Focus Transmission Question

Probably should post on Focus thread but looking for quick info. I have a friend who is looking for a used car for his college age daughter. Guy is a LEO and is somewhat partial to Fords and just called me about a used Focus. I've never followed the Focus transmission issue but am aware there is plenty of controversy surrounding the transmission.

Bottom line is there only one transmission used in Focus and is there any year when you are relatively safe?? My first thought is to tell him to look for a Fusion.

His wife drives a Pilot so I can imagine what she is telling him.

Appreciate any input.

If you must get a Focus, get one either pre-2012 or if you want a newer model, 2015 or later. After the 2015 refresh the transmission issues were a lot less common.

When looking for a used one, check the service record. Any that has had the clutches and/or TCM replaced is almost certain to have issues again.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

The transmission issues are *somewhat* less common on the later ones. But I still wouldn't recommend it. TCMs still fail and clutches still shudder. With 3 pedals and the Focus is actually a really decent car.

Overall reliability wise, the 08-11 are the best.

I have two Fiestas with powershift transmission, a 2011 and a 2017. I had the transmission seal replaced and new clutch pack in the 2011 last December at 116k miles. I bought the 2017 in February, mainly because I got a great deal.

Before buying and after learning the 100,000 mile extended warranty no longer applied, I did some research. It is true that after the mid-cycle refresh the warranty return rates were much better, so I would at least avoid pre refresh models. This is the case for the Fiesta, I assume the same would hold true for Focus.

I don't know the extent of the changes after the refresh, but the new Fiesta tranny seems much improved. It is quieter, and has never gotten confused, especially during low speed driving maneuvers (I often kept the old one in L while in parking lots or stop and go traffic). That said, a DCT does have a different feel to it. I personally like it, especially after driving some rubber band CVT equipped cars. Others may disagree.

Also, I agree with fuzzymoomoo, check the service records. My worst experience with this transmission is the fact the service department has a hard time repairing these. It took two visits to and several weeks to get my 2011 right, and they charged me for a motor mount that probably was not faulty.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

This is probably a little melodramatic but I don't think there is any vehicle that should be red-flagged more emphatically than any Ford equipped with the DCT. Unless you get it free, absolutely avoid, you are guaranteed to have premature failures. The pre 2012 Focus is far from a Honda or Toyota but the drivetrain will outlive the usefulness of the car.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Bottom line is there only one transmission used in Focus and is there any year when you are relatively safe??

Transmissions used in Mk III Ford Focus in USA, Canada, & Mexico.

• 5-speed manual MTX75, 2.0L non-turbo engine. Safe.
  • 6-speed manual B6, 1.0L turbo engine. Safe.
  • 6-speed manual MMT6, 2.0L turbo engine. Safe.
  • 6-speed automatic 6F15, 1.0L turbo engine. Safe.
  • 6-speed automatic DCT DPS6, 2.0L non-turbo engine. Avoid!!
  • Like 2

There is always a dependability divide between the innovative products and the boring products, rarely do they seem to meet. Honda seems to handle this best, or has historically...at least in the few segments they compete in. Ford Focus in particular has been all over the spectrum mostly because it starts critically acclaimed but troubled and ends very expired but largely fixed.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Guys- thx for all the responses . to summarize looks like pre 2012 has best rep. And TT I too had the thought about the Fusion as well

Oh and R'817- my son bought a new Fusion RT that I assume was a MMT6 -put almost 100'000 on it trouble free-traded for a new Ecoboost Mustang.

• Like 2

About 2 1/2 years ago Australia was blessed with a refresh that saw the end of the 2.0 DI,

6-speed powershift and 5-speed manual. All were replaced with 1.5 I-4 Ecoboost and either

6F Auto or a 6-speed manual trans...what a transformation.

I think it's ridiculous that the rest of the world moved on with evolving the Focus and the US decoupled.

Surely, a case could have been made for using the Escape/Kuga engines and transmissions in Focus

as they were in the rest of the world.

Edited by jpd80

Girlfriend has decided she no longer likes her Subaru Forester (2015, already giving issues) so it is back to Ford and back to Escape....anyhoo...while I was perusing the showroom, they has a new Focus sitting there with a 1.0L EB 3 cylinder and a 6F15 6 speed auto.....my first thought was....should've brought that combo out a few years ago....

Girlfriend has decided she no longer likes her Subaru Forester (2015, already giving issues) so it is back to Ford and back to Escape....anyhoo...while I was perusing the showroom, they has a new Focus sitting there with a 1.0L EB 3 cylinder and a 6F15 6 speed auto.....my first thought was....should've brought that combo out a few years ago....

I am curious, folks at work complain about electrical gremlins and oil burning engines. They still drink the cool aid.

I am curious, folks at work complain about electrical gremlins and oil burning engines. They still drink the cool aid.

Well, I can tell you that the "check engine" light popped on just prior to warranty expiring and the repair was "replace alternator and tensioner pulley per TSB" as it was causing a "surge" in the electrical system and triggering the "check engine" light...now the rear brakes as getting noisy....36,500 miles on a 2015....she is pissed and is quoted saying, "I should've listened to you and bought a Ford!!! Three previous Escapes with no issues....Japanese junk!!!!"

I try not to argue with her when she has her mind set....we are currently looking at 2018 Escapes....lol