18 navigator left me on the road today

Paddy80

It couldnt have happened at a worse place or time. It overheated and went into limp on a narrow part of the trans Canada in glacier national park. It has been towed hope the motor isnt fried. On second thought my family is lucky to be alive had a few narrow misses with big trucks.

It couldnt have happened at a worse place or time. It overheated and went into limp on a narrow part of the trans Canada in glacier national park. It has been towed hope the motor isnt fried. On second thought my family is lucky to be alive had a few narrow misses with big trucks.

Any ideas as to what happened? How long and how many miles have you had it for? That really sucks, sounds like youre on a vacation as well, I hope it gets sorted out quickly.

Hey thanks, it has about 5000miles, it boiled the coolant out from somewhere. It happened in a construction zone I had to drive quite a way to find a reasonably safe spot to turn off. There are a lot of “recently Canadian” truck drivers here, they pass on the shoulders because they have no idea what they are doing. It was quite an experience. Lincoln roadside assistance was great thankfully I had cell service.

The problem was an improperly installed hose clamp, human error from the factory. So the clamp will be reinstalled and Ill be sent on my way with a boiled motor. To say that Im disappointed is an understatement.

I wouldnt worry about engine damage. For one you have a 7/70 Powertrain warranty and if something was damaged it will show well before then. Also, those engines have fail safe cooling and go into a cylinder head protection mode when overheated. I hate that it happened and glad everyone is ok, but I wouldnt worry too much about damage. Remember the Cadillac North Star commercials with the drive 50 miles with no coolant. Same theory here.

I wouldnt worry about engine damage. For one you have a 7/70 Powertrain warranty and if something was damaged it will show well before then. Also, those engines have fail safe cooling and go into a cylinder head protection mode when overheated. I hate that it happened and glad everyone is ok, but I wouldnt worry too much about damage. Remember the Cadillac North Star commercials with the drive 50 miles with no coolant. Same theory here.

It’ll probably be better after the fix, the engine fan was always running and I had no idea why.

• 2 months later...

Itll probably be better after the fix, the engine fan was always running and I had no idea why.

Could be turbo related maybe?

I had a S-Class that started doing that after a dealer service. Turned out that tech forget to refill one of the turbocharger coolant tanks; so the fan started running even after the engine was turned off in order to keep turbo cool...

Could be turbo related maybe?

I had a S-Class that started doing that after a dealer service. Turned out that tech forget to refill one of the turbocharger coolant tanks; so the fan started running even after the engine was turned off in order to keep turbo cool...

Interesting since I just had the first service done two days ago. Ill ceck the manual for any serviceable reservoirs and check them.

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2018 at 8:38 AM, Paddy80 said:

Thread update... I filed an expense report with Lincoln for a hotel room and dinner for leaving stranded. Surprisingly I havent heard a thing. Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder if Lincoln will come good on this???

Lincoln sent me my expenses, with a nice letter including an apology. Paid for my dinner drinks and stay for the night. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paddy80 said:

Lincoln sent me my expenses, with a nice letter including an apology. Paid for my dinner drinks and stay for the night. 

Hi Paddy.  Happy to hear it all worked out in the end.  My experiences with Lincoln/Lincoln Concierge have also been very good.

Good luck!

Edited by bbf2530