Will Lincoln ever build a coupe on the mustang platform?

Just me personally, I'd rather Lincoln NOT do a Mustang. I think Ford would be better off building Mustangs under it's heritage name. Sort of like what Ford has done with the F150 instead of doing a Lincoln truck. We know how well that went.

What I would rather Lincoln do is come out with a performance electrified vehicle. Something more akin to a Tesla model S with ludicrous mode. From watching Caddy sales, I just don't see Ford being able to get their return on investment with a Mustang model. Not without resorting to the old parts bin and not making it unique enough. I full on electric I think they could pull off. Or if nothing else, a performance hybrid, sort of like what Porsche has done lately.

As far as the Mustang goes, I think they could stretch the platform models deeper like they've done with the F150. They could make one with enough high quality parts and interior that could satisfy most Americans, and turn more profit.

Just my 2 cents anyway...

CD6 Lincoln coupe would be as much a "Mustang" based coupe as an Aviator based coupe. So I think we can drop the whole Mustang argument... whether that makes sense or not. That's not how modular flexible architecture works.

And since CD6 is fully EV and PHEV capable (as are all Ford platforms going forward), I think it is a foregone conclusion that a Lincoln coupe if it happens will be a PHEV if not EV. Luxury car buyers will be expecting it by the time Ford can execute this project and deliver it.

Edited by bzcat

Given Lincoln's desire for differentiation, I wonder if that Coupe would differ from Mustang in wheelbase,

much like the Mercury Cougar of old - a longer wheelbase for added rear leg room and maybe some

baby suicide doors like Mazda RX-8 only much better....

(Sorry, all over the place with pain meds at the moment)

Edited by jpd80

The Mustang is NOT moving to CD6, those plans were cancelled along with the CD6 Continental. The NG 2022 Mustang is the S650 and it's being developed on the current platform. Mustang does get a 5.0 V8 Hybrid.

Lincoln has no new cars/sedans arriving by 2023, beyond that I don't know yet. They are adding two more Utilities after Aviator and Corsair, one of them is coming in 2023 and is built on C2 with the same wheelbase. It will be built and imported from China alongside the Focus Active.

For what it's worth, Mustang shares many modules and suspension components with CD4 and CD6.

Edited by Assimilator

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2018 at 10:39 PM, TBirdStangSkyliner said:

A Lincoln on the current Mustang platform would be totally inappropriate. This platform's ergos, build quality potential, AWD limitations, and NVH, are just too far behind what Lincoln needs to be. CD6 should lend itself well, though, for building a really memorable Mark X. I've always liked Mustangs, but they are just real far behind what luxury sports coupe now offer in both luxury and sport.

Totally agree!