Fusion to live on, as Sports Wagon

It's NOT a wagon, but it is Ford's idea on how to transition those customers away from wagons which will eventually die off alongside the sedan/car. It is a global Ford product. I think it's a smart product, but it's not that close to release so I'm not sure how this lines up with the end of Fusion...I suspect it doesn't really.

To me all SUV/CUV's are wagons, tall ones yes but wagons just the same. People may think they aren't cool but SUV's are. Ironically it seems all the newest SUV's are actually getting lower and more "Wagon Like" anyway.

• Like 2

My F-250 has been a wonderful truck. I've never had a bad Ford truck. Since I will be forced to buy another brand sedan, then it only makes sense to look at what else is out there. Thus far Ford has held quality up on the trucks. But this new Ford; I don't trust them. I don't think I'm the only one that will take this view.

That really doesnt make a lot of sense to me. I have always bought Ford trucks because they have treated me well, however my wife has had various brands of SUVs and cars, to include Ford, Infinity, GMC, and Hondas. To each their own I guess.

The hatch looks just like the sedan. I think the lower one nailed it.

And this is where market preferences will play a big part in what Ford actually does, we may find that Ford

delivers the sports wagon version but also has a companion hatchback for say, the Fusion Sport and Lincoln

I'm thinking of a way that Fusion HB can live on as a companion product to the Sport wagon much like

Taurus did with Explorer. That way, most of the plant's costs would be born by the utility product.

In the end it might be easier to do a Sports Wagon on CD6 and be done with it...

Edited by jpd80

It's not being developed on the Mondeo, there is no NG Mondeo in development besides the forthcoming facelift. Ford wants to get rid of CD4 so there are no new vehicles coming from that platform at all. It's being developed on the new consolidated FWD architecture, commonly known as C2. I could see this replacing Mondeo and Fusion customers...at least the customers they care about. Either way it doesn't look like a wagon but is a bit lower to the ground and will also be coming to Lincoln. I'm still unclear on what Lincoln's sedan plans are since the Ford people I know don't work with Lincoln. Apparently they have a new sedan on the drawing board but I'm not sure where that's coming from, it has to cost them a fortune to develop on their own unless it's the remnants of the cancelled Fusion.

Anyway, the Low-C utility is actually an important part of fixing their China problem as well, not strictly to appeal to Subaru fans which is a uniquely US phenomenon.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

It's not being developed on the Mondeo, there is no NG Mondeo in development besides the forthcoming facelift. Ford wants to get rid of CD4 so there are no new vehicles coming from that platform at all. It's being developed on the new consolidated FWD architecture, commonly known as C2. I could see this replacing Mondeo and Fusion customers...at least the customers they care about. Either way it doesn't look like a wagon but is a bit lower to the ground and will also be coming to Lincoln. I'm still unclear on what Lincoln's sedan plans are since the Ford people I know don't work with Lincoln. Apparently they have a new sedan on the drawing board but I'm not sure where that's coming from, it has to cost them a fortune to develop on their own unless it's the remnants of the cancelled Fusion.

Anyway, the Low-C utility is actually an important part of fixing their China problem as well, not strictly to appeal to Subaru fans which is a uniquely US phenomenon.

there is or at least was a C2 Mondeo being developed for China,

I’ll have to check with a few people and find out what’s changed

I may have missed elsewhere on this forum if you have mentioned this so pardon me for asking this, but how have you seen this new 'Fusion' utility already? Do you work for Ford or know someone from within that enabled you to see pictures or in person? Never knew that Lincoln is going to get their utility too. That will be interesting to see though still a long ways off for both.

I finally saw one in person last weekend. I thought it looked awful. Pictures definitely made it look better and I wasnt a fan to begin with.

Were you and tbone referring to the upcoming 'Fusion' utility as Assimilator was or were you both referring to akirby's comment regarding the Buick Regal TourX and that picture he posted above?

Edited by pffan1990

I may have missed elsewhere on this forum if you have mentioned this so pardon me for asking this, but how have you seen this new 'Fusion' utility already? Do you work for Ford or know someone from within that enabled you to see pictures or in person? Never knew that Lincoln is going to get their utility too. That will be interesting to see though still a long ways off for both.

Fixed.

From Page 2 of this thread,

Assimilator, Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

I can tell you that the utility supposedly replacing the Fusion was never suppose to be named Fusion and it definitely does not resemble a station wagon (fortunately). It is an excellent substitute for a midsize car but it was originally developed as a stylish coupe-like utility. I don't see the Subaru connection at all but I think that's just color commentary.

Fusion name added after Dealer Conference with Ford last month, they asked Ford to continue the name

to make it easier to sell the new product.

Were you and tbone referring to the upcoming 'Fusion' utility as Assimilator was or were you both referring to akirby's comment regarding the Buick Regal TourX and that picture he posted above?

Buick Regal TourX

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

It's NOT a wagon, but it is Ford's idea on how to transition those customers away from wagons which will eventually die off alongside the sedan/car. It is a global Ford product. I think it's a smart product, but it's not that close to release so I'm not sure how this lines up with the end of Fusion...I suspect it doesn't really.

If there a product made by any manufacturer made today (or in the past) that looks the most like the Ford car your are describing, what would that be?

I would say it's packaged like an Infiniti QX50, it doesn't really look like one however but I could see the Lincoln looking like it. I'm mostly aware of the Ford engineering parameters and customer/competitive targets, the designs are rough sketches. I want to say it's a lower and smaller Edge but the design isn't that similar and has that characteristic long hood but fewer sculpted lines with a fascia thats not too dissimilar to the Mustang inspired Mach 1.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

I would say it's packaged like an Infiniti QX60, it doesn't really look like one however but I could see the Lincoln looking like it. I'm mostly aware of the Ford engineering parameters and customer/competitive targets, the designs are rough sketches. I want to say it's a lower and smaller Edge but the design isn't that similar and has that characteristic long hood but fewer sculpted lines with a fascia thats not too dissimilar to the Mustang inspired Mach 1.

Ah, ok. I was thinking along the lines of it being packaged like a BMW x6, but this is more CUV looking. I love the look of the X2 and I think that could be something I would like for myself if Ford makes one like that.

In any case, and interesting transition is ahead...

Ah, ok. I was thinking along the lines of it being packaged like a BMW x6, but this is more CUV looking. I love the look of the X2 and I think that could be something I would like for myself if Ford makes one like that.

In any case, and interesting transition is ahead...

The X2 has good lines. If they built something like that I think it could be a winner.

I would say it's packaged like an Infiniti QX50, it doesn't really look like one however but I could see the Lincoln looking like it. I'm mostly aware of the Ford engineering parameters and customer/competitive targets, the designs are rough sketches. I want to say it's a lower and smaller Edge but the design isn't that similar and has that characteristic long hood but fewer sculpted lines with a fascia thats not too dissimilar to the Mustang inspired Mach 1.

Thinking the "Fusion Active" will be a C2 car while "Mach 1/Maverick" will be the CD6 rwd/awd performance utility (kinda like 04-08 Dodge Magnum).