Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

18 navigator left me on the road today

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paddy80

Paddy80

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 12-July 18
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • Current Vehicle:Navigator

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:12 PM

It couldnt have happened at a worse place or time. It overheated and went into limp on a narrow part of the trans Canada in glacier national park. It has been towed hope the motor isnt fried. On second thought my family is lucky to be alive had a few narrow misses with big trucks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   boredinbirmingham

boredinbirmingham

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 06-August 17
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Navigator Reserve

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:52 AM

It couldnt have happened at a worse place or time. It overheated and went into limp on a narrow part of the trans Canada in glacier national park. It has been towed hope the motor isnt fried. On second thought my family is lucky to be alive had a few narrow misses with big trucks.

Any ideas as to what happened? How long and how many miles have you had it for? That really sucks, sounds like youre on a vacation as well, I hope it gets sorted out quickly.

#3 OFFLINE   Paddy80

Paddy80

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 12-July 18

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

Hey thanks, it has about 5000miles, it boiled the coolant out from somewhere. It happened in a construction zone I had to drive quite a way to find a reasonably safe spot to turn off. There are a lot of “recently Canadian” truck drivers here, they pass on the shoulders because they have no idea what they are doing. It was quite an experience. Lincoln roadside assistance was great thankfully I had cell service.

#4 OFFLINE   Paddy80

Paddy80

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 12-July 18

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:46 AM

The problem was an improperly installed hose clamp, human error from the factory. So the clamp will be reinstalled and I’ll be sent on my way with a boiled motor. To say that I’m disappointed is an understatement.

#5 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SEL, 2007 Volvo C70, 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2005 Ford Focus

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

The problem was an improperly installed hose clamp, human error from the factory. So the clamp will be reinstalled and Ill be sent on my way with a boiled motor. To say that Im disappointed is an understatement.

I wouldnt worry about engine damage. For one you have a 7/70 Powertrain warranty and if something was damaged it will show well before then. Also, those engines have fail safe cooling and go into a cylinder head protection mode when overheated. I hate that it happened and glad everyone is ok, but I wouldnt worry too much about damage. Remember the Cadillac North Star commercials with the drive 50 miles with no coolant. Same theory here.

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 29,392 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2018 F150 Supercab XLT Magnetic Grey 3.5LEB

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

Exactly.   It sucks and was terribly inconvenient but should not be an ongoing concern.

2018 F150 Supercab XLT Sport (Magnetic) - 3.5LEB
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

#7 OFFLINE   Paddy80

Paddy80

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 12-July 18

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:18 AM

I wouldnt worry about engine damage. For one you have a 7/70 Powertrain warranty and if something was damaged it will show well before then. Also, those engines have fail safe cooling and go into a cylinder head protection mode when overheated. I hate that it happened and glad everyone is ok, but I wouldnt worry too much about damage. Remember the Cadillac North Star commercials with the drive 50 miles with no coolant. Same theory here.

It’ll probably be better after the fix, the engine fan was always running and I had no idea why.

#8 OFFLINE   Paddy80

Paddy80

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 12-July 18

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

Thread update... I filed an expense report with Lincoln for a hotel room and dinner for leaving stranded. Surprisingly I havent heard a thing. Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder if Lincoln will come good on this???

#9 OFFLINE   boredinbirmingham

boredinbirmingham

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 06-August 17

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:48 PM

So did your fan ever run when the engine was off? Mine came on today in the garage a couple minutes after turning off the engine, scared me to death. I started the vehicle and let it run about 30 seconds and shut it down and the fan didnt come back on after that.

#10 OFFLINE   Navi657

Navi657

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 08-January 18
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Mercedes S550 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:58 PM

Itll probably be better after the fix, the engine fan was always running and I had no idea why.

Could be turbo related maybe?
I had a S-Class that started doing that after a dealer service. Turned out that tech forget to refill one of the turbocharger coolant tanks; so the fan started running even after the engine was turned off in order to keep turbo cool...

#11 OFFLINE   boredinbirmingham

boredinbirmingham

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 06-August 17

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

Could be turbo related maybe?
I had a S-Class that started doing that after a dealer service. Turned out that tech forget to refill one of the turbocharger coolant tanks; so the fan started running even after the engine was turned off in order to keep turbo cool...

Interesting since I just had the first service done two days ago. Ill ceck the manual for any serviceable reservoirs and check them.

#12 OFFLINE   boredinbirmingham

boredinbirmingham

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 06-August 17

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

FYI the cooling is all one system.

Custom Search