Ford recalls 550k Fusions and Escapes for shifter cable bushings

While Hackett cannot be held accountable for manufacturing defects in vehicles before his time,

he is the CEO and effective communication with stock holders, the media and owners is part of that.

I'm glad that more people are noticing that Ford no longer mentions quality, the CE) is in his own little world.

• Like 1

Because they are not. It's all about profits now.

The pathetic thing is - they're pinching to save pennies up front, and often times end up spending dollars later on to fix the thing. If they'd spend a little more in the beginning, they wouldn't have the issue of part failure later. On top of that, they avoid the bad press that all these multiple recalls of hundreds of thousands of units bring.

While Hackett cannot be held accountable for manufacturing defects in vehicles before his time,

he is the CEO and effective communication with stock holders, the media and owners is part of that.

I'm glad that more people are noticing that Ford no longer mentions quality, the CE) is in his own little world.

I wasn't implying these were his fault (they're not, as you point out), but in all of his major presentations I've seen, there's been zero, zilch, nada a mention of improving quality going forward.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

Penny wise dollar foolish! Is the ford family not concerned about the image these recalls depict? Cheap suppliers hired by cheap bean counters.

It is not the suppliers fault, they give options. Ford always takes the cheapest, and then wants it even cheaper (FCA is even worse than Ford is)

Penny wise dollar foolish! Is the ford family not concerned about the image these recalls depict? Cheap suppliers hired by cheap bean counters.

You and I both know Ford goes in cycles. They cut and cut some more until quality is so bad they have to address it, only to start cutting again once they think theyre spending too much.
  • Like 1

I wasn't implying these were his fault (they're not, as you point out), but in all of his major presentations I've seen, there's been zero, zilch, nada a mention of improving quality going forward.

Maybe Hackett is delegating mentions of the quality stuff to other executives. For example Jim VanSlambrouck. He is director of quality for the Americas at Ford. He was quoted in a press release about Ford's #1 ranking among U.S. car brands in 2018 J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/06/20/ford-motor-company-earns-its-best-ever-score-in-2018-j-d--power-.html

It is not the suppliers fault, they give options. Ford always takes the cheapest, and then wants it even cheaper (FCA is even worse than Ford is)

My understanding is ford squeezes the supplier so tight that some of them actually try and cheapen the costs by cutting corners. Think Takata. I am not sure which recall it was, but the released dealer letter was explained as the supplier didnt make the parts to ford specifications.

My understanding is ford squeezes the supplier so tight that some of them actually try and cheapen the costs by cutting corners. Think Takata. I am not sure which recall it was, but the released dealer letter was explained as the supplier didnt make the parts to ford specifications.

I'm sure that happens too, but almost all suppliers will design it exactly to what Ford wants. If there is a recall and the part isn't to Ford specifications the suppler would be responsible for the cost of it. Takata was all on Takata, and was so big OEM's had to eat the cost as they went bankrupt. Ford/Honda/VW etc were reimbursed from Takata for earlier recalls until the company failed.

A OEM might go to the suppliers and say you need to take XXX dollars out of this part and the suppler may say we can do it this way, but when that happens that will change the contract and usually release the suppler form liability form the part.

that is exactly how all the BS with the door latches happened

My post wasn't directed at what you said, merely to underscore that Hackett is in the chair now

and it's up to him to communicate company values in term of quality to interested parties.

Hidden behind the guile of AVs, EVs and mobility is the same ruthless pursuit of high profit

that drove Jac Nasser to seek income streams from new areas. It's the same game.

Maybe Hackett is delegating mentions of the quality stuff to other executives. For example Jim VanSlambrouck. He is director of quality for the Americas at Ford. He was quoted in a press release about Ford's #1 ranking among U.S. car brands in 2018 J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/06/20/ford-motor-company-earns-its-best-ever-score-in-2018-j-d--power-.html

I mean....it's great that the guy in charge of quality talks about quality, but it should come from the top if it's a priority.

I mean....it's great that the guy in charge of quality talks about quality, but it should come from the top if it's a priority.

Last year, Automotive News had an article about Joe Hinrichs and Ford's recent improvement in quality. Hinrichs became President of Americas at Ford in 2013. He said "Quality progress doesn't happen without direct leadership engagement and creating an environment where we can talk about the issues and work to solve them." http://www.autonews.com/article/20170625/OEM06/170629840/ford-quality-jdpower-ranking

Ford made big improvements in initial quality since 2013. Especially after 2016.

Ford's IQS rank
2018: 5th
2017: 4th
2016: 11th
2015: 12th
2014: 16th
2013: 27th
2012: 27th

Last year, Automotive News had an article about Joe Hinrichs and Ford's recent improvement in quality. Hinrichs became President of Americas at Ford in 2013. He said "Quality progress doesn't happen without direct leadership engagement and creating an environment where we can talk about the issues and work to solve them." http://www.autonews.com/article/20170625/OEM06/170629840/ford-quality-jdpower-ranking

Ford made big improvements in initial quality since 2013. Especially after 2016.

Ford's IQS rank

2018: 5th

2017: 4th

2016: 11th

2015: 12th

2014: 16th

2013: 27th

2012: 27th

I take zero stock in those numbers. The only reason they were so low in the first place is because of my ford touch

I take zero stock in those numbers. The only reason they were so low in the first place is because of my ford touch

I agree sir that MyFordTouch was an epic disaster. I think one Ford executive even took his fist to the screen in his company car after getting frustrated with MyFordTouch crashing. :hysterical:

But there were other quality issues too with Ford in 2012-2013 such as Ecoboost engines, transmissions, squeaks and rattles, etc. J.D. Power IQS measures all that stuff.

I agree sir that MyFordTouch was an epic disaster. I think one Ford executive even took his fist to the screen in his company car after getting frustrated with MyFordTouch crashing. :hysterical:

That was Mark Fields.

But there were other quality issues too with Ford in 2012-2013 such as Ecoboost engines, transmissions, squeaks and rattles, etc. J.D. Power IQS measures all that stuff.

indeed, but none of that was heavily weighted vs the MFT issues. J.D. Power and the like act as if the issues with mft meant the cars were about to spontaneously explode at any moment.