Thrilling Last Lap Duel Between Two Ford F150s

bobbyd

Why does it have to be a pushrod engine? Because NASCAR avoids the future like the plague.

In IMSA and WEC sports car racing there is a Gibson DOHC V8 spec engine and it does very well against even the top prototype power plants.

This LS into everything is utter nonsense. Ford has an endurance capable Coyote V8 available and co-developed through Roush/Yates.

The sad irony is that about 10 years ago Robert Yates himself stated that NASCAR should allow OHC V8s since it would solve a bunch of problems associated with pushrod engines.

https://roushyates.com/engines/ford-mustang/

I think its a complete waste of money to race in a series where you cant use your own engines. I dont consider that to be a representative of your brand. It still boggles my mind that Ford takes part in it.

Uniquely Ford doesn’t seem to care. When the quintessential ‘32 Ford turned 75 years old Ford held a big shindig to honor the most iconic ones and many if not most carried engines manufactured by their arch rivals. Think if that was a “thing” with the Corvette, would Gm throw a part in honor of bastardized Corvettes?

Ford really hasn't been a head in the HP wars since they abandoned the push rod engines. Must admit the LS engine has pretty much taken over the hot rod industry. They fit in everything, plenty of aftermarket support, cheap to build, plenty of HP, and easy to work on. So easy a 10 year old kid can build one. No special tools required, unlike the Mod and Coyote engines.

In some of the dirt late model stock cars series some of the teams will run a Chevy engine at some tracks and a Ford at others, in the same car. Depends which engine has the better power curve for that particular track. I believe the Ford is based on the FR9 NASCAR engine.