Ford, MBenz Dominate with same Playbook

Here is what it looks like on my SD...the gauges are all digital. I'm not sure what the smaller-screen version looks like.

gauges.jpeg

This design makes sense since the icons for the gauge are visible. On my buddies F250 XLT they changed the gauge needle so it is more easily read. Wonder if it is the same IP supplier for the 150 and 250? My gut says yes but not sure.

Im not seeing an issue. So anything with a c or h is temp of trans or engine. E or F is fuel and L and H is oil pressure. Seems pretty logical to me. Not to mention on the screen in the middle a warning would pop up if anything gets out of normal.

Are you a tech? If so it would be logical to you but I should just be able to look at the gauge and not think C/H L/O or whatever. I could look at 100 IPs and Ill damn near guarantee none of them will cover the icon with the needle. All they have to do is make the needle same size as it is for the Speedo and RPM. Its just a piss poor design.

Are you a tech? If so it would be logical to you but I should just be able to look at the gauge and not think C/H L/O or whatever. I could look at 100 IPs and Ill damn near guarantee none of them will cover the icon with the needle. All they have to do is make the needle same size as it is for the Speedo and RPM. Its just a piss poor design.

Yes Im a tech and find no issue with this. Some people have pet peeves about things others find minuscule .

post-25573-0-78852600-1532030537_thumb.png

Does anyone really watch their gauges other than the fuel gauge now anyway? I watch the temps while towing, but that's about it. The idiot gauges are in the middle up until they're about to the max anyway, so it doesn't matter much, and engines protect themselves so well today it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Does anyone really watch their gauges other than the fuel gauge now anyway? I watch the temps while towing, but that's about it. The idiot gauges are in the middle up until they're about to the max anyway, so it doesn't matter much, and engines protect themselves so well today it doesn't matter.

Amen. The only reason I ever watch the temperature gauge is in winter so I know when I can crank the heat and its not blasting me with cold air.
  • Like 1

It's funny--although the needles in the gauges partly cover the icons, it's really not that difficult to tell what they are. It's not bad design, it's just a pet peeve.

Amen. The only reason I ever watch the temperature gauge is in winter so I know when I can crank the heat and its not blasting me with cold air.

Does your Fusion have manual HVAC? With the auto climate control it won’t turn the fans on until the engine warms up.

Does your Fusion have manual HVAC? With the auto climate control it wont turn the fans on until the engine warms up.

The Fusion doesnt, and I didnt know that, its the first car Ive had with the auto climate control. My Focus is manual climate though, and I know when the engine temperature reaches just past the C I can crank the heat.

As the operator of any vehicle, you are responsible by law and by common sense to know the vehicle and all of its controls before you begin operation.

Take some responsibility for your actions instead of pinning it on the manufacturer.

Edited by J-150
  • Like 1

As the operator of any vehicle, you are responsible by law and by common sense to know the vehicle and all of its controls before you begin operation.

Take some responsibility for your actions instead of pinning it on the manufacturer.

What a stupid comment.

If Ford thought it was such a great design they would of kept it the same in the F250. I pointed out that you cannot easily see what gauge you are looking at and that all they needed to do was make the gauge needle thinner. It is my right to point things out, if you don't agree, so be it. But I am not going to give passes when things don't make sense.

What a stupid comment.

If Ford thought it was such a great design they would of kept it the same in the F250. I pointed out that you cannot easily see what gauge you are looking at and that all they needed to do was make the gauge needle thinner. It is my right to point things out, if you don't agree, so be it. But I am not going to give passes when things don't make sense.

Every right also requires a responsibility. Which you are still evading.

• Like 1

The only time I've ever looked at them is when I noticed the temperature one shot into the H - I was only a few blocks from home so I made it there, but turned out the radiator fan died, so it was getting hot.

Finally realized it was what gear I was in. WTF do I want to know what gear my auto is in? Nobody ever shows that and it is useless. If I was in sport mode or a Mustang, maybe but just in auto to show it is stupid.

Plus the top gauges indicators completely suck. They are wide and cover the pic of what that gauge is for.

The problem is you universally claim that the gear indicator is stupid and clearly it's not because people who actually own F150s actually like it and use it quite often. It's also mandatory if you want to lock out gears. And in auto mode the display is completely optional.

All you had to say was you don't think you would use it and leave it at that.

On the gauge needles, you're the only one who seems to feel that it's a bad design. And again all you had to say was that you don't like the way the needles hide the icon and leave it at that.

When you try to make objective statements that others disagree with you're going to get an argument. Stick to "I like" or "I don't like" and you won't.

• Like 1

What a stupid comment.

You are spending a serious amount of time defending your position. I have a 17 F150 and I see no issue whatsoever. And thats not from fanboy perspective, thats from a realist perspective. You do have a right to your opinion, but thats what it is an opinion. Edited by tbone

I was trying to upload a pic but was having issues. Lol.

Ok you have a new XLT I think? Top gauges-gas, coolant,etc are at the top. The width of that gauge is so wide that after it gets to normal operating temps you cannot tell which gauge is coolant and which one is engine pressure etc. you know your truck so it is a moot point. But Ford obviously saw the issue and changed it on the F250and Expedition. Small thing but it Should of never been built this way.

After a couple of weeks of owning the truck, you would have committed the locations to memory as they will stay in the same place and not be configurable like an LCD screen. I would see it as a problem if you rented the truck or it's a company truck in which you are not a primary driver, but as others pointed out the E to F can only be a fuel gauge and so on.

The problem is you universally claim that the gear indicator is stupid and clearly it's not because people who actually own F150s actually like it and use it quite often. It's also mandatory if you want to lock out gears. And in auto mode the display is completely optional.

All you had to say was you don't think you would use it and leave it at that.

On the gauge needles, you're the only one who seems to feel that it's a bad design. And again all you had to say was that you don't like the way the needles hide the icon and leave it at that.

When you try to make objective statements that others disagree with you're going to get an argument. Stick to "I like" or "I don't like" and you won't.

Fair enough

95% of this forum is opinions and I hear the responses loud and clear.

Ill be more sensitive next time I critique something to keep the peace:)