking about here for quite a while now as 'Short C' as akirby said. Looking forward to seeing what Ford has planned for these three as well as the reveal of them.

Keep in mind that South America (Brazil and Argentina) limit vehicles coming from Mexico.

A compact truck may be on the cards but probably more a companion product to TC Van

Not a big seller on its own but when combined with TC Van it all makes sense.

Edited by jpd80

Keep in mind that South America (Brazil and Argentina) limit vehicles coming from Mexico.

A compact truck may be on the cards but probably more a companion product to TC Van

Not a big seller on its own but when combined with TC Van it all makes sense.

Was not aware of Brazil and Argentina's limitations of Mexico. Does makes sense to sell the pickup combined with van. Likely a big hit for the commercial markets here in US.

• Like 1

Somebody asked what the Maverick looked like. It's very similar to the sketch but the version I saw had a Ford oval in the grille. It's a stout looking vehicle, bulging fender and smooth tucked-in door panels and some black cladding. The rear/lights must be a hint at was the Bronco will look like because it's quite different from any Ford I've seen today. Lots of chunky textures going on similar to a Renegade, the taillights are geometric, somewhat similar to the Explorer with a tapered trapezoid shape framing the tailgate. Its a little more sophisticated than Renegade, doesn't quite have that huge rugged personality. I like the greenhouse details with flush wrap around glass. It doesn't look cheap and basic, looks like something that could be made sporty or rugged. I like the boxier dimensions, does a better jog hiding it's FWD proportions than the long nose on the Escape. It might be a little boring depending on how they trim it out. I'm not a fan of the more rugged interior, I think that's where it becomes obvious that this car has a very different personality compared to the NG Escape. I think it'll be a hit either way, my impression is that it sits below Escape in size and price.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

We're about to see C sized vehicle "sliver sales" coming to the fore, different top hats and wheel bases

all add up to vehicles wit completely different character.....this could go very well for Ford.

The pick up intrigues me, it may not be the low cosst commercial special some are imagining.

Give it some rugged Maverick like styling and it should make an impact and sell well enough

even with a premium price.

• Like 1

Ford has had a hard time growing the compact utility customer so I think the new Escape and Maverick will do a pretty good job finally growing that business to replace sedans. It's also likely why they are not planning to expand Escape production signficantly because Maverick will almost certainly absorb more customers along with EcoSport (if it stays). Ford utilities are also weak in Europe so a new Kuga and Maverick has to do something good.

I also think Ford will be facing increased price pressure in the compact utility space which also happened in midsize sedans, there are so many of them that they will have to squeeze cost out of those products while increasing value to the customers and two products will help to grow customer diversity while preserving profitability.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1